Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Previous statement still relevant.

Not every club can get managers from their own. Are they cheats because they pay someone?

There's a bit of an irony to the organisation that has pumped so much money into one county thus making them so dominant that the game is getting ruined calling people who pay money to managers cheats.

BigBallWeeBall

Some interesting recent posts. IMO it's not cheating like ineligible players but paying for managers is against our ethos and this is therefore not a level playing field. Somewhat akin to the advantage that Dublin enjoyed and I consider this 'cheating'. St Endas aren't the only club in Belfast to do this but Ardoyne are now upping the ante with the cost of managers. This is sure to be a drain on club resources and city clubs would not be as wealthy as SW judging by the figures quoted on this board last year.
I don't get the Belfast musical chairs reference as players from clubs across the county have jumped ship for glory.

imtommygunn

There are figures quoted in various sections of this message board with regard to paid managers which are most likely very exaggerated at best.

Also wrt Carr one post here said that he was doing it for free then the next one suddenly he is getting a fortune. Who do you believe?

imtommygunn

;D

It is a strange one but who the feck knows anything about whether he's doing it for loads, nothing or whatever. I don't know his management history. Does he have much? Why pay a fortune if he doesn't?

The paid manager stuff ends up with a load of internet speculation which no one knows for sure and then it's said that much that crazy figures which are highly unlikely to be being paid seem to be taken as fact,

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 30, 2020, 07:47:17 PM
Yes agree those are both cheating - what's your point lads?

My own club pays a manager. We simply can't get somebody within the club willing to take the senior set up on. We advertised internally at the end of September and not a sinner came forward so we went outside to see who was there and we got a man in. He's asked for club tracksuits etc and a few quid a week for diesel.

I wouldn't consider that cheating. Playing lads under false names etc is cheating. Tapping up players from other clubs, also cheating in my book.

Personally I'm not keen on paying lads massive coin to come and take teams, try to develop your own first and see what happens, but each club is different. Nobody knows what goes in each club.

whatwillbwillb

I wont be long before the Revenue will get involved in this, long overdue imo !!

cfclg

I used to take a very strong 'nobody should be paid to manage/coach teams' approach but the reality is that a very large proportion of clubs are paying a coach or manager or both!

Unfortunately in modern society volunteers are becoming fewer and fewer. People enjoy the little free time they have in a week to do their own thing/spend time with family etc. The pace of the modern world has changed and we don't have the luxury of a large pool of volunteers anymore. It doesn't mean I agree with it, its just the way it is in 2020. I can't see this trend changing anytime soon.

Teams are also becoming more demanding in this 'elite' culture we have within the GAA. You have Junior clubs (my own club included) now wanting a full time strength and conditioning coach . Not everyone has those capabilities in house so you have to go out and get/pay someone.

Changed times. I feel old. I am old  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on January 31, 2020, 07:34:27 AM
I wont be long before the Revenue will get involved in this, long overdue imo !!

?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Caesar

You can throw all the money you want at a paid manager but without the proper underage development structures and efforts of volunteers within the club, it will never be sustainable.

I have no issue with managers being paid, but it is no substitute for the hard yards put in by the countless volunteers behind the scenes.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Caesar on January 31, 2020, 09:01:18 AM
You can throw all the money you want at a paid manager but without the proper underage development structures and efforts of volunteers within the club, it will never be sustainable.

I have no issue with managers being paid, but it is no substitute for the hard yards put in by the countless volunteers behind the scenes.

Exactly! totally agree.

put your money into the facilities, equipment and promoting/educating your own vols. they are the life blood of a club and need the investment, not some manager who might stay for a few seasons and leave.
hurl like f**k boi!

Dunsilly King

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on January 30, 2020, 09:02:49 PM
Some interesting recent posts. IMO it's not cheating like ineligible players but paying for managers is against our ethos and this is therefore not a level playing field. Somewhat akin to the advantage that Dublin enjoyed and I consider this 'cheating'. St Endas aren't the only club in Belfast to do this but Ardoyne are now upping the ante with the cost of managers. This is sure to be a drain on club resources and city clubs would not be as wealthy as SW judging by the figures quoted on this board last year.
I don't get the Belfast musical chairs reference as players from clubs across the county have jumped ship for glory.

Refs get paid, county secretaries get paid, umpteen coaches get paid in every county re schools etc, how many empolyees are there in the ulster council?...a lot, how many paid coaches are there in the ulster council...a lot. I haven't even got the length of Croke Park. Give my head peace, the hypocrisy.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Caesar on January 31, 2020, 09:01:18 AM

Same volunteers, I wouldn't be saying there is countless, getting people to join the committee and applying for managing juveniles and senior teams has always been a difficult task, plenty of the over the fence managers or barstool managers about. I most clubs its the same ones year on year doing the hard work
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rodger Mona

does the rules outline specifically that managerial appointments are not to receive any funding? If so where do you draw the line when it comes to clubs paying trainers, strength and conditioning coaches/programmes, nutritionists, running coaches, pilates etc. etc....  majority of football, hurling and camogie clubs pay at least one/two of those mentioned.

Cannot regulate where money circulates within the GAA as club Volunteers with the time they have/ coaching training they have received are only able to contribute so much to a team. Any team that wants to improve will pay for expertise better than what they have at hand

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Dunsilly King on January 31, 2020, 09:27:54 AM
Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on January 30, 2020, 09:02:49 PM

Refs get paid, county secretaries get paid, umpteen coaches get paid in every county re schools etc, how many empolyees are there in the ulster council?...a lot, how many paid coaches are there in the ulster council...a lot. I haven't even got the length of Croke Park. Give my head peace, the hypocrisy.
DK, if you are OK with paying managers then you have got this all wrong IMO.
I raise money for my club which has limited financial resources to buy equipment, rigs and maintain facilities and also has some historic debt.
Refs, ulster gaa coaches, Co secretaries etc are not paid by me but by central GAA funds.
Clubs paying for managers is not endorsed by the GAA and as these types of payments hinder my club I'm dead against it.

Belfast GAA man

Its straightforward for me
2 teams are level in terms of commitment & Talent - one has money and the other hasn't - one buys in a coach and give themselves the advantage - is this not chequebook success?