Half Parishes

Started by APM, December 09, 2018, 10:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on December 12, 2018, 11:29:50 PM
Agreed that it is only club in that parish but I was trying to make the point that the club is not named after the parish where a lot of clubs are named after the parish and not the major settlement within the parish eg Clonduff not Hilltown. Conversely there are probably as many not using the parish name.

This year three teams from the "old" Clonallon parish contested the Down SFC semi finals ie Burren CPN and Mayobridge probably a rare occurrence for something like this to happen. Anyone know if any other county can claim a similar situation?
There must be special football DNA in that Clonallon parish. Burren were twice all Ireland club champions and Mayobridge produced Mr Linden and Mr O Hare.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 13, 2018, 12:03:38 AM
It’s very possible that the four clubs in the St Vincent’s area in Offaly were all occupying the four semi final spots of the Offaly junior football championship in years gone by. Ballycommon, Cappincur, Daingean and Kilclonfert were all junior at the same time for a while. Cappincur are now senior A, Ballycommon and Daingean intermediate, while Kilclonfert remain in the junior ranks.
And may of these young lads would have grown up playing for vincents together so they may be a bit frustrated with the divisions . but another way of looking at it is how many extra jerseys there are to fill . may be if they had one senior team and kept the own clubs junior teams.
not sure if operates like that anywhere .
may County board have always been  dead set against split parishes as we found out in keenagh years ago.we had to  remain under the cruel Crossmolina tyrant
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

LooseCannon

There was talks of a parish side taking shape around 7/8 years ago when Rhode's second team won the intermediate championship before the introduction of senior b.
It didn't take shape.

I believe that all clubs should remain as independent entities ...look at Mullinalaghta. All of the clubs in the Vincent's parish have more numbers than Mullinalaghta, except for Kilclonfert.

Then you have the Edenderry-Ballyfore situation. Ballyfore are currently struggling in the fourth tier of OY football. Contested an intermediate final in the last 10 years, before senior b was introduced.

Edenderry had a mass exodus from their club when players were told to solely concentrate on football.
Unfortunately for Ballyfore, this would be to their detriment. Taking in 12 fellow parishioners. They returned to Edenderry the following year, pissing off Ballyfore, their arrival to Ballyfore was not universally welcomed either.
Ballyfore we're intermediate until 2015. Got relegated from junior A in 2016, won junior B last year, struggled at junior A this year.
Worse again, their whole underage setup is in with Edenderry, with Ballyfore having no say at all.
Not even a concession of jersey colour or name. Their best player, David Brady transferred to Edenderry upon their relegation from junior A. Because they're in the same parish, this has set a disastrous and in my opinion worrying precedent.

There's plenty more examples too, which is quite worrying.

Billys Boots

Quote from: LaurelEye on December 11, 2018, 04:24:55 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 11, 2018, 02:11:11 PM
I think half parishes came about when the (Catholic) church authorities decided to build a second (or third) chapel in a parish.  There could have been several reasons  for this- generally it was because the parish was so large that many parishioners found it very inconvenient to attend the parish church. These chapels of ease, as they were called, were then  used by the GAA in many parts of the country to base clubs new back in its early days when populations were greater and travel more difficult than today.
Dunno what the story was with the half parishes of Gowna and Mullinachta or if there is a church in each half  and I'm sure nobody in either gives a damn right now!

We were originally part of the parish of Columbkille(sic) as Billy can ruefully remind us, but the parish boundaries in north Longford and the adjacent parts of Cavan were redefined in 1839 (Killoe was split in three, and Abbeylara, which previously had had four detached portions, was rationalised and its boundaries with Colmcille and Granard redefined). We, being the part of then-Colmcille on the eastern shore of the lough, were united with Scrabby which had earlier been part of the parish of Killeshandra in the diocese of Kilmore. I suppose we might be thought of as the parish of the offcuts.

Point of order, it wsn't rueful when I used to remind you - it is now.  :-[

Quotethe parish of the offcuts.

Is that not Ballymore/Bunlahy? I'll get my coat. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

rosnarun

Quote from: LooseCannon on December 13, 2018, 12:19:31 PM
There was talks of a parish side taking shape around 7/8 years ago when Rhode’s second team won the intermediate championship before the introduction of senior b.
It didn’t take shape.

I believe that all clubs should remain as independent entities …look at Mullinalaghta. All of the clubs in the Vincent’s parish have more numbers than Mullinalaghta, except for Kilclonfert.

Then you have the Edenderry-Ballyfore situation. Ballyfore are currently struggling in the fourth tier of OY football. Contested an intermediate final in the last 10 years, before senior b was introduced.

Edenderry had a mass exodus from their club when players were told to solely concentrate on football.
Unfortunately for Ballyfore, this would be to their detriment. Taking in 12 fellow parishioners. They returned to Edenderry the following year, pissing off Ballyfore, their arrival to Ballyfore was not universally welcomed either.
Ballyfore we’re intermediate until 2015. Got relegated from junior A in 2016, won junior B last year, struggled at junior A this year.
Worse again, their whole underage setup is in with Edenderry, with Ballyfore having no say at all.
Not even a concession of jersey colour or name. Their best player, David Brady transferred to Edenderry upon their relegation from junior A. Because they’re in the same parish, this has set a disastrous and in my opinion worrying precedent.

There’s plenty more examples too, which is quite worrying.
its hardly a precedent its always he way with half parishes and as  often the traffic is both ways. players who are dropped or fall out with the larger club often seek refuge with the junior club indeed it often how the junior club ids formed in the first place  look at the ballygawley/errigal Ciaran  row drom years back , but it great to have the junior club there to allow these lads to keep playing .
ofte time there is a unnoffical arrangement as to the border between  certain clubs though enforceable only by a lifetime of hatred and distrust
im sure bally fore don't want most of their team made up of townies
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere