'Burning Man' structure in Derry

Started by Oraisteach, March 18, 2015, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Haven't seen a lot of coverage of the Burning Man structure in Derry.  It's due to be set on fire on March 21.  Remarkable to have a bonfire that is not daubed in KAT, FTP or KAH, is not built of donated pallets and rubber tires, and is not festooned in insignia intended to incite.

What's the general feeling about this effort to purge some of horrors/memories of the past?  Is it really a cross-community effort? Or do people see it as money going up in smoke rather than the architectural marvel that it appears to be?

BTW, here's the Daily Mail coverage of the event.  Not a Daily Mail fan, but it has good images and a video link to the Nevada Burning Man gathering:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2997361/Two-years-planning-hard-work-hundreds-people-lot-torched-just-one-hour-Burning-Man-artist-s-latest-Temple-unveiled-Londonderry.html

Eamonnca1

Nice to see a bit of spiritual stuff that isn't tied up in the traditional religious garb.

WeeDonns

I can't believe there're charging people in to view a bonfire in Derry now, this place has changed...

tbrick18

Do you have to pay in??? ffs!
Looking at the pictures there, I think its actually a pity that its going to be burnt.
It looks amazing and I think it would be a nice tourist attraction.

Muzz

orangeman

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

macdanger2

bailestil

Was up at it on St Patricks day. Good crowds about it.
It must have taken some time to construct as its amazingly detailed.

3 Quid for a ticket isn't bad. Though you will be able to see it from pretty much anywhere in the city.

some great photos of it on the mail website.

Oraisteach

See it went up in front of a crowd of around 15,000.  Anyone happen to catch any of the drugs, sex and Satanism predicted by Rev. Orr and his cohorts.

JoG2

Was up a couple of times. It was free to visit everyday except the burning night. The most expensive tix for last night were £3. Half that price for family tix

An amazing structure, really beautiful.