Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Started by toby47, March 14, 2019, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

Taylor

Messi has reached one CL final in 8 years. Not what you would expect from a team that are guaranteed qualification every season.

Contrast that with Ronaldo.

The CL and how successful you were with your country should be the benchmark when you are comparing some of the greatest players of all time.

nrico2006

Maradona and Ronaldo 'went missing' in as many games as Messi has.  Just shows that Messi, the greatest of all time, has set such a high bar that people expect him to deliver 10 out of 10 every night. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 08, 2019, 10:09:09 AM
Very disappointed with Messi last night, he went missing last night as soon as Liverpool got the 2nd; You can see why he'll never be loved in Argentina like Maradona is.

Luke Shaw had him in his pocket a few weeks back. He's not the player he was.

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2019, 11:47:42 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 07, 2019, 11:41:59 PM
What did Napoli ever win before he came along in a league where juventus,  inter, ac milan, lazio, and parma, all were stronger than most teams in Europe at the time. Messi and Ronaldo played in stronger club teams. I don't think u get anybody on here steadily watching football from the 80's would  say either, were better than Maradona. Brazil 1982 had a better team than many a team that won the world cup. Hungary also. Who, but an older generation(well with Brazil anyway) remember these teams I never seen enough of them Pele as I was too young plus he played all club football in Brazil but for 10yrs Maradona was the top footballer in the world. I seen nothing since to change my mind.

Maradona won an Italian league when 90% of the players were Italian.

He was an absolutely brilliant player, and one of the greatest of all time. But the EU and the Bowman rulings changed football forever. When you win a top 4 league now you're doing so against the best players in the world, not from one country. Common sense should tell you which is a greater achievement.

By the way I'm not demeaning old football. As in all sport, you can only beat what's in front of you. But football has had its own Darwinism over the past 30 years.

With a club that won SFA prior or since.

He didn't join one of the big guns and have a free ride.

WRT Messi Liverpool had four or five around him like flies round shite.

Enjoy each for what they are rather than gurning about it.

Angelo

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 08, 2019, 10:39:08 AM
Maradona and Ronaldo 'went missing' in as many games as Messi has.  Just shows that Messi, the greatest of all time, has set such a high bar that people expect him to deliver 10 out of 10 every night.

He doesn't perform when needed most. Not the greatest.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

macdanger2

Quote from: tyroneman on May 08, 2019, 09:51:11 AM

I'm probably wrong but I can't really remember too many important games for club or country where Messi has pulled either Barca or Argentina out of a hole

Here's one - Last game of WC 2018 qualifying, 1 down after a minute to Ecuador in Quito (2.8km above sea level) and heading for the embarrassment of not qualifying......

https://www.skysports.com/football/ecuador-vs-argentina/report/349983

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi7cVxbvr4

screenexile

Quote from: Angelo on May 08, 2019, 11:20:22 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on May 08, 2019, 10:39:08 AM

He doesn't perform when needed most. Not the greatest.

Jesus!!!! So he's written off after one game?? Ronaldo's team didn't even make the Semi finals . . . wise up!!

imtommygunn

Also Portugal have never won the World Cup, or been close, and ultimately won the european final without him as he had to go off early... ;D

Taylor

So Messi has won nothing of note for his country - not even Copa America, has won less CL than Ronaldo (having been on better teams), goes missing in many big games and some say not only is he better than Ronaldo but the greatest ever  ;D ;D ;D

imtommygunn

Who has won more Spanish leagues though? Does that mean he's more consistent? Also Ronaldo basically didn't play in portugal's winning euro final team though did get them to the final. Messi has played in a World Cup final.

That Argentina team in the last World Cup were woeful. Sure rojo looks like one of their best defenders and he is atrocious.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2019, 12:22:01 PM
Who has won more Spanish leagues though? Does that mean he's more consistent? Also Ronaldo basically didn't play in portugal's winning euro final team though did get them to the final. Messi has played in a World Cup final.

That Argentina team in the last World Cup were woeful. Sure rojo looks like one of their best defenders and he is atrocious.

Why is it always everyone else's fault? Managers, teammates, tactics. The guy is meant to be the greatest ever, he can't seem to do it when he's needed though.

Messi might be the greatest La Liga player ever but he has huge question marks over his legacy.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Angelo on May 08, 2019, 12:40:19 PM

Why is it always everyone else's fault? Managers, teammates, tactics. The guy is meant to be the greatest ever, he can't seem to do it when he's needed though.

Actually, do you know what. Your right. I've completely changed my mind now.

Thanks for that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Messi might be the greatest La Liga player ever but he has huge question marks over his legacy.

He really doesn't. As someone said sure Ronaldo is already out of Europe so can he be blamed fo that? His team were beat so was it his fault?

I would flip your question round to ask why is it always his fault? He was not invisible in that game last night and was in fact far from it on little supply and being very very heavily marked.

tyroneman

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 08, 2019, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on May 08, 2019, 09:51:11 AM

I'm probably wrong but I can't really remember too many important games for club or country where Messi has pulled either Barca or Argentina out of a hole

Here's one - Last game of WC 2018 qualifying, 1 down after a minute to Ecuador in Quito (2.8km above sea level) and heading for the embarrassment of not qualifying......

https://www.skysports.com/football/ecuador-vs-argentina/report/349983

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi7cVxbvr4

Good shout....there's 1.....not exactly a rolling list though

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2019, 12:52:21 PM

He really doesn't. As someone said sure Ronaldo is already out of Europe so can he be blamed fo that? His team were beat so was it his fault?

I would flip your question round to ask why is it always his fault? He was not invisible in that game last night and was in fact far from it on little supply and being very very heavily marked.

I'm not on about Ronaldo. In my opinion, neither match up to the greats of previous eras. The tags about greatest ever are ridiculous. I could understand someone in their teens or early 20s thinking so but he's never done it in a World Cup and now seems to have taken up going missing in Europe when the chips are down.

It's a weak era for football.