O Garas letter to Indo Editor in reply to Myers Article

Started by SLIGONIAN, February 19, 2010, 08:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

SLIGONIAN...

Why the pic of Alan Costello?

On the O Gara issue, he shouldnt have replied but his replay is not that damaging to him.

But, everyone knows and agrees that Myres is a west brit w**ker who knows feck all about sport
A journalistic egomaniac skumbag in my eyes. Just like Ian O Doherty 

Billys Boots

Jaysus, Myers is a poor journalist, who knows very little about most things but has generated this penchant for establishing extreme attitudes to news stories that generates widespread hostility (and sells papers, and thus advertising).  Could this be a 'false' story, generated simply to drum up/maintain public interest in the six-nations tournament (which is probably 'over' for this Irish team)?  You think the O'Reillys aren't that cynical??
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

5 Sams

Myers
Dunphy
Hayes
Spillane
Brolly
Heaney

Very good at what they do....writing controversial stuff in newspapers and gobshites like us buying those papers to see "what thon w*nker is spouting about this week"!!
The Aristocrat Years

mc_grens

Whatever about Ronan O'Gara's strengths and weaknesses as a player, I think alot of people have quickly forgotten who it was that kicked us to the Grand Slam in Cardiff less than a year ago!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Myers is a twat of the highest order, any time he trys to broach a subject that is set beyond the Pale, his lack of actual understanding or knowledge is astounding.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Olaf

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 19, 2010, 10:42:11 AM
Quote from: Olaf on February 19, 2010, 10:19:58 AM
Very ill-advised.

Will Healy, Flannery, O'Leary and even Kidney or the whole Irish team be writing into the paper?

Did Mullin do so in '92?

I don't know how  much Myers knows about rugby but as I read it (with his particular reference to O'Gara) he says that he  is a poor tackler and , in conjunction with O'Leary  has not/does not make the best use of the talented backs outside him. Pretty accurate as far as I can see.

How much do you need to know about rugby to make that statement?

(Myers I mean, not you)

1. In relation to his weak tackling probably not very much as this would be evident to most reasonable observers.

2. In relation to not making the most out of his back-line maybe not as obvious as his positioning is usually very deep which basically just permits him to kick or on the odd occasion fling out a miss pass.

If he meant to have a go at Myers for criticising Ireland's will to win the game (ie the whole team), which is something on which I would not agree with Myers, his choice of the word "scapegoat" was an error.

As I say this is ill-advised unless the remainder of the team are wiling to put in similar letters.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 19, 2010, 12:03:00 PM
SLIGONIAN...

On the O Gara issue, he shouldnt have replied but his replay is not that damaging to him.

But, everyone knows and agrees that Myres is a west brit w**ker who knows feck all about sport
A journalistic egomaniac skumbag in my eyes. Just like Ian O Doherty
Why not Abbeysider.

McGrens, exactly who else would of done that under that pressure....ROG is world class IMO.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mc_grens on February 19, 2010, 01:10:26 PM
Whatever about Ronan O'Gara's strengths and weaknesses as a player, I think alot of people have quickly forgotten who it was that kicked us to the Grand Slam in Cardiff less than a year ago!

Or the Welsh buck that missed! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

ROG should have more sense but has history with Myers, god Myers is such a west brit..

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/kevin-myers-ronan-ogaras-a-real-lout-for-not-giving-the-queen-some-respect-1685515.html

QuoteKevin Myers: Ronan O'Gara's a real lout for not giving the Queen some respect

By Kevin Myers

Friday, 15 May 2009

Ronan O'Gara kept his hands in his pockets when introduced to the Queen

It's simple. Ronan O'Gara is a lout.

Either he kept his hands in his pockets when he met the Queen because he was unaware that no gentlemen ever keeps his hands in his pockets when he is meeting anyone — whether t**ker, tart or toff — which means that he is a lout. Or that he went up to Belfast, freely and of his own accord, and very deliberately kept his hands in his pockets in her presence, in order to establish some political point. Which also means that he is a lout.

And those bigoted midgets who have applauded him for his bad manners have merely shown that they are louts also.

Some things are important. You do not insult the flag of another country, and you do not show disrespect for its head of state.

The English captain Martin Johnson showed such disrespect to the Irish President at Lansdowne Road by refusing to stand closer to the presidential red carpet, thereby making her walk over to him to shake his hand. Whether he did so accidentally or deliberately is irrelevant. He should have been publicly rebuked by the English Rugby Union and forced to apologise. He wasn't and he didn't. He is a lout also.

What he did was a serious breach of international protocol. But this should not have set a standard of Anglo-Hibernian bad manners to which Ronan O'Gara then uniquely adhered. (After all, no other Irish player felt the need to behave like him.)

Which means, if intentional, he went 300 miles to insult the sovereign of a friendly power. How heroic.

Which brings us to the tiresome issue, yet again, of Ireland and the British monarchy. Frankly, I am bored out of my skull with this pathetic, infantile obsession about Ireland not being British and therefore you don't invite the Queen (yes, that's deliberate) to the country.

Only nationalist dwarves accept that argument. If she can visit Germany, whose cities were laid waste in her lifetime, with tens of thousands of civilians being slaughtered in their homes by an air force whose commander in chief was her father, then she can surely visit Ireland.

This issue has all the hallmarks of a very stupid family row. We know that the vast majority of Irish people use the term 'the Queen' when describing the monarch of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Even Seamus Heaney wrote that in his family they never raised a glass to toast the Queen: yes, his capital letter.

The largest immigrant group in Ireland is British. For decades, the largest immigrant group in Britain was Irish. The laws of Ireland are based on English common law, and Irish barristers wear black in mourning for Queen Anne (died 1714). I could go on. So could you. This is because we all know the fundamental truths of this issue.

The culmination of next's season rugby championship will also see the 70th anniversary of the commissioning of Michael Floud Blaney, a Catholic and nationalist from Newry, and a graduate of UCD, into the Royal Engineers. He was rushed through a mine-defusing course, becoming one of the first of the new generation of bomb-disposals officers.

In September 1940, an unexploded German bomb in East London was paralysing traffic and preventing thousands of workers from doing vital war-duties.

Captain Blaney volunteered to defuse the bomb, and working alone — a method he pioneered — he succeeded.

A month later, a new type of bomb was found in London. Fitted with two very dangerous time fuses, its sole purpose was to kill bomb-disposals officers like him. However, it was causing major economic dislocation and had to be tackled.

Again he volunteered to defuse it alone. He was successful. Then, a fortnight before Christmas, just after his 30th birthday, Captain Blaney was called to deal with another bomb.

It had lain unexploded for several days, and was causing huge economic disruption. As usual he crawled unaccompanied into the crater, and while he worked on it the bomb exploded.

King George VI — the father of the woman in whose company Ronan O'Gara thought it appropriate to keep his hands in his pockets — awarded Captain Michael Floud Blaney a posthumous George Cross, the highest possible British decoration for a soldier not personally present in the face of the enemy.

As Ronan O'Gara travelled North last week to insult — either intentionally or otherwise — the Queen, he would have passed Newry Old Chapel Graveyard, where the remains of Captain Michael Floud Blaney GC are buried.

How many people now know of this gallant man in the town where he was born, and where he had once been in charge of the roads department?

Not many, I'd guess. Still, it's worth remembering that he used his hands to save life, not insult people.

The ultimate reward of the endeavours of so many Irishmen like him is also known by the name 'freedom', beside which two words such as 'Grand Slam' or 'Ronan O'Gara' do not properly belong.
#newbridgeornowhere

magickingdom

i have to say i've never rated o gara, i dont know how the guy has got this far with his kicking gme. having said that myrers is a class a bollix best ignored

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 19, 2010, 09:02:57 PM
ROG should have more sense but has history with Myers, god Myers is such a west brit..

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/kevin-myers-ronan-ogaras-a-real-lout-for-not-giving-the-queen-some-respect-1685515.html

QuoteKevin Myers: Ronan O'Gara's a real lout for not giving the Queen some respect

By Kevin Myers

Friday, 15 May 2009

Either he kept his hands in his pockets when he met the Queen because he was unaware that no gentlemen ever keeps his hands in his pockets when he is meeting anyone — whether t**ker, tart or toff — which means that he is a lout. Or that he went up to Belfast, freely and of his own accord, and very deliberately kept his hands in his pockets in her presence, in order to establish some political point. Which also means that he is a lout.

And those bigoted midgets who have applauded him for his bad manners have merely shown that they are louts also.

Some things are important. You do not insult the flag of another country, and you do not show disrespect for its head of state.

The English captain Martin Johnson showed such disrespect to the Irish President at Lansdowne Road by refusing to stand closer to the presidential red carpet, thereby making her walk over to him to shake his hand. Whether he did so accidentally or deliberately is irrelevant. He should have been publicly rebuked by the English Rugby Union and forced to apologise. He wasn't and he didn't. He is a lout also.

What he did was a serious breach of international protocol. But this should not have set a standard of Anglo-Hibernian bad manners to which Ronan O'Gara then uniquely adhered. (After all, no other Irish player felt the need to behave like him.)

Which means, if intentional, he went 300 miles to insult the sovereign of a friendly power. How heroic.

Which brings us to the tiresome issue, yet again, of Ireland and the British monarchy. Frankly, I am bored out of my skull with this pathetic, infantile obsession about Ireland not being British and therefore you don't invite the Queen (yes, that's deliberate) to the country.

Only nationalist dwarves accept that argument. If she can visit Germany, whose cities were laid waste in her lifetime, with tens of thousands of civilians being slaughtered in their homes by an air force whose commander in chief was her father, then she can surely visit Ireland.

This issue has all the hallmarks of a very stupid family row. We know that the vast majority of Irish people use the term 'the Queen' when describing the monarch of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Even Seamus Heaney wrote that in his family they never raised a glass to toast the Queen: yes, his capital letter.

The largest immigrant group in Ireland is British. For decades, the largest immigrant group in Britain was Irish. The laws of Ireland are based on English common law, and Irish barristers wear black in mourning for Queen Anne (died 1714). I could go on. So could you. This is because we all know the fundamental truths of this issue.

The culmination of next's season rugby championship will also see the 70th anniversary of the commissioning of Michael Floud Blaney, a Catholic and nationalist from Newry, and a graduate of UCD, into the Royal Engineers. He was rushed through a mine-defusing course, becoming one of the first of the new generation of bomb-disposals officers.

In September 1940, an unexploded German bomb in East London was paralysing traffic and preventing thousands of workers from doing vital war-duties.

Captain Blaney volunteered to defuse the bomb, and working alone — a method he pioneered — he succeeded.

A month later, a new type of bomb was found in London. Fitted with two very dangerous time fuses, its sole purpose was to kill bomb-disposals officers like him. However, it was causing major economic dislocation and had to be tackled.

Again he volunteered to defuse it alone. He was successful. Then, a fortnight before Christmas, just after his 30th birthday, Captain Blaney was called to deal with another bomb.

It had lain unexploded for several days, and was causing huge economic disruption. As usual he crawled unaccompanied into the crater, and while he worked on it the bomb exploded.

King George VI — the father of the woman in whose company Ronan O'Gara thought it appropriate to keep his hands in his pockets — awarded Captain Michael Floud Blaney a posthumous George Cross, the highest possible British decoration for a soldier not personally present in the face of the enemy.

As Ronan O'Gara travelled North last week to insult — either intentionally or otherwise — the Queen, he would have passed Newry Old Chapel Graveyard, where the remains of Captain Michael Floud Blaney GC are buried.

How many people now know of this gallant man in the town where he was born, and where he had once been in charge of the roads department?

Not many, I'd guess. Still, it's worth remembering that he used his hands to save life, not insult people.

The ultimate reward of the endeavours of so many Irishmen like him is also known by the name 'freedom', beside which two words such as 'Grand Slam' or 'Ronan O'Gara' do not properly belong.

Fckn hate Myers, he wrote another piece last week that had me raging, he seems to piss of everyone, no matter their political, religious, or sporting affilitaion, gender, native, immigrant, age, social economic backgroundf, from the capital, from the North, from the regions or other, no matter who you are, Myers has an opinion. He keeps pushing and pushing the Irish who fought in the Great War (yes you have got your point across Myers, many of us agree with you to an extent, but you are boring us now)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mylestheslasher

Myers just takes  the minority view and prides himself in coming up with some high end intellectual argument to justify the opposite of what everyone thinks.

Abbeysider - good call on Ian O Doherty, another total w**ker.

I would also put forward Brendan O Connor, you know the one who used to think he was a comedian and is now a chat show host - another vermin from the Sunday Indo.

Maiden1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 19, 2010, 09:02:57 PM

By Kevin Myers

Friday, 15 May 2009

He doesn't seem to like small people.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

AbbeySider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 19, 2010, 04:32:55 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on February 19, 2010, 12:03:00 PM
SLIGONIAN...

Why not Abbeysider.

Fair play, its nice to see Costello, a former Mayo player respected and held in such reguard that someone would use his pic in their every post.
I kinda know him, nice fella. Would he be rated highly in Sligo? I always thought myself that he was a decent player but maybe lacking a yard of pace to cut it at the highest level.

Massey-135

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 19, 2010, 12:28:08 PM
Myers
Dunphy
Hayes
Spillane
Brolly
Heaney

Very good at what they do....writing controversial stuff in newspapers and gobshites like us buying those papers to see "what thon w*nker is spouting about this week"!!

i wouldn't throw paddy heaney in with that lot, he's better than that