?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Sheridan nets new deal at Celtic 

Sheridan made his debut against Inverness on Sunday
Celtic striker Cillian Sheridan has signed a new three-year contract after making an instant impact on his debut.
The 18-year-old came off the bench to set up Kenny Miller's winning goal at Inverness on Sunday, which sealed a place in the Scottish Cup semi-finals.

"I will be working hard to try to ensure that I can make many more appearances for the Celtic first team," Sheridan told the club website.

"I know it will be difficult but I will certainly be doing all I can."

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan believes the Irish teenager can make a long-term impact.

"We are delighted to have secured Cillian on this long-term contract," he said.

"He is a talented player and, like other players at the club, he has the potential to achieve a great deal in the game.

"We will do all we can to ensure that Cillian and these other players realise their potential."

Source BBC newws.

Great news and good work from the Celtic team.

Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

St Johnstone in the semi-final off the Scottish cup, only a hardened bluenose wouldn't say that this is SC number 34 for the Bhoys...!  8)
Tbc....

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 01, 2007, 10:52:43 PM
St Johnstone in the semi-final off the Scottish cup, only a hardened bluenose wouldn't say that this is SC number 34 for the Bhoys...!  8)

Did you see the Perth farmers beating Motherwell on Wednesday night?? 2-1 was no reflection on their dominance...they should have won by 4 or 5. And thats them played 5 SPL teams this season and only been beaten once (by Hibs in extra time after outplaying them). So while Celtic are clear favourites I wouldnt write off the rest yet..St.Johnstone could be awkward as could Hibs if they end up in the final!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Would never write off any team LDA, especially after thte Inverness CT game and Dunfermlines win over the Hun breaking an 8 game losing streak!!!
I just feel that we should be good enough to beat them.
Tbc....

mannix

Whenever I hear about the great scottish champions I smile to myself.
Its a big fish in a small pond and of course they win every weekend and are deemed to be miracle players, put them into the premiership and see how heroic they are.
How many other teams apart from celtic or the other great team rangers have won the spl in the last 25 years?
Inverness and co really have little hope inside the next 25 making the spl a two horse race at best which really is not competition and is very boring!I understand this sounds insulting but is not meant to be, what would celtic fans think of some real competition in the spl?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mannix on March 02, 2007, 09:55:20 AM
Whenever I hear about the great scottish champions I smile to myself.
Its a big fish in a small pond and of course they win every weekend and are deemed to be miracle players, put them into the premiership and see how heroic they are.
How many other teams apart from celtic or the other great team rangers have won the spl in the last 25 years?
Inverness and co really have little hope inside the next 25 making the spl a two horse race at best which really is not competition and is very boring!I understand this sounds insulting but is not meant to be, what would celtic fans think of some real competition in the spl?
maybe so , but in recent seasons Scotish teams have done well against english and euro opponents
the top few SPL teams if given a fraction of the cash that the bottom 10 eng prem team get would be more than a match for all of the bottom half of the epl.
imo....

full back

When Celtic play an English team, they are very much up for it & play as if it were a Cup final. It's doing it on a consistent basis in the EPL that is the trick. For eg wouldnt fancy their chances going to Bolton or Portsmouth on a Wednesday night in December-IMHO

ClosetotheHarte

We all know Celtic are a (very) big fish in a small pond. We're talking about a former European Champion (who last appeared in a European Final as recently as 2003) participating in a League in a country which has a 5 million population, same as Ireland.
We'd all love to see the Celts in the Premiership but it may never happen, sadly. If they went down, they'd be comfortably in the top five/six for the first two or three years and then, having been handed £30 million plus of TV revenue for the third year in a row, could seriously challenge for the title. Anyone who thinks otherwise is daft.
Celtic is a huge club, not just in Scotland but across the world, and deserve to be playing in a stronger League. How big could they really become if they were in the Premiership? Methinks a big fish in a big pond!
The list of Celtic wins/draws in Europe in recent years is remarkable (Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, Utd, Bayern, Liverpool, etc..., not to mention Ajax, Celta Vigo, Stuttgart, Lyon, Blackburn, Benfica, Porto, and many more) considering the domestic League they play in and lack of TV money - and it pisses me off enormously when people run the club down for beating the teams put in front of them in Scotland.
Celtic are in with a fighting chance of a CL quarter final place next week (and I think they can actually do it!) and consider too how poor Rangers have been this year domestically and they've a great chance of making the last 8 of the Uefa Cup.
Teams like Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts aren't the soft touches that some people (with no knowledge at all of these teams) think they are. In fact they would bigger than many of the teams in the over-rated Premiership if they were handed the same blank cheques from Sky as the Watfords, Sheff Utds, Charltons, Wigans, Readings, Fulhams and Portsmouths.
Celtic have suffered one defeat against Premiership opponents in their last eight Euro ties against Liverpool (1 win, 3 draws), Man Utd (1 win, 1 defeat) and Blackburn (2 wins). If it hadn't been for a dodgy penalty at Old Trafford, they might even be unbeaten in 8 meetings with English teams. Do they get any credit for it?
I could go on an on about this topic forever but I'll just finish by saying that it annoys me greatly when I read comments like these:
"Whenever I hear about the great scottish champions I smile to myself. Its a big fish in a small pond and of course they win every weekend and are deemed to be miracle players, put them into the premiership and see how heroic they are."
Celtic supporters are extremely passionate about their team and, no matter where they are plying their trade in future, will take great pleasure in every victory their team achieves - whether its against Inverness or Man Utd!
Comments from those people who can only make snide remarks about Celtic's achievements are not welcome. So keep your comments for the glorified EPL teams, unless you might want to give some due credit to the Celts for beating one of the giants of European football when it happens (quite often in fact!) Some chance of that happening!
PS. Of the ten different clubs that won the last 13 European CL finals Celtic have either drawn with or beaten eight of those successful clubs (Ajax, Milan, Barcelona, Bayern, Utd, Juventus, Porto, Liverpool) in meetings inside the last few years. And Celtic haven't even met the only other two clubs who won the trophy in that time - Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid. But hey, lets concentrate on the wins over teams like Inverness and have a good go at Celtic and Scottsih football at every opportunity and just ignore the many other facts!

full back

Quote from: ClosetotheHarte on March 02, 2007, 11:50:49 AM
I could go on an on about this topic forever but I'll just finish by saying that it annoys me greatly when I read comments like these:
"Whenever I hear about the great scottish champions I smile to myself. Its a big fish in a small pond and of course they win every weekend and are deemed to be miracle players, put them into the premiership and see how heroic they are."
Celtic supporters are extremely passionate about their team and, no matter where they are plying their trade in future, will take great pleasure in every victory their team achieves - whether its against Inverness or Man Utd!
Comments from those people who can only make snide remarks about Celtic's achievements are not welcome. So keep your comments for the glorified EPL teams, unless you might want to give some due credit to the Celts for beating one of the giants of European football when it happens (quite often in fact!) Some chance of that happening!
PS. Of the ten different clubs that won the last 13 European CL finals Celtic have either drawn with or beaten eight of those successful clubs (Ajax, Milan, Barcelona, Bayern, Utd, Juventus, Porto, Liverpool) in meetings inside the last few years. And Celtic haven't even met the only other two clubs who won the trophy in that time - Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid. But hey, lets concentrate on the wins over teams like Inverness and have a good go at Celtic and Scottsih football at every opportunity and just ignore the many other facts!

You almost did go on forever :D

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: mannix on March 02, 2007, 09:55:20 AM

How many teams can win the English Premiership though? Its a two horse race this year and realistically only 1 of Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal (and maybe Liverpool) look like contenders for the forseeable future. The SPL has had two championships go down to the last minute of the last game in the last few years, I dont think people found that too boring ;) Ok its not the greatest league but neither is it bad as some people suggest. The same way the EPL is a decent league but nowhere as good as some people suggest.

mannix

It annoys you boys because its true, celtic have little or no competition in scotland.
I am not here to wind anyone up, just tire of hearing lads on about the great celtic and my cousin saying they would beat any team in the world.Its great and all being a big fish in a small pond,but its a great wonder the do not join the epl, i suppose that would not suit a team that knows it will be champion for 10 of the next 20 years or more.
I have nothing against celtic.They are no doubt a massive club but are definetly hamstrung in a third world league, the league of ireland is not far behind in terms of quality if the truth be told and only for the big 2 spl teams the thing would be just as big a joke.

I leave it at that and let you get all pissed off, the truth hurts.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mannix on March 02, 2007, 01:02:07 PM
It annoys you boys because its true, celtic have little or no competition in scotland.
I am not here to wind anyone up, just tire of hearing lads on about the great celtic and my cousin saying they would beat any team in the world.Its great and all being a big fish in a small pond,but its a great wonder the do not join the epl, i suppose that would not suit a team that knows it will be champion for 10 of the next 20 years or more.
I have nothing against celtic.They are no doubt a massive club but are definetly hamstrung in a third world league, the league of ireland is not far behind in terms of quality if the truth be told and only for the big 2 spl teams the thing would be just as big a joke.

What a pile of steaming dung mannix!!
Did you not bother reading Closetotheharte's post!!  ???
As for Celtic not wanting to enter the EPL, they do want to but cannot because of red tape and some oppositation from teams in the EPL, you Muppet!!!
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

LMAO at the 'cousin' bit.

each to their own and all that. If thats what you think then thats your right to do so!

Almost Agree LDA - only two teams have any chance winning the EPL each season for as long as I can rem.
this has been spread over three teams - man u, arsenal and in the past couple of seasons - Chelsea.

as for boring football, apart from when they play the top teams like rangers or celtic - even the likes of inverness caledonian thistle play more entertaining football than 90% of the epl.

I am not a blind lover of spl soccer, but its mostly more entertaining to watch than the drivel that I see on tv in the epl 'highlights' let alone full games.
imo

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Celtic have no competition in Scotland yet they have been knocked out the CIS Cup and were a minute away from going out of the Scottish Cup last week....looks like competition to me. You say they will be champions for 10 of the 20 seasons so presumably somebody else is going to win the other 10, isnt that competition :o?

As for you saying the SPL is a joke other than the old firm I doubt you have a clue what youre talking about, there are plenty of good players and good teams outside the old firm (which is why the old firm are always raiding the other teams for players).

I fear both you and your cousin are talking a load of rafael scheidt.

ClosetotheHarte

Can't believe I ever started arguing with this idiot who just came back on and said the exact same thing over again. I'll not even bother answering this time.

Quote from: full back on March 02, 2007, 11:54:24 AM
You almost did go on forever :D

If this was 'full back' posting I'd be finished any time now...
Are you trying to become a hero member by breaking up your argument(s) into a thousand little pieces?
All right, I did go on a bit!