Elections North and South

Started by Farrandeelin, April 18, 2019, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Only saw the start of It.
Ming like a lot of previously anti EU people got brought to reality by the Brexit fiasco.
Casey wants us to stay in the EU but wants us to get the same deal the Brits get after they leave!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

When you vote Tomorrow in the North there is only 1 Pro European Nationalist candidate on the ballot. Always was Pro European and always campaigned positively for Europe. And most importantly campaigned for a Remain vote in the Brexit referendum. Only 1 on the ballot. If you're a pro European Nationalist then Colum Eastwood should get your 1st preference.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on May 22, 2019, 10:08:17 AM
When you vote Tomorrow in the North there is only 1 Pro European Nationalist candidate on the ballot. Always was Pro European and always campaigned positively for Europe. And most importantly campaigned for a Remain vote in the Brexit referendum. Only 1 on the ballot. If you're a pro European Nationalist then Colum Eastwood should get your 1st preference.

It's only in recent years the SDLP have started playing the nationalist card and that will stick in the craw for some of us.

They'll still get on my ballot paper, but they've a bit of work to do to build on those nationalist credentials a bit more yet.

Far too quick to lie down to big house Unionism in the past. Too insignificant in recent years to matter.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2019, 10:54:19 AM

It's only in recent years the SDLP have started playing the nationalist card and that will stick in the craw for some of us.

They'll still get on my ballot paper, but they've a bit of work to do to build on those nationalist credentials a bit more yet.

Far too quick to lie down to big house Unionism in the past.
Too insignificant in recent years to matter.

When was this? At the birth of the Civil rights? When they campaigned for equality and the right to vote long before it became trendy? When they reached out to the IRA and convinced it's leadership of the benefits of a ceasefire or maybe when they helped to bring an end to 30 years of violence when they negotiated the GFA?

They're the only Nationalist Party on the Ballot who have been consistent in their Pro-European credentials. They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.

JPGJOHNNYG

Far too quick to lie down to big house Unionism in the past. Too insignificant in recent years to matter.

Certainly more nationalist than the Alliance party though which makes the lucid talk poll on 2nd prefs for SF bizarre. A quick look at the numbers and colum and Naomi will be neck and neck when one of them is eliminated. Its going to be very tight so those SF transfers will be vital

lurganblue

Cant bring myself to transfer votes to any party I fundamentally disagree with on the majority of issues, Europe aside.  I feel if I did transfer my votes to them I would be no worse that the people who vote DUP just to keep them'uns out. It is hypocritical.

naka

tbf the sdlp were always pro european so its fair to say that remainers should look to them.

GJL

Quote from: trailer on May 22, 2019, 11:09:53 AM

When was this? At the birth of the Civil rights? When they campaigned for equality and the right to vote long before it became trendy? When they reached out to the IRA and convinced it's leadership of the benefits of a ceasefire or maybe when they helped to bring an end to 30 years of violence when they negotiated the GFA?

They're the only Nationalist Party on the Ballot who have been consistent in their Pro-European credentials. They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.

Seamus Mallon last week:

''I have come increasingly to the view that the Good Friday Agreement measurement of a bare majority (effectively 50%+1) for unity will not give us the kind of agreed and peaceful Ireland we seek.''

This is the GFA that he helped write...

smelmoth

Given that an MEP will do zero to advance the case of Nationalism or Unionism does anyone want to make the case why there 1st preference will be the top performer in the role if elected?

naka

Quote from: GJL on May 22, 2019, 12:10:15 PM

Seamus Mallon last week:

''I have come increasingly to the view that the Good Friday Agreement measurement of a bare majority (effectively 50%+1) for unity will not give us the kind of agreed and peaceful Ireland we seek.''

tbf GJL  the gfa is the best deal that could be cobbled together but as a community we are as divided as ever so i think its fair to say that the minimum majority for a UI will not give us a settled peace. i dont think he is saying anything that the vast majority of us realise.
for me 50% plus 1 woeks but i am not naive to realise the shit storm it will unfurl.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: naka on May 22, 2019, 12:26:33 PM

Seamus Mallon last week:

tbf GJL  the gfa is the best deal that could be cobbled together but as a community we are as divided as ever so i think its fair to say that the minimum majority for a UI will not give us a settled peace. i dont think he is saying anything that the vast majority of us realise.
for me 50% plus 1 woeks but i am not naive to realise the shit storm it will unfurl.

Agreed.
It will be 50% + 1
Something like a 60% in favour would be great but realistically nationalists are not going to wait another generation to get there.

trailer

Seamus Mallon last week:

Yes and SF signed up to it! If you think 50+1 will give us a peaceful United Ireland then you are delusional. Mallon is correct.

general_lee

Quote from: smelmoth on May 22, 2019, 12:14:44 PM
Given that an MEP will do zero to advance the case of Nationalism or Unionism does anyone want to make the case why there 1st preference will be the top performer in the role if elected?
@DaireHughesSF has just tweeted a good summary of why Anderson should be 1st preference. Outperforms DUP/UUP combined over the last 5 years

trailer

SDLP are part of PES who have been vocal on a range of issues but importantly, migrant issues and workers rights. They also fully believe in the European project.
Others sit with Marxists and Communists. That's for them to explain.

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on May 22, 2019, 12:50:12 PM
@DaireHughesSF has just tweeted a good summary of why Anderson should be 1st preference. Outperforms DUP/UUP combined over the last 5 years

That tells us one thing. She turns up more often than Jim Nicholson or Diane Dodds. But I guess most people here are not considering voting for them or their parties. What is she actually doing and what effect does have? Her contributions to debates are weak just judging by the written record but when you add in the context of the dead of night to an empty hall and nobody engaging with her you realise how little she actually achieves