Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 03, 2020, 09:12:27 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 03, 2020, 08:10:40 PM
Is David Gough the official gatekeeper for the gay community in Ireland? Whatever about the word used, I would have thought it was more offensive that RTE think one gay man speaks on behalf of the whole community and can administer and absolve blame unilaterally.  "It's ok lads, huge relief, Colm has spoken to a gay man and has been given the all clear, we can move on, phew!!"

He is for the GAA community no matter if he likes it or not. To that end, I don't think Gough should get a hard time for anything here, a public backlash could really make young players or even players think twice about possibly coming out. The GAA needs to be embracing postiive criticism in this area and really going the extra mile to making itself more than inclusive. I don't think it's the worse thing in the world to say, but I'm willing to accept its off limits if it helps some man or woman in our sport.

It isn't Gough's sexuality that's at issue here, but his ultimately embarrassing attempt to get his fellow countyman kicked off RTE for what was in the scheme of things a harmless remark. Despicable behaviour.

Rudi

Is David Gough the official gatekeeper for the gay community in Ireland? Whatever about the word used, I would have thought it was more offensive that RTE think one gay man speaks on behalf of the whole community and can administer and absolve blame unilaterally.  "It's ok lads, huge relief, Colm has spoken to a gay man and has been given the all clear, we can move on, phew!!"

Plus 1 to that. The Oxford Dictionary definition of pansy does not infer homosexuality. As one poster said, Gough should have contacted O Rourke personally. All this want to be offended lark is turning me off homosexuals. Hi jacked the rainbow now they've hijacked the pansy.

Westside

A horrible phrase to come out with even if he didn't mean it in any sort of homosexual slur. I'd be unhappy if I had a son going to his school. He's from a different time though I suppose so hopefully this shit will mostly die out with his generation. Having traits or characteristics mostly viewed as feminine doesn't make you weak. There's young lads across the country killing themselves because only 'pansy boys' talk about their feelings. That's an extreme example but it's all coming from the same place. Don't think there should be any question of him losing his job but hope someone had a stern word in his ear.

macdanger2

Quote from: Taylor on February 03, 2020, 04:20:39 PM
Quote from: pbat on February 03, 2020, 04:14:43 PM
UPDATE:

RTÉ have confirmed in a statement to SportsJOE that;

"It is RTÉ's understanding that Colm O'Rourke and David Gough have been in touch with each other privately on this matter."

The station has "no further comment" about the remarks made by O'Rourke.
4:04 pm · 3 Feb 2020·Twitter Web App

I certainly do not want to see Colm go as he is good at his job.

But the comment wasnt directed at Gough so how can they have no further comments to make because Colm had a private conversation with Gough?

If this was Brolly the pitchforks would be out.

Is Gough running the show now? He's a referee for feck sake. Thats it

Is he? I can't remember the last time he made an insightful comment about football

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 03, 2020, 10:54:04 PM
Quote from: Taylor on February 03, 2020, 04:20:39 PM
Quote from: pbat on February 03, 2020, 04:14:43 PM
UPDATE:

RTÉ have confirmed in a statement to SportsJOE that;

"It is RTÉ's understanding that Colm O'Rourke and David Gough have been in touch with each other privately on this matter."

The station has "no further comment" about the remarks made by O'Rourke.
4:04 pm · 3 Feb 2020·Twitter Web App

I certainly do not want to see Colm go as he is good at his job.

But the comment wasnt directed at Gough so how can they have no further comments to make because Colm had a private conversation with Gough?

If this was Brolly the pitchforks would be out.

Is Gough running the show now? He's a referee for feck sake. Thats it

Is he? I can't remember the last time he made an insightful comment about football

Agree with MacD here. Always felt he was stealing a living. He passed the criteria in Gaelic football for having a opinion - which is having an All Ireland medal.

Angelo

The only thing O'Rourke offers is telling us what such tough men they were in his day and how Dublin and Kerry are the saviours of football.

He's a dinosaur.

On the matter itself, it's political correctness gone mad - nothing comment really. I didn't actually know pansy boy was a slur for gays, thought it was more for a chap who is a bit of a coward.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Dougal Maguire

It's political correctness gone haywire. It's quite ironic that the very liberals who protest for freedom of speech have, through their political correctness, effectively prohibited it.
Careful now

BennyCake

Quote from: Rudi on February 03, 2020, 09:56:25 PM

Plus 1 to that. The Oxford Dictionary definition of pansy does not infer homosexuality. As one poster said, Gough should have contacted O Rourke personally. All this want to be offended lark is turning me off homosexuals. Hi jacked the rainbow now they've hijacked the pansy.

They also hijacked the word 'gay'.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Westside on February 03, 2020, 10:48:43 PM
A horrible phrase to come out with even if he didn't mean it in any sort of homosexual slur. I'd be unhappy if I had a son going to his school. He's from a different time though I suppose so hopefully this shit will mostly die out with his generation. Having traits or characteristics mostly viewed as feminine doesn't make you weak. There's young lads across the country killing themselves because only 'pansy boys' talk about their feelings. That's an extreme example but it's all coming from the same place. Don't think there should be any question of him losing his job but hope someone had a stern word in his ear.
So where does calling someone a Big Girl's Blouse or a girly swot figure in terms of political incorrectness? Are they worse than Pansy Boy?
Careful now

five points

O'Rourke has been writing national paper columns for 30 years now. If he really had nothing to say, he'd be gone decades ago.

Angelo

Quote from: five points on February 04, 2020, 08:37:32 AM
O'Rourke has been writing national paper columns for 30 years now. If he really had nothing to say, he'd be gone decades ago.

So has Pat Spillane.

They have nothing to say but they do have big reputations in the game, 12 all stars and 10 All Irelands between them.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Truth hurts

Gough is the Greta Grunberg of the gay community these days ffs A phone call from Gough to Colm would have sorted this and its a storm in a tea cup.

Main Street

Perhaps David's mood wasn't helped in that the game he reffed, Monaghan v Tyrone, was relegated to last place on the highlights program and only a few rushed images from the game were shown. Completely ignored was his highlight, his final flourish sending off 3 players from the same incident in added time.

red hander

Quote from: Main Street on February 04, 2020, 10:44:01 AM
Perhaps David's mood wasn't helped in that the game he reffed, Monaghan v Tyrone, was relegated to last place on the highlights program and only a few rushed images from the game were shown. Completely ignored was his highlight, his final flourish sending off 3 players from the same incident in added time.

Second week in a row, actually. RTE retaliation against Tyrone boycott with boycott of its own, seems to be.

Keyser soze

Quote from: Westside on February 03, 2020, 10:48:43 PM

Do you have any empirical evidence that that is the case?