Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedgehunter

Well if thats the case - ours must be worse.  Armagh have Paul Mc Grane in, Oisin Mc Conville in, Murtagh, O'Rourke - all - all Ireland winners, Mike Mc Gurn who is renowned fitness coach and O'Hare from Burren who lots in our county rate highly. How do you rate our overpaid underachieving coaches???
[/quote]

Our coaches are getting paid?? :o :o :o :o

NP 76

Hedgehunter our coaches are from what i have heard are getting their expenses not the sort of salary Mc Gurn is reportly getting in Armagh

pauly2

Quote from: NP 76 on May 30, 2011, 11:34:11 PM

Wise up Paul talk sense will you all we lost was a game of football against Armagh doesnt make our team or backroom team bad and doesnt make POR a messiah . As for Mc Gurn not so long ago Armagh people were saying the players were too bulky but now he is the best trainer in ireland .O Hare highly rated in our county by who the ladies team if he was a keen Down man what was he doing dressed head to toe in orange and white .Mc Grane and Mc Conville only there this last few weeks hardly part of the management set up . POR was an all ireland winner when he was with us and look what good it did . As for our underachieving backroom team take a look at last year not going to go on any more but wise up

Yes all we lost was a game of football - but all my point was is that someone came on here slating their management set - up - well they must be doing something right... O'Rourke was winner with us and look what good it did - what the hell does that mean.  the county board got rid of him when he wanted another season with the group he had.  OHare was with the u21s in 2005 when they got to the all Ireland Final and i know the lads in my club rate him - what is he supposed to do wear down gear just caus he is from the county - even tho he works for another county now? Did Mc Cartan approach him to take him in - surprised he didnt caus the rest of Burren are there at present.  And how about you wise up - lets look at last year and yes we had a great long summer and many memories - but we didnt do what we set out to do - WIN..  We played in 2 national finals and won damn all - thats a great return for a season. NOT. and if you honestly think Mc Ilvor and Tally are leaving Ballinderry and |Galbally twice or three times a week for "expenses" - then you really do live in a bubble. 

PAULD123

Saturday had several problems, player selection was certainly one. Anton McCardle should not have been brought on. Laverty is a player for fast dry pitches, where he can use his pace. Dan McCartan should have been taken off and replaced, as he was having an off-day. While Gordon should not be moved to midfield due to his effectiveness at fullback, he certainly should have a more fluid role, moving to midfield to help out when things are going badly. If he had gone there for the middle of 2nd half we would have stopped the Armagh momentum and probably have edged the game. While our attack is fluid, our defence is rigid, players get given a location to play in and stay there. But in attack the forwards play out of position for large periods of the game.

But lets face it the biggest problem was that only one team came with the burning desire to win. Armagh fought harder for posession.

All tactical discussions aside what Down need is simply to enter games with passionate determination, we have the skill in our team to then beat most teams.

Of course (and I'm not saying this is fair excuse, or it is reasonable) a dry pitch would have made, and will make, a hell of a difference to this Down team.

NP 76

Pauly having all ireland medals in the backroom team doesnt make them tactical genius on the line thats what i was stating . Its long long ago por and his team were being ridiculed by all in their own county so i fail to understand how a win for them makes them the dream team and defeat makes James and co so bad over night . In my opinion por didnt deserve another year with Down because he was taking them nowhere . We only moved forward when James Mc Ilvor and Tally came on to the scene after Ross stint in charge. I know we won nothing last year but at the start of the year we didnt think we would be in the All Ireland final did we which in my view is progress .

mournerambler

Quote from: pauly2 on May 30, 2011, 10:23:42 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on May 30, 2011, 11:46:27 AM
I didnt post immediately after the game because i actually couldnt get my head round how we lost BOTH games on Saturday evening. I left the Athletic grounds angry and upset over a number of things.

1. The team is getting clearly wiped out in the middle sector and we take our corner forward off. Surely with the quality of coach/trainer/selector/eye in the stand/manager that someone can see this!
2. The armagh management team are a mickey mouse outfit but their team looked sharper and fitter than our guys?? Someone touched on here before about the injuries?? What are we actually doing at training?
3. I will not get personal about James younger brother but he should have been replaced after 15mins. Not fair on the lad to leave him hanging out to dry like that.
4. The burren players are not an issue for me, their current county champions so they deserve to be on the panel BUT!! if young Eoin cant get a start for Burren why do we need to bring him into an inter county championship tie? Are the rest that bad??
5. The minor debacle!! where do we start?? I said on this forum a long time ago Peter Mc Grath is a complete legend, but his appointment was a major major step back!! That was a crime that team didnt walk Ulster!!

Well if thats the case - ours must be worse.  Armagh have Paul Mc Grane in, Oisin Mc Conville in, Murtagh, O'Rourke - all - all Ireland winners, Mike Mc Gurn who is renowned fitness coach and O'Hare from Burren who lots in our county rate highly. How do you rate our overpaid underachieving coaches???

and if you honestly think Mc Ilvor and Tally are leaving Ballinderry and |Galbally twice or three times a week for "expenses" - then you really do live in a bubble.

please do enlighten the rest of us lesser informed gaels of their payments pauly2, you appear to be in the know???

redandblack4ever

[Well if thats the case - ours must be worse.  Armagh have Paul Mc Grane in, Oisin Mc Conville in, Murtagh, O'Rourke - all - all Ireland winners, Mike Mc Gurn who is renowned fitness coach and O'Hare from Burren who lots in our county rate highly. How do you rate our overpaid underachieving coaches???
[/quote]

and if you honestly think Mc Ilvor and Tally are leaving Ballinderry and |Galbally twice or three times a week for "expenses" - then you really do live in a bubble.

please do enlighten the rest of us lesser informed gaels of their payments pauly2, you appear to be in the know???
[/quote]

Yeah pauly2, inquiring minds want to know how you've come across this information? 

I really am getting fed up with listening to what some poster are saying about the Burren players. Not that myself and Mr. redandblack4ever would ever be considered as being fans of the Burren club, but they are the current Senior County Champions.

I don't think that pointing fingers at anyone proves anything. Face it, Saturday night just wasn't our night. At least the Senior team has the qualifiers to look forward to. 

I wish someone would inform me of what happened in the Minor game. My heart breaks for them.

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

pauly2

Seriously - there is no way these two men come all the way to down to train for expenses.  |Its being buried in the expenses for the county somewhere.  We are not the only county to be paying trainers but its def happening.  Lets snap outta the trance lads.  Yes Burren are county champions - but Kilcoo were in same position the year before and had 3 or 4 on the panel at the start and then 2 by the time of the AIF.  Mc Kernan, G Mc Cartan are really worth their places on the team - Rooney is average and has bad attitude - he didnt play against the Ford about a month ago caus he didnt train with his club in the week leading up to it - fair play to Dawson for dropping him from the panel for this breach.  Duffin is a better player than him anyhow.  Sean Murdock like so many others was class at underage - but is finding it hard at senior level to cope with the physicality.  Dan is done, Eoin is great player but not fit to train so shouldn be there, Mc Ardle is big strong lad - but he hasn really shone in any club games - so how did he reach this level??? Murdock the keeper is off the panel - but he is one they should stick with as he is prob second best in the county and plays well for the club week in week out.

mournerambler

Quote from: pauly2 on May 31, 2011, 06:06:38 PM
Seriously - there is no way these two men come all the way to down to train for expenses.  |Its being buried in the expenses for the county somewhere.  We are not the only county to be paying trainers but its def happening.  Lets snap outta the trance lads.  Yes Burren are county champions - but Kilcoo were in same position the year before and had 3 or 4 on the panel at the start and then 2 by the time of the AIF.  Mc Kernan, G Mc Cartan are really worth their places on the team - Rooney is average and has bad attitude - he didnt play against the Ford about a month ago caus he didnt train with his club in the week leading up to it - fair play to Dawson for dropping him from the panel for this breach.  Duffin is a better player than him anyhow.  Sean Murdock like so many others was class at underage - but is finding it hard at senior level to cope with the physicality.  Dan is done, Eoin is great player but not fit to train so shouldn be there, Mc Ardle is big strong lad - but he hasn really shone in any club games - so how did he reach this level??? Murdock the keeper is off the panel - but he is one they should stick with as he is prob second best in the county and plays well for the club week in week out.

once again i'll ask you to let us all see your evidence to back this up, rather than coming out with a load of 'he said she said' hearsay?????

outinfront

Anyone any ideas of JFC prelim rounds and 1st rounds?  Would be good to find out.

Square Ball

Quote from: outinfront on May 31, 2011, 08:16:12 PM
Anyone any ideas of JFC prelim rounds and 1st rounds?  Would be good to find out.

there you go:
Around a Pound JFC
ROUND 1
A Dromara v Aughlisnafinn
B Saul v Ballykinlar
C Bright v Mitchels

ROUND 2
B v Bredagh
St Micheals v Teconnaught
Aghaderg v C
St Pauls v A

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

PAULD123

To be fair to Pauly2, although you shouldn't make statements if you have not got the necessary evidence to back them up, it is a fairly well established "secret" that GAA many coaches receive financial benefits for their endevours. It is also a similar psuedo-fact that this is done thorugh rather generous "expenses". Given that we have two coaches working for us that travel great distances and are not natve to the county, it is not unreasonable to postulate that they are financially looked after.

But it is wrong to make direct statements and accusations without evidence.

Though tell me honestly, Mrs Red&B and Mournerambler do you really think that McIvor and Tally do this for the simple love of our county's team? I'd be surpised myself but I am not saying they definatly are or not

outinfront

Quote from: Square Ball on May 31, 2011, 08:24:47 PM
Quote from: outinfront on May 31, 2011, 08:16:12 PM

there you go:
Around a Pound JFC
ROUND 1
A Dromara v Aughlisnafinn
B Saul v Ballykinlar
C Bright v Mitchels

ROUND 2
B v Bredagh
St Micheals v Teconnaught
Aghaderg v C
St Pauls v A

sorry wasn't clear.  Meant dates! (had a previous post a while ago asking)

BRIDGE LAD

I would strongly agree with the points that Mourne Rambler made in his previous post regarding the match on sat night. I think a lot of people on this board are giving the management an awful hard time, I'm a bridge fan and wouldn't be at all fond of wee James for obvious reasons, but what he done with this team last year was remarkable, I'd say most who are critical of him for Sat night were all singing his praises for promotion to div 1 and  when we defeated Kerry and Kildare last year or when he kept Down in div 1 this year. Take a step back and think about it.

Although I think the Burren thing is a little too much in fairness, yes someone said Burren are Co Champions and deserve that amount of players on the panel, but it was Burrens forward line of last year that won it for them. Only one player from their forwards who started the final is on the panel, Burren struggled to beat Mayobridge with us missing three county forwards, so what does that say for their defence? Four Burren defenders on team not just panel is a bit too biased I think. Kilcoo won the Championship two yrs ago and only had 2 players on panel last year.

pointlad

Appaprently the senior championship draw was being re done tonight, anyone have any confirmation on who got who?