6 county corporation tax

Started by armaghniac, December 03, 2014, 06:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: TabClear on December 04, 2014, 06:48:23 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 04, 2014, 01:58:29 AM
It not work, one, the politicans up here are incapable of running anything, we seen this at first hand, if they Had to work in a proper job half them be out the door,

Two, why would any company decide to move to the north or new company locate here, when they have the same tax down south minus the shit what happens in Belfast and Belfast who probably be the only place new companies would set up.

Any outside company would still choose down south first, the outside world do see the 12th carry on on TV every year

Dont agree with this at all. If that held true, why would any company set up in NI at the minute??

Dont underestimate the attraction of trading in Sterling to a lot of US/Far East companies, both from a prestige perspective and a forex viewpoint. Depending on exchange rate movement/group structures etc could be a real consideration. If your key customer base is UK, why not report in the same currency if it is not to your detriment? Your primary bank is uk based?

Also, company law is different between UK/Ireland?

Corporate banking doesn't work like that and I'm assuming it's big corporations they are hoping to attract.

bailestil

Bro McFerron was on the money about it, and Arlene Foster looked ridiculous in her snappy response about it.
Corporation tax alone isn't enough.
Allstate have loads of unfilled jobs. Cut corporation tax to 0%, it still wont fill those jobs.

The problem isn't that there is no Jobs, it is that people don't have the skills to fill the jobs available.

Ireland pumped a fortune into it HE colleges and Universities all through the 90's and 00's. The opposite is happening in North.
I Think they don't seem to get that part.

Rossfan

Hard to see the "fleggers" and the like working in a Call Centre  :D
Is this the first step in England's disengagement from the UK?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

QuoteIreland pumped a fortune into it HE colleges and Universities all through the 90's and 00's. The opposite is happening in North.

+1

Rois

I've a couple of points I picked up from a presentation this morning by Neil Gibson from Oxford Economics/UU.
1. The legislation is drafted and ready to go
2. If the decision was based on the impact to the UK treasury alone, it wouldn't be contemplated
3. The legislation would only impact corporation tax - any revenues from income taxes, VAT and other indirect taxes as a result of the devolution of corp tax would still flow to the UK purse
4. Compromises are required from public sector, but cuts in public sector are coming whether there is corp tax devolution or not 
5. Possible requirement from the business community to surrender something - R&D reliefs, INI grants, low business rates, low wages
6. The ultimate decision at this point, however, will likely lie in whether the Conservatives need the support of Unionists to remain in coalition

naka

Quote from: bailestil on December 04, 2014, 10:53:21 AM
Bro McFerron was on the money about it, and Arlene Foster looked ridiculous in her snappy response about it.
Allstate have loads of unfilled jobs. Cut corporation tax to 0%, it still wont fill those jobs.

The problem isn't that there is no Jobs, it is that people don't have the skills to fill the jobs available.

Ireland pumped a fortune into it HE colleges and Universities all through the 90's and 00's. The opposite is happening in North.
to be fair there are numerous jobs in th e north all in the it sector

the issue is that the education system( controlled  by unions) still forces kids to do 5 yeaRS  religion, history, French etc  whilst not pushing 5 years IT
jeez I have a kid doing citizenship what the feck is all that about
don't think stormont will want the cut in the public sector either as it forces them to be real politicians
they would rather fight over flegs etc

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: bailestil on December 04, 2014, 10:53:21 AM

Yeah, this is going to be the big issue.
The other side of it is a cutural thing, where many still view financial services and Law as 'better' careers that software, IT or engineering and so thats where the most gifted young people are pushed towards.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mario

Quote from: balladmaker on December 04, 2014, 11:13:08 AM
QuoteIreland pumped a fortune into it HE colleges and Universities all through the 90's and 00's. The opposite is happening in North.

+1
Queens would only be slightly behind Trinity in the University rankings and probably above any other Irish university. It's also part of the Russell group which makes it a top 20 post graduate university in the UK. Northern Ireland consistently has the best exam results at GCSE/A-Level in the UK, i think it's unfair to say our colleges are far behind the South.

bailestil

Quote from: Mario on December 04, 2014, 11:56:27 AM

+1
Queens would only be slightly behind Trinity in the University rankings and probably above any other Irish university. It's also part of the Russell group which makes it a top 20 post graduate university in the UK. Northern Ireland consistently has the best exam results at GCSE/A-Level in the UK, i think it's unfair to say our colleges are far behind the South.

Ah the old best GCSE and A-Levels argument trotted out.
The problem isnt the top 10%, its the rest.
Its the fact that Ireland has TCD, UCD, DIT, DCU, NUI, RCI, UL, CIT, SIT LKIT and more i've missed.
N.Ireland Has Queen's and the University of Belfast aka UU.

If N.I produces 50 computer science graduates a year, that isn't gonna make a dent in the number of IT companies looking to open here.

No Point pumping out History graduates and saying there are no jobs for them.

balladmaker

QuoteQueens would only be slightly behind Trinity in the University rankings and probably above any other Irish university. It's also part of the Russell group which makes it a top 20 post graduate university in the UK. Northern Ireland consistently has the best exam results at GCSE/A-Level in the UK, i think it's unfair to say our colleges are far behind the South.

There's no doubting the quality of graduates coming out of Queens and UU, but it's the quantities required to fill the potential roles from multi-national corporations.  Look at Intel as one example, how many thousand do they employ in Leixlip now?  Never mind, Apple, Google, Facebook etc.  I suppose it only takes one large multinational corporation to come into the north with a few thousand jobs to get the place going.

A rebalancing is required between the public and private sectors, and that is going to happen over the next number of years whether we like it or not via cuts to the public sector.  However, there has to be jobs for those people to go to in the private sector or NI might as well turn the lights out.

take_yer_points

Quote from: bailestil on December 04, 2014, 12:06:02 PM

+1

Ah the old best GCSE and A-Levels argument trotted out.
The problem isnt the top 10%, its the rest.
Its the fact that Ireland has TCD, UCD, DIT, DCU, NUI, RCI, UL, CIT, SIT LKIT and more i've missed.
N.Ireland Has Queen's and the University of Belfast aka UU.

If N.I produces 50 computer science graduates a year, that isn't gonna make a dent in the number of IT companies looking to open here.

No Point pumping out History graduates and saying there are no jobs for them.

NI produces a lot more than 50 computer science graduates a year. Page 5 in the file below shows the Computing Science course at Jordanstown produced 58 graduates on its own in 201314 (those are successful leavers - not sure what classification they'd be coming out with). There are similar courses at Coleraine, Magee and Queens. And that's before you get into any other computing related courses like software engineering and major/minor combinations.

http://www.ulster.ac.uk/quality/qmau/uuonly/progcms3.pdf

There's also a course at Coleraine with 30 odd fully (DEL) funded MSc places - it's a conversion course for non Computing graduates (with similar at Queens I believe). The fact that it exists and is funded by DEL backs up your point about pumping out history (and other) graduates - there's jobs in IT in NI with nobody to fill them and graduates from other disciplines are being funded to retrain. There seems to be a big push towards STEM related subjects too - maybe that will help address that as well.

thebigfella

+1

Which rankings are these? It's well below Trinity and behind UCD in any rankings I see. UCD's graduate business school is one of the best in the world.

These myths have been perpetuated for years about Queens. It's well down the UK rankings and certainly their engineering/IT departments are not as renowned as other mainland UK universities.

I'm not trying to denigrate people who study/studied there but I think we need a bit of perspective.

93-DY-SAM

If anyone believes those tubes up on the hill could manage the implementation of something like this then they are living in cuckoo cuckoo land.  I think NI politicians have latched onto this idea of devolved corporation tax and think it's the magic bullet to all woes.  It isn't and on it's own it's not going to have multi-national's knocking down the door to set-up in NI.

armaghniac

+1

University rankings are a bit dubious at the best of times, but on the QS World University Rankings QUB is between UCD and UCC.
I think Queens is good enough, but UU is below the 26 county institutions and the NI government is consciously cutting funding so that there are not enough places for NI students, whereas the Republic is trying to expand things, even in economic hard times.

QuoteIf anyone believes those tubes up on the hill could manage the implementation of something like this then they are living in cuckoo cuckoo land.  I think NI politicians have latched onto this idea of devolved corporation tax and think it's the magic bullet to all woes.  It isn't and on it's own it's not going to have multi-national's knocking down the door to set-up in NI.

They asked for it, they have to either make it work or show themselves to be plonkers and that change is needed. Either might be helpful.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Quoteare not as renowned as other mainland UK universities.

What part of mainland Europe are your referring to?