Paris for the weekend

Started by Onion Bag, July 14, 2011, 12:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Paris is only expensive if you allow it to be. It's my no.1 city on the planet (have only visited Armagh and Paris) and if you're prepared to look up a few streets off the main roads you'll fine some quaint restaurants with decent prices and nowhere near E10 for a beer. 

I've watched GAA here - http://www.mcbridesparis.com/ - happy hours between 5-8 I think - around E5 for a pint.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mournerambler on July 14, 2011, 11:59:34 PM
looks like someone just showed you how to work the smiley faces etc at the top, well done, your a quick learner, now it's time you were in bed because your yellow bus will be around early in the morning.
"you're" not "your". See you on the bus.

mournerambler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 15, 2011, 12:02:22 AM
looks like someone just showed you how to work the smiley faces etc at the top, well done, your a quick learner, now it's time you were in bed because your yellow bus will be around early in the morning.

take a wee look at point 3 Tony Baloney, now i'm away to bed while you study your grammar homework

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

Puckoon

Quote from: mournerambler on July 15, 2011, 12:12:20 AM

take a wee look at point 3 Tony Baloney, now i'm away to bed while you study your grammar homework

Oh Boy.

ONeill

Hardy has probably imploded.

Puckoon

I'm still trying to figure out where this spat originated from, but t'was entertaining never the less.

mournerambler

it originated from a clown with f**k all else to do but look for faults in threads, i see he has helped out onion bag in a big way in his quest for useful info on a weekend in Paris.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mournerambler on July 15, 2011, 12:12:20 AM

f**k sake Ziggy this needs a face palm!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Onion Bag on July 14, 2011, 12:04:45 PM
Sorry lads and lasses if this has already been discussed, but was looking some help and advise. i  am looking to book a weekend in Paris for me and the missus.
we are going to go at the end of Jan next year.
Looking to know the best areas to go to, hotels, flights, deals etc.
Is it as expensive as people make out?
Mournerambler derailed this thread yesterday.

My tuppenceworth...

If you are going for a weekend don't kill yourself queueing in the Louvre or Musee d'Orsay. End of Jan isn't ideal for soaking up the cafe culture but I'd definitely hit the Eiffel Tower, Bateaux Parisien for an evening cruise on the Seine, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe and maybe Sacre Couer. A lot of these can be achieved in one walk from the Arc down the Champs Elysees, through Place de la Concorde and Jardins de Tulieres where the Louvre is - this is a straight line from the Arc so no danger of getting lost! Notre Dame is around this area too so can be hit in one visit. Place de la Bastille isn't too far from Notre Dame either.

As O'Neill says it doesn't need to be seriously expensive - like any major city if you stick to eating/drinking in the tourist areas like Champs Elysee etc. expect to pay through the nose. If I was going back I'd stay in the Montmatre or Montparnasse. When we were last there we stayed in a nice hotel near the Arc (Hotel Splendide Etoile) only because a colleague of the missus knows the hotel manager so we got the room with the best view of the Arc* at a good rate. We had to go deep into local territory to avoid the tourist traps though for eating/drinking in the evening.

*This very room in fact...

ONeill

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2011, 01:04:31 PM
Nice manbag Tony.
Very classy if you have the right one. Apparently. Dinny would be proud.

However, it's not mine and the photo above is from a website. Which I suspect you already know!  ;)

Doogie Browser

Only been once for a soccer match, great craic but the 50k Irish men helped I think.  Price of a pint was fierce  :P