Ashers cake controversy.

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie d

There may not be similarities here but,

a few years ago a man was asked to leave a well known restaurant as he has visible tattoos on his face. This is a policy by the restaurant however could it be seen as discriminating against how someone looks/who they are?

Did the equality commission bring this case forward?

topcuppla

ziggysego

I was told to get off an London Red Bus a number of years ago because the ticket collector deemed me a fire hazard. God Bless the Londoners, they stood up for me and my right to stand on the bus. The ticket collector backed down.
Testing Accessibility

topcuppla

muppet

Quote from: eddie d on May 20, 2015, 05:09:47 PM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 20, 2015, 04:52:25 PM
Quote from: eddie d on May 20, 2015, 04:49:52 PM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 20, 2015, 04:47:19 PM
Was he homosexual?

no

Wouldn't have thought he was discriminated against then.

ok

Discrimination is legally defined in (probably) every jurisdiction, thus there are small differences from state to state. But the usual list includes religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, traveller (in the 26 anyway) and a few more I can't think of. Having a tattoo isn't one of them so it would be highly unlikely to succeed in a discrimination case.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Quote from: ziggysego on May 20, 2015, 04:47:58 PM
I was told to get off an London Red Bus a number of years ago because the ticket collector deemed me a fire hazard. God Bless the Londoners, they stood up for me and my right to stand on the bus. The ticket collector backed down.

You've been called worse  ;)

whitey

Quote from: muppet on May 20, 2015, 05:16:16 PM
Was he homosexual?

no

ok

Discrimination is legally defined in (probably) every jurisdiction, thus there are small differences from state to state. But the usual list includes religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, traveller (in the 26 anyway) and a few more I can't think of. Having a tattoo isn't one of them so it would be highly unlikely to succeed in a discrimination case.

Just thinking aloud......should there be some adverse outcome for the victim apart from hurt feelings in order for it to be considered discrimination. 

What about a restaurant that requires gentlemen to wear a suit jacket......would that be considered discriminatory against those who either dont own or cant afford a suit jacket.....

foxcommander

Quote from: whitey on May 20, 2015, 05:24:19 PM
Was he homosexual?

no

ok

Just thinking aloud......should there be some adverse outcome for the victim apart from hurt feelings in order for it to be considered discrimination. 

What about a restaurant that requires gentlemen to wear a suit jacket......would that be considered discriminatory against those who either dont own or cant afford a suit jacket.....

What about bouncers who won't let you in to the nightclub because they don't like the look of you?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

eddie d

Was he homosexual?

no

ok

That's fine muppet, but what is up with the picture you put up? I don't get it

whitey

Quote from: foxcommander on May 20, 2015, 05:26:09 PM
Quote from: whitey on May 20, 2015, 05:24:19 PM
Was he homosexual?

no

ok

What about bouncers who won't let you in to the nightclub because they don't like the look of you?

Cousin of mine from Liverpool told "no fvcking Scousers" at a pub in Temple Bar....hmmmm

Maguire01

Quote from: topcuppla on May 20, 2015, 04:08:46 PM
The man went out of his way to be offended and got offended, but political correctness these days particularly around homosexuality is unbelievable and hence the media hype around it.
It was accepted by the defence - indeed it was part of their defence - that this man had been a regular customer at Ashers. So he didn't go out of his way at all - it appears he went to his regular bakery.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 20, 2015, 08:50:47 PM
The man went out of his way to be offended and got offended, but political correctness these days particularly around homosexuality is unbelievable and hence the media hype around it.
It was accepted by the defence - indeed it was part of their defence - that this man had been a regular customer at Ashers. So he didn't go out of his way at all - it appears he went to his regular bakery.

There are a number of posters here that you could explain this to a million times, but it won't change anything in their tiny minds.
MWWSI 2017

topcuppla

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 20, 2015, 08:50:47 PM

He therefore knew their beliefs and choose to use his position as a gay rights activists to try and humiliate them.