Why do we Bother!!!

Started by Mid Mon, April 15, 2009, 03:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: the scenic route on April 16, 2009, 04:54:25 PM
I live on the border just north of it mind one of my mates in a similar situation as myself final year university worried about the job prospects has decided the best way we could get through the recession is if we both register in the south to relatives addresses for the dole and collect our €240 ill tell you what it does pay if your getting that and maybe clearing 100/150 pound a week for bit of cash in hand work on top of that.
Mind you id near go out and have four children and retire off the back of the benefits of them i was meaning to get back into playing a bit of golf this summer if i got the time lol :D

Well you can try that but as far as i know you  need 2 years PRSI/PAYE contributions in the south before you can claim that.

Tubberman

QuoteI live on the border just north of it mind one of my mates in a similar situation as myself final year university worried about the job prospects has decided the best way we could get through the recession is if we both register in the south to relatives addresses for the dole and collect our €240 ill tell you what it does pay if your getting that and maybe clearing 100/150 pound a week for bit of cash in hand work on top of that.

What's your name and address out of curiosity you thieving fcker
;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ludermor

Quote from: nifan on April 16, 2009, 11:09:37 AM
This whole thing of never crossing the border in the past - I doubt that was the general case for unionists.

We, and most people I knew as a kid regularly holidayed in the ROI - cork, kerry, galway particularly I remember.
I was in the likes of Achill Island with my scouts as well - which was ostensibly protestant as it was held in a church hall, but there where also catholics in it as well.

You would have been in good company in Achill, it has a long but not very proud (from speaking to lads i know anyway) protestant history.

Gnevin

Quote from: Tubberman on April 16, 2009, 05:05:51 PM
QuoteI live on the border just north of it mind one of my mates in a similar situation as myself final year university worried about the job prospects has decided the best way we could get through the recession is if we both register in the south to relatives addresses for the dole and collect our €240 ill tell you what it does pay if your getting that and maybe clearing 100/150 pound a week for bit of cash in hand work on top of that.

;)
Got to love this attitude, there is no border when it suits some people in the North but when they want too rip us off or smuggle petrol the boarder is very real.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

cavan4ever

Quote from: Gnevin on April 16, 2009, 06:12:33 PM

;)
Got to love this attitude, there is no border when it suits some people in the North but when they want too rip us off or smuggle petrol the boarder is very real.

It aint that simple anyway, cant just appear this side of border and expect to get welfare.

Rossfan

Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 10:52:51 PM
! Of course you talk of cut backs to the dole and the likes Rossfan are outraged.
I'm outraged at smug well heeled right wing gobs like you who think that the problems now being experienced are all the fault of the little people instead of the greedy grasping cnuts who really caused it all.
If little or no Social Welfare and low wages are the answer how come Haiti isnt the greatest economy in the world.?

What a pity Gnevin doesnt live in France -- those boyos would soon put an end to his smugness.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mylestheslasher

Quote from: cavan4ever on April 16, 2009, 06:36:39 PM

;)

It aint that simple anyway, cant just appear this side of border and expect to get welfare.

I don't know. There has always been people going both sides of the border for this sort of thing. All you need to do is to have an address in north and south and have worked a period in both. Once on the system you are there for good. This was rampant in the 80's, probably died of during the celtic tiger and I'd imagine will make a come back again now.

Gnevin

Just thinking about this .
Do the figures given make sense?

35,000 lets assume no tax
18,000 P/A mortgage

17,000 Left
5,200 or 100 P/W food very low by the way

10,400 or 200 P/W electric and heat very low by the way

1400 left
For Car,Golf, School books, kids stuff etc ?

Am I missing something .  Surely his wife is on something or someone is lying about his gross or the figures?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Rossfan on April 16, 2009, 09:10:13 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 10:52:51 PM
! Of course you talk of cut backs to the dole and the likes Rossfan are outraged.
I'm outraged at smug well heeled right wing gobs like you who think that the problems now being experienced are all the fault of the little people instead of the greedy grasping cnuts who really caused it all.
If little or no Social Welfare and low wages are the answer how come Haiti isnt the greatest economy in the world.?

What a pity Gnevin doesnt live in France -- those boyos would soon put an end to his smugness.
I am neither Right wing or smug.  I have defended the Social Welfare system on here many times and believe in the need for the system .

What would you define as little social welfare by all accounts this man is getting more on the dole than on working . Surely you agree that is not right. 

The cost of living has dropped and many people's wages have too . Social Welfare should decrease but won't the best that will happen is no increases for a couple of years.  I've heard up North its £56 a week compare to €210 is the cost of living 4 time higher here?

When did I say it was all the fault of the little people ?  The little person didn't cause this but unfortunately we all need to help to fix it. This sort attitude of it was all the bankers, developers who caused it not me ,let them fix it  just doesn't fly. Well the problems may of been cause by these Muppets but the problem is so big now that even if you took every assets of every banker, developer and fat cat in this country we still wouldn't have enough to but the economy right (and would probably tank the economy even more but that is beside the point).

Are the Fat Cats being hit hard enough ? No I don't believe so but the Government can only control taxes and spending and we need to make cut backs  and increase the tax base. The cut backs will have to come from the Social Welfare and the Public Service , while the taxes will come from all but rich should and are paying more .

rosnarun

i think those figure need to be examined , befor people start voting for labour camps for the poor
their dole is €443.90 FOR 6 PEOPLE or €74 eachtry living on that. plus they need to find 300 a month if we are to believe that some one on 28K would have a 14K a year mortgate,( and as was asked what the story with the mortgage interest supplement , this soounds grossly over stated)  this leaves them with €63 or about the green fee of a decent golf course.
Just because the english Government treats its poor like scum is no excuse for the Irish to do the same .
I know this all come out of our taxes but i for one am comforted by the fact the if i do lose my Job i won't be thrown to the wolves.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Gnevin

Quote from: rosnarun on April 17, 2009, 01:41:49 AM
i think those figure need to be examined , befor people start voting for labour camps for the poor
their dole is €443.90 FOR 6 PEOPLE or €74 eachtry living on that. plus they need to find 300 a month if we are to believe that some one on 28K would have a 14K a year mortgate,( and as was asked what the story with the mortgage interest supplement , this soounds grossly over stated)  this leaves them with €63 or about the green fee of a decent golf course.
Just because the english Government treats its poor like scum is no excuse for the Irish to do the same .
I know this all come out of our taxes but i for one am comforted by the fact the if i do lose my Job i won't be thrown to the wolves.

I agree as I showed above the figures before he was on the dole didn't seem to make much sense either .

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 16, 2009, 09:12:59 PM

;)

I don't know. There has always been people going both sides of the border for this sort of thing. All you need to do is to have an address in north and south and have worked a period in both. Once on the system you are there for good. This was rampant in the 80's, probably died of during the celtic tiger and I'd imagine will make a come back again now.
I would have thought this was the case too myles , as you point out.

as for gnevin and rossfan
lads I see merit in what both of you are saying.

there has yet to be measures taken against the top end fat cats, plus the civil service inefficiency.
There needs to be more stringent levels for geting dole and benefits here too, as even before the celtic tiger a lot of people I knew in certain enclaves were all on the dole and didnt want jobs.
now with widespread dole fraud, this needs to be sorted out.
A lot of benefits are being paid by the state that should be cut out completely (eg €150 for 'ethnic' hairdo's in navan).
these days dole/benefit should be the last refuge to keep a family/people afloat. It should be trimmed of excessive stuff so that additional impoverished former self employed people can survive as they are entitled to nothing.
Thats why I say there needs to be serious investigation and swift reconcilliatory measures taken to address all this.
The Gov are thinking about bringing in a green card system, how long will they deliberate on this before it comes in.
Prob wont.
We can do a lot with the resources we currently have to go a long way to keep things afloat if the gov make this happen. Hard to get turkeys to vote for christmas and thats what they are are facing regarding gov v civil service/public sector.
1. to make them more effiecient and change, 2.to make them actually work to get this survey and then restructuring done.

the scenic route

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 16, 2009, 09:12:59 PM

;)

I wont just give the name and address away lol dont want an angry mob at the door some evenin
but my da's buisness address and name registered in the south and i have had a prsi number from working for him summers and all that for about 7 years,
i hope a havent upset too many people here threatenin to put my hand in the money jar down south.. I think one of the aspects of the new budget was to tighten up on this.
"Underneath that thin veneer of human civilisation, we're all just a bunch of fu*king animals"

magickingdom

its mental, social welfare should be a subsistence allowance period, anyone married with kids making under 50k is nuts for working

Gnevin

Quote from: magickingdom on April 17, 2009, 08:51:37 PM
its mental, social welfare should be a subsistence allowance period, anyone married with kids making under 50k is nuts for working

Were banks ever so bad that they where giving what I assume is a single wage a mortgage which required more than 50% of their wage a year in repayments. This story doesn't add up