Leinster Minor Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 07, 2016, 01:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

A lot of the time it doesn't have to do with underage structures. Maybe it comes down to the fact that maybe they don't have the players. A good footballer doesn't need to be taught he already has it naturally like beano Conway munelly Kingston . Did you ever hear the saying ' you can't turn an ass into a racehorse '

clonadmad

Quote from: Laoiseabu on January 31, 2017, 07:19:00 PM
A lot of the time it doesn't have to do with underage structures. Maybe it comes down to the fact that maybe they don't have the players. A good footballer doesn't need to be taught he already has it naturally like beano Conway munelly Kingston . Did you ever hear the saying ' you can't turn an ass into a racehorse '

Well in that case,we can give up as coach's,sack the GDA's,dissolve all the juvenile structures because these lads will magically appear.

Jesus wept

Keyser Söze

Quote from: clonadmad on January 31, 2017, 07:34:21 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on January 31, 2017, 07:19:00 PM

Well in that case,we can give up as coach's,sack the GDA's,dissolve all the juvenile structures because these lads will magically appear.

Jesus wept

Have to get myself checked out after this, but agreed, that's a very caveman-esque comment.
Sure footballers will often develop regardless of the structures in place at club or county level. They often come from GAA backgrounds and their development often happens as a result of the fact that they know nothing else except deliberate practice from a young age.
HOWEVER,
You will never develop players in sufficient quantities to be successful at club or county level without hours and hours of painstaking manhours.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Zooming around

Quote from: Oblivion on January 31, 2017, 03:41:08 PM
In respect of the comments about the 4 Spink lads just been athletic, having seen Spink in action against a couple
of more fancied teams last year, I thought  they were exceptional.

If you looked at that squad for the last 2-3 years most of the squad have been involved in various Feile Panels
with Ballyroan and St. Pauls and both teams represented Laois well.

No wonder people worry about Juvenile football and kids get turned off when you see comments like the ones about the Spink
Players  with many of them good soccer players too.

Its best to brand the kids at that age with hot irons to say Football or hurling. I understand that Diarmud Connolly is a better hurler and was a better juvenile hurler than footballer and played both at juvenile level. I am sure the same could have been said about him and it looks like its worked out for him and Dublin been an athletic hurler playing football.

First of all I didn't mention the four Spink lads, I mentioned two of them. They are out and out hurlers who just play football for a bit of a laugh.

Diarmuid Connolly was always first and foremost a footballer. He happened to be good at hurling but because he was always a footballer he ended up.... wait for it... playing football.

Oblivion

Yes I will give you that you mentioned two lads from Spink not 4 as just playing football for a laugh
and hurlers but the point been let them play and then make a choice.. They obviously showed something to the coaches
that was worthwhile in the greater scheme of things. Unless of course they were wearing helmets and carrying hurls
in the trials they must have shown a bit of footballing ability.

A number of people who were on the under 14 panel last year were dropped this year from the under 15 panel and there
was several trial days. So based on the coaches (opinion)  that's the best 31 currently at that age level regardless of them dwelling
in the towns or villages across Laois.

Hmmmmm, Diarmud Connolly had to make a choice to play football, his father is a Kilkenny man and check out the man
who happened to be good at hurling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IAAWKjRa1w

If the 2 spink lads who play football are as good at either well the future is bright.

its better to support all the emerging underage teams than have a go at them. This years minors will have a significant amount
of under 17's so possibly only possibly there is some significant talent pushing through. 

OTF

Quote from: clonadmad on January 31, 2017, 04:24:57 PM
Quote from: OTF on January 27, 2017, 09:35:35 AM
Quote from: redsetanta on January 26, 2017, 05:37:16 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread for this but below is the U15 panel for 2017.

Interesting to see that the likes of Spink can have 4 representatives while the big urban centres of Graigue, Port and Mountmellick have a total of 2 between them (Mountmellick don't have anyone on the panel). In saying that there's only one representative from the entire Arles parish.

The county board really need to have a look at these figures and get coaches into the urban centres. They are not turning out enough younglads of the right standard whether it be skill or attitude. There has to be more than 2 footballers in those 3 areas??

Laois Under-15 Football Panel for 2017 was today named and is as follows:

Oisin Byrne Arles/Killeen
Adam Connolly Ballyfin
Danny Brennan Ballyroan/Abbey
Eoghan Dunne Ballyroan/Abbey
Adam Broady Ballyroan/Abbey
Brian Whelan Ballyroan/Abbey
James McWey Ballyroan/Abbey
Jamie Burke Barrowhouse
Adam Daly Clonaslee
DJ Callaghan Clonaslee
Ciaran Burke Crettyard
Daniel Murphy Graiguecullen
Orrie Doran Killeshin
Jack Brennan Killeshin
David McDonald Killeshin
Rioghan Murphy Portarlington
Ben Brennan Portlaoise
Kevin Swayne Portlaoise
Cormac Dunne Portlaoise
Cian O Shaughnessy Spink
Cathal O Shaughnessy Spink
Mark Kehoe Spink
Jamie Stratford Spink
Nathan Little St Pauls
Sean Greene St Pauls
Paul O Flynn St Pauls
Josh O Brien St Josephs
Jamie Kelly St Josephs
Conor Goode Stradbally
Eamon Delaney Stradbally
Ciaran O Neill Stradbally

With all due respect to the smaller clubs and the effort they're clearly  putting in,  Graigue , Port , Mountmellick and Portlaoise should be providing more than half that panel.  Its no coincidence that we have fallen away so badly at underage level.
There wont be any happy ending here.

This type of post really gets on my tits,instead of praising the huge work being done by these "unfashionable" clubs and reaping the rewards as evidenced by this panel,you are whining over the likes of graigue and Portlaoise.

The reason why they dont have lads on the panel is obvious......the work isnt being put in at underage level,if Portlaoise put as much time and money into coaching last year as they did in dragging a junior club to the DRA to poach an U16 or effort in tapping up our juveniles they would be much better served.

As for Graigecullen the only title they deserve in underage these past few years is the title of Laois Club which concedes the most juvenile games.

I don't for one minute believe that you don't understand my post but don't let that get in the way of having another rant at Portlaoise.
What did Grague do to upset you so.

Target Man

Think that result is from a few years ago. Carlow CBS won stg Leinster b on fri

redsetanta

You're right. A monday morning brain fart. Feb 2013 that was from. Deleted now! :-[
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

GAA-SMART

SCFC

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on February 11, 2017, 04:38:15 PM
Quote from: GAA-SMART on February 11, 2017, 03:06:28 PM
Any word on how the games going ?
Won handy. 4-15 to 0-6 I think.
Arent some Wexford shower in the All Ireland schools semi final? I'd imagine thats a very weakened Wexford side.

Still, we should probably light a few bonfires for the boys on the way back from Ferns.

Unison

Quote from: Don Draper on February 11, 2017, 04:41:43 PM
Arent some Wexford shower in the All Ireland schools semi final? I'd imagine thats a very weakened Wexford side.

Still, we should probably light a few bonfires for the boys on the way back from Ferns.

What an idiot!!

SCFC

Harsh, Don.
They can only beat what they come up against. Word is they aren't a very strong team but would be nice to see them go as far as last year. That would be a decent return.

clonadmad

If only we as a county had won as much as Wexford down through the years

ollie12

Laois 4-15 Wexford 0-06.
SCORERS – Laois: Ciaran Comerford 2-7, Sean O'Flynn 1-1, Alan Kinsella 1-0, Mark Barry and Ronan McEvoy 0-2 each, Conor Slevin, Jason Maher, Eoin Dunne 0-1 each

LAOIS
1. Tom McCann (Portarlington)
2. Michael Dowling (Portlaoise)
3. Gary Saunders (Portlaoise)
4. Daniel Comerford (The Harps)
5. Cian Langford (Emo)
6. Sean O'Flynn (Courtwood)
7. Colin Slevin (Portarlington)
8. Ciaran Comerford (The Harps)
9. John Rogers (Ballyroan)
10. Mark Barry (O'Dempsey's)
11. Alan Kinsella (Courtwood)