2016 All Ireland U-21 football championship

Started by Captain Obvious, February 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 23, 2016, 11:08:54 AM

True but the last two weekends were free...
College competitions were on, wouldnt make sense to clash with them.

Rossfan

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 23, 2016, 12:08:43 PM

If I remember correctly Roscommon could easily have beaten Mayo in 2013 but the Roscommon lot on here don't seem very confident this year.
If we had all our players fit we'd feel we'd have an equal chance with Galway and Mayowestros but unfortunately we're not operating with a full deck.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2016, 01:49:23 PM
unfortunately, we're not operating with a full deck.

I think we've already realised this about Rossie posters.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

redhandefender

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 23, 2016, 11:38:59 AM
Quote from: TF15 on February 23, 2016, 10:51:17 AM
Tyrone have Goalkeeper (Fox), two midfielders (Burns and McShane), CHF (Kavanagh), Corner forward (Brennan) who started last years final I think. McGlone also played that final as a sub if memory serves me. There's a couple of other fellas who were on the panel last year too. It's a good team but not as good as last years AI winners IMO. The best player at minor in this team is in Oz playing AFL (Conor McKenna) but I still think Ulster is achievable and who knows after that.
Interesting. Not that many. I was just wondering where the strong feeling of them being favourites came from.

They are probably classed as favourites as this age group got to an all Ireland minor final a few years ago only to get beat by Mayo. They were a good side but threw away a massive lead in the ulster final to get beat by monaghan. As someone said above conor mc kenna was probably their best player.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on February 23, 2016, 01:49:23 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 23, 2016, 12:08:43 PM

If I remember correctly Roscommon could easily have beaten Mayo in 2013 but the Roscommon lot on here don't seem very confident this year.
If we had all our players fit we'd feel we'd have an equal chance with Galway and Mayowestros but unfortunately we're not operating with a full deck.

Thankfully the major ones bar Harney are clearing up.  If Murtagh and Compton can play the 60 we can give Galway their fill.

tippabu

We have on paper a very good looking under 21 team, unfortunately we are missing colin o'riordan from it. Also our biggest problem is we are playing away to kerry first day out, any other team in munster id fancy our chances of beating but kerry look very strong coming off the back of their minor successes and having jack o connor over them too.

galwayman

I'd be more confident if Flynn was in charge again this year.
Gerry Fahy has been there before both with the minors and u21s (and had the benefit of a lot of talent in all of those years) and has been a disaster!
Can't see the reasoning behind giving him the job again.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

ck

Quote from: sligoman2 on February 22, 2016, 05:47:54 PM
I think we will struggle this year but I'm looking forward to the minor championship.
Connacht colleges A final will be contested between two Sligo Schools - Summerhill and Saint Attractas
First time ever this has happened and the first time the winner will be from Sligo since 1985. 
Hopefully this converts into good minor and U21 teams in the coming years.

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. I watched us against Fermanagh in a shield final last month and we were convincing winners. We also rang Mayo and Donegal close

ck

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 23, 2016, 09:45:55 AM
Are many of last year's Tyrone team under age this year?

If memory serves me Tyrone got to the All Ireland minor final 3 years ago so that would be this years u21's? That would put them up there regardless of who they have from last year.

Also hearing that both Monaghan and Derry are flying up north. Derry beat Crossmaglen and Castlebar in challenge game and hammered Armagh and Down in challenge games.

In Connacht Rossies went well in Hastings but I think Galway will beat them based on what they have on paper anywa

nrico2006

You would imagine Tyrone and Mayo would be strong enough given that they were minor finalists in 2013, plus Tyrone won it last year and have retained key players.  But as mentioned, they have lost the best talent from the 2013 team.  They have recently won the Shamrock Cup and beat Monaghan twice in the competition.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

We did very poorly in the'oul Hastings this year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Unlaoised

Laois have a good team on paper for the first time in a few years but confidence is low after a barren few years...

Louth away tonight will be massive test of the teams bottle I think there was 5/6 players involved in Dundalks Trench cup win on this Louth team so they will be flying after having such a good win under Oisin Mcconville at the weekend!
LAOIS ABÚ

ballinaman

Quote from: ck on February 24, 2016, 10:55:36 AM
I think we will struggle this year but I'm looking forward to the minor championship.
Connacht colleges A final will be contested between two Sligo Schools - Summerhill and Saint Attractas
First time ever this has happened and the first time the winner will be from Sligo since 1985. 

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. I watched us against Fermanagh in a shield final last month and we were convincing winners. We also rang Mayo and Donegal close
Mayo beat Sligo 3-12 to 0-4 in the north west cup. Sligo were horrendous.

FermGael

Quote from: ck on February 24, 2016, 10:55:36 AM

CK I wouldn't be taking an awful lot out of that game.
Fermanagh played a completely different 15 from the team that beat you by 11 in the league stages.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered