Dialect test

Started by armaghniac, February 15, 2019, 03:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 19, 2019, 07:40:36 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 18, 2019, 08:41:18 PM
BTW guddies (not gutties!) to me were always the rubber soled black shoes, were as the sports shoe was always runners

Omagh townies would call the actual runners guddies.

Also a townie is not necessarily a derogatory term and defo not necessarily a lower class person, it could apply to the golfers types also. Basically someone who wasnt into farming or cars, was a bit showy and soft on the football field and called it "Gaelic".
The lower class types would be "skiprats" or "townie scumbags"

.... and alot of Omagh wans would call their Granny "Nan" thats got to be a garrison hangover that one

Definitely gutties - just your spelling was a bit too phonetical.

Townies is a derogatory term in Omagh when used by those living in the surrounding countryside or by core non-Omagh GAA types or the culchies.  It indicated people who were a seen to not have the backbone and core that the culchies had themselves. It's the derision often directed at Omagh ones who played soccer and football or didn't glorify a culchie lifestyle.  Used in school by culchie GAA teachers in directing insult to those who lived in the town or played for the town GAA teams when finding ways not to pick them for school teams. Look for how long it took for Omagh players to breakthrough onto underage and then senior football teams.  Same happened in Dungannon. 

Never heard the term Skiprat ever used in Omagh to describe anyone and rarely heard or hear Nan being used for Granny except with women who think they are too young to be grannies.

Correct on the gutties, and on the townies. One of the stranger things in my youth was being called a Townie by all and sundry in school football and club underage football - only to take the bus to a challenge game for St Enda's against O'Donovan Rossa and proceed to get lambasted as a crowd of sheep shaggin culchies for the duration.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Puckoon on February 20, 2019, 09:18:19 PM
BTW guddies (not gutties!) to me were always the rubber soled black shoes, were as the sports shoe was always runners

Also a townie is not necessarily a derogatory term and defo not necessarily a lower class person, it could apply to the golfers types also. Basically someone who wasnt into farming or cars, was a bit showy and soft on the football field and called it "Gaelic".

.... and alot of Omagh wans would call their Granny "Nan" thats got to be a garrison hangover that one

Townies is a derogatory term in Omagh when used by those living in the surrounding countryside or by core non-Omagh GAA types or the culchies.  It indicated people who were a seen to not have the backbone and core that the culchies had themselves. It's the derision often directed at Omagh ones who played soccer and football or didn't glorify a culchie lifestyle.  Used in school by culchie GAA teachers in directing insult to those who lived in the town or played for the town GAA teams when finding ways not to pick them for school teams. Look for how long it took for Omagh players to breakthrough onto underage and then senior football teams.  Same happened in Dungannon. 

Never heard the term Skiprat ever used in Omagh to describe anyone and rarely heard or hear Nan being used for Granny except with women who think they are too young to be grannies.

Correct on the gutties, and on the townies. One of the stranger things in my youth was being called a Townie by all and sundry in school football and club underage football - only to take the bus to a challenge game for St Enda's against O'Donovan Rossa and proceed to get lambasted as a crowd of sheep shaggin culchies for the duration.

However, the true dialect test for an Omagh townie is when they say 'mines', i.e. 'Who owns this book? It's mines'

omaghjoe

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 20, 2019, 09:58:49 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 20, 2019, 09:18:19 PM

However, the true dialect test for an Omagh townie is when they say 'mines', i.e. 'Who owns this book? It's mines'

No actually its whether you cross the threshold of 50% of "the boys" have the suffix "ie"/"y"

omaghjoe

Also dont they say "mines" in Newton/Derg?

Or is theirs more of "my-an" / "my-ans"

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 21, 2019, 12:07:54 AM
Also dont they say "mines" in Newton/Derg?

Or is theirs more of "my-an" / "my-ans"

My-ans

Owen Brannigan

Is

wile/while wine (considerably high winds) or the pronunciation of wild as wile/while

an area specific saying?