Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: LeoMc on October 08, 2018, 09:48:55 PM
Quote from: Localexpert on October 08, 2018, 09:27:02 PM
One look at club map would show that clubs in the east are at a disadvantage due to the close proximity of numerous clubs.  Prime example coalisland and clonoe can see each other's pitches when standing in either of them but have won 17 championships between them.  Some going considering the the catchment areas of some western clubs.
One look at a map would show you Dublin (350sq miles) has a smaller catchment area than Tyrone (1200sq miles).
amazing how successful Dublin are considering how small a county it is.lol. big catchment area does not mean big population.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on October 08, 2018, 09:30:34 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 08, 2018, 09:28:15 PM
I always think these thongs should be argued using the old district council boundaries.

The old Strabane DC area wouldn't be flush!

If the super 8s means that we get 6 to 8 weeks lull in the season would there be much interest in a round robin competition using the 4 x council areas. I think it would be good for Tyrone. However the flip side is Clubs would not want their players getting injured. At the same time, and I am thinking re my own Club here, it would be good exposure for some lads and a chance to play games at a higher level. Developmentally it would be excellent.

Kerry do something similar don't they.  Give us the breaks down of each of the club's in the 4 districts or an north South East West breakdown

North or Strabane District would be- Owen Roes, CNG, Strabane, Urney, Glenelly, Castlederg, Newtowstewart, Aghyaran, and Dregish.

Possibly Drumquin and Gortin too but suspect they fall into the old Omagh DC bracket.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Therealdonald

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 08, 2018, 10:02:49 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on October 08, 2018, 09:30:34 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 08, 2018, 09:28:15 PM
I always think these thongs should be argued using the old district council boundaries.

The old Strabane DC area wouldn't be flush!

If the super 8s means that we get 6 to 8 weeks lull in the season would there be much interest in a round robin competition using the 4 x council areas. I think it would be good for Tyrone. However the flip side is Clubs would not want their players getting injured. At the same time, and I am thinking re my own Club here, it would be good exposure for some lads and a chance to play games at a higher level. Developmentally it would be excellent.

Kerry do something similar don't they.  Give us the breaks down of each of the club's in the 4 districts or an north South East West breakdown

North or Strabane District would be- Owen Roes, CNG, Strabane, Urney, Glenelly, Castlederg, Newtowstewart, Aghyaran, and Dregish.

Possibly Drumquin and Gortin too but suspect they fall into the old Omagh DC bracket.

The ETB team would take the beating I'm afraid to say

Localexpert

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 08, 2018, 10:00:44 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on October 08, 2018, 09:48:55 PM
One look at club map would show that clubs in the east are at a disadvantage due to the close proximity of numerous clubs.  Prime example coalisland and clonoe can see each other's pitches when standing in either of them but have won 17 championships between them.  Some going considering the the catchment areas of some western clubs.
One look at a map would show you Dublin (350sq miles) has a smaller catchment area than Tyrone (1200sq miles).
amazing how successful Dublin are considering how small a county it is.lol. big catchment area does not mean big population.

Comparing apples and oranges there don't you think?  An exception rather than the rule considering it's the capital.  Do you not agree that the east club's are much closer together?

trailer

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: trailer on October 08, 2018, 10:31:10 PM
Do Dregish field at underage?

I think some of the players play under the Drumquin banner. With some mixing going on between Castlederg/ Urney/ NTS too and Owen Roes/ CNG.

Not sure exactly what way the teams are mixed there.

trailer

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 08, 2018, 10:34:18 PM

I think some of the players play under the Drumquin banner. With some mixing going on between Castlederg/ Urney/ NTS too and Owen Roes/ CNG.

You'd imagine they'd be squeezed between NTS, Drumquin and Castlederg, with no real town to draw players from.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: trailer on October 08, 2018, 10:45:07 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 08, 2018, 10:34:18 PM

You'd imagine they'd be squeezed between NTS, Drumquin and Castlederg, with no real town to draw players from.

I think it's actually quite a big parish stretching up to Killyclogher as far as I know. However as you say that lack of village focal point makes it difficult. I would guess Ardstraw would be their village as such but it's not a GAA place!

omaghjoe

Speaking of which...

Whats the deal with Sion Mills??

Obliviously its a cricket stronghold. But its a decent size of population with a relevant background, you also have Victoria Bridge there as well.

I know a fella from there who was well into football (Strabane man) but you'd think there'd be players there for their own club

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: omaghjoe on October 09, 2018, 12:47:24 AM
Speaking of which...

Obliviously its a cricket stronghold. But its a decent size of population with a relevant background, you also have Victoria Bridge there as well.

I know a fella from there who was well into football (Strabane man) but you'd think there'd be players there for their own club

There used to be a team in The Glebe (Just outside Sion). However it's a village that has no real GAA heritage. Some people from there would probably gravitate to Urney and a few to Strabane. With Urney struggling at underage for numbers it would be a natural resource for them to tap into for players. Soccer is fairly popular there with Sion Swifts and The Glebe having teams so they would struggle a wee bit to get numbers regardless.

RedHand88

When you think about it Coalisland, clonoe, brackaville, derrylaughan, derrytresk, brocagh, edendork, killyman and dungannon are all within about 8 mile of each other.

laceer

Donaghmore, Rock, Eglish, Moy, Stewartstown as well

square_ball

Great stuff Fionntamhnach you should write a book.

trailer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 09, 2018, 10:01:36 AM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 09, 2018, 12:54:51 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on October 09, 2018, 12:47:24 AM
Speaking of which...

There used to be a team in The Glebe (Just outside Sion). However it's a village that has no real GAA heritage. Some people from there would probably gravitate to Urney and a few to Strabane. With Urney struggling at underage for numbers it would be a natural resource for them to tap into for players. Soccer is fairly popular there with Sion Swifts and The Glebe having teams so they would struggle a wee bit to get numbers regardless.
IIRC there used to be a team called Glebe that fielded at underage level at least around the late 80's & early 90's - we beat them in an under 14 league final around that time. There also used to be another underage team around the same area called Mourne at roughly the same time - I remember playing for Fintona under 12's back then, reading in the Ulster Herald that we were to travel to play them. For some odd reason at the time, I was thinking we were going to play a game in Co. Down!  8)

As Norf says, Sion Mills doesn't really have any GAA history, it's a place where soccer & cricket are dominant. Also worth remembering that Strabane Sigersons are one of the youngest clubs in the county, only starting out fielding underage teams first in 1983 and only had an adult team I think from 1987 onwards. There had been football and hurling teams from the town in the past, but there was a big lull in GAA activity there from around the 60's to early 80's. I remember reading an article written by a Sigersons club man that what spurred them on to field adult teams was that when Tyrone reached their first All-Ireland in 1986, it was a bit embarrassing that the second biggest town in the county, and given its demographics, had no adult Gaelic football team. It spurred them on to also work hard at youth level and they were winning grade 1 titles by the 1990's.

Never knew that about Strabane. Always thought they were long standing club.

Derrytresk and Derrylaughin is a strange one. Aren't both those clubs virtually on top of one another?

Snapchap

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 09, 2018, 09:43:12 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 09, 2018, 07:48:39 AM

When you think about it Coalisland, clonoe, brackaville, derrylaughan, derrytresk, brocagh, edendork, killyman and dungannon are all within about 8 mile of each other.

More going through my own posting history...
QuoteNot sure about Lurgan, but the following clubs all lie within a five mile radius of Coalisland town square...

• Coalisland
  • Clonoe
  • Brackaville
  • Stewartstown
  • Brocagh
  • Derrytresk
  • Derrylaughan
  • Naomh Columcille HC
  • Edendork
  • Killyman
  • Dungannon
  • Eoghan Rua HC
  • Donaghmore
Maghery miss the cut by about 1/2 mile.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=22328.msg1795641#msg1795641

Donaghmore the only one I wasn't convinced by there. If google maps is anything to go by, it too misses the cut, with their field 5.7 miles from Coalisland. Maybe it's within the 5 miles as the crow flies?