Donegal v Tyrone Sun 17 May

Started by tyroneman, April 18, 2015, 07:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: ONeill on April 19, 2015, 10:54:53 PM
What are the women like in Ballybofey?
was game of thrones not filmed here?

Fuzzman

RH Santa not gonna like all the negative down playing of our chances in this game.

Our U21 final result will impact our confidence or lack of a little but our lack of leaders and belief that we can beat teams like this any more is our biggest downfall I believe.
That was the first thing McGuiness changed when he took over. His sports psychology skills changed a rather mediocre underachieving team into a strong team of athletes who believed they could now beat teams like Tyrone, Kerry, Cork and Dublin.
As Mickey used to say back in 03 if you believe you will win then you've a good chance but half hearted belief and you'll be found out.
Will McNulty be draughted in along with McShane and Bradley. Our bench is crap.
Will be interesting to see is there the same lack of interest for tickets for this game from Tyrone fans as last year.
Mickey could well have something new up his sleeve for this one. Big Joe, Sean and Mattie or McShane all in FF line perhaps?

DennistheMenace

Donegal by 5 or 6 I think. Tyrone will put it up to them in the first half like Derry did last year but ultimately Donegal will prove too strong.

ck

Is there anyone who gives Tyrone a hope in hell?

People are saying Donegal "are playing well". They were nearly relegated form Div 1 and took a tanking from Cork in croke park. Rory Gallagher is in year 1 and will be seriously under the spot light against Tyrone. Mickey Harte has been managing Tyrone for about 45 years at this stage. I think this game will be closer than people think. Never rule out Tyrone

illdecide

Quote from: ck on April 21, 2015, 01:16:28 PM

People are saying Donegal "are playing well". They were nearly relegated form Div 1 and took a tanking from Cork in croke park. Rory Gallagher is in year 1 and will be seriously under the spot light against Tyrone. Mickey Harte has been managing Tyrone for about 45 years at this stage. I think this game will be closer than people think. Never rule out Tyrone

Well i think it's music to Tyrone's ears that everyone is writing them off and they'll certainly use it as motivation for this game but i can't see Donegal under estimating Tyrone (not a team with championship pedigree) and i think Donegal will have too much for them but it could be loser than most people think (2-3pts). We (Armagh) are waiting on the winners and TBH i't doesn't really matter who wins as it'll be as tough no matter who we face...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

J70

I wouldn't rule out Tyrone either, and this game will be very tight with scores hard to get. If Donegal can shut down Tyrone's attack again, they should win it, but the mistakes from the likes of Durcan will have to stop.

Donegal's form has been on a par with the other teams and they had only one really poor performance in this year's league. If Donegal were nearly relegated,  then so were Mayo and Kerry, and I don't think too many will be bringing THAT up come championship.

However, it's ridiculous to say Donegal "got a tanking" from Cork or to read much into what was effectively a challenge match in which barely a hand was laid on a forward and in which the margin at the end was four points.

BluestackBoy

Ah now, hold on one minute here.

1. Donegal were not nearly relegated, not even close.
2. Donegal were not "tanked" by Cork, there was three points in it.

The game may well be a close one, Tyrone may even win, but trying to put a gloss like that on things will convince no one.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

rrhf

Last years all Ireland finalists and league semi finalists with an astute fresh new manager who they all really believe can win out in a championship cauldron against a 3 times all ireland winner.
I dont doubt Donegals on field ability - they should win on that alone.  But until their novice manager wins a few championship games without Jimmy making the big calls, and gets that monkey off his back the pressure might come on him.   The fall out with Jimmy Mc Guinness is well done and dusted now.  Is it fair to say in his last championship game involved with Donegal they got drubbed in Croke Park and as a result he took the fall.  Next year they were in an All Ireland final without him involved.  I wish the lad well and hope that he can piece it together 2 years on...   
Inexperience on the line could be a great leveller. MH is Tyrones trump card if the games tight. 

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on April 19, 2015, 10:54:53 PM
What are the women like in Ballybofey?

The are like the men in Granard.
MWWSI 2017

BluestackBoy

Quote from: rrhf on April 21, 2015, 06:19:23 PM
Last years all Ireland finalists and league semi finalists with an astute fresh new manager who they all really believe can win out in a championship cauldron against a 3 times all ireland winner.
I dont doubt Donegals on field ability - they should win on that alone.  But until their novice manager wins a few championship games without Jimmy making the big calls, and gets that monkey off his back the pressure might come on him.   The fall out with Jimmy Mc Guinness is well done and dusted now. Is it fair to say in his last championship game involved with Donegal they got drubbed in Croke Park and as a result he took the fall. Next year they were in an All Ireland final without him involved.  I wish the lad well and hope that he can piece it together 2 years on...   
Inexperience on the line could be a great leveller. MH is Tyrones trump card if the games tight.

I don't know where you got that from but it is news to me.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

rrhf

Quote from: BluestackBoy on April 21, 2015, 08:01:12 PM
Quote from: rrhf on April 21, 2015, 06:19:23 PM
I dont doubt Donegals on field ability - they should win on that alone.  But until their novice manager wins a few championship games without Jimmy making the big calls, and gets that monkey off his back the pressure might come on him.   The fall out with Jimmy Mc Guinness is well done and dusted now. Is it fair to say in his last championship game involved with Donegal they got drubbed in Croke Park and as a result he took the fall. Next year they were in an All Ireland final without him involved.  I wish the lad well and hope that he can piece it together 2 years on...   

I don't know where you got that from but it is news to me.
Was the mayo game not the tipping point in that management team.

BennyHarp

It's been a long time since I went into a Tyrone game and struggled to make a case for us winning but I'm finding it difficult to find a strong argument for us going to Ballybofey and getting the result. However, on a positive slant, I think we may be better off avoiding the Ulster Championship and going via the qualifiers. A perfect opportunity has arisen to replace the lads who have left the panel with 6 or 7 U21s. I'd like to see Hampsey, Cassidy, both Brennan's, Meyler, McNulty, Burns and McGlone involved  with the panel alongside McShane and Bradley who are already there. Let them have a years experience of championship football and give them as much game time as possible, throw them all into a full Div 2 next year to gain further experience and then head into next years Championship with much more optimism than we are this year. Any championship win is a bonus in 2015 and if we can win an u21 All Ireland and have a good run in the minors then the year will not have been a disaster. Best of luck to Donegal in Ulster, please go easy on our young uns!
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 21, 2015, 09:59:32 PM
It's been a long time since I went into a Tyrone game and struggled to make a case for us winning but I'm finding it difficult to find a strong argument for us going to Ballybofey and getting the result. However, on a positive slant, I think we may be better off avoiding the Ulster Championship and going via the qualifiers. A perfect opportunity has arisen to replace the lads who have left the panel with 6 or 7 U21s. I'd like to see Hampsey, Cassidy, both Brennan's, Meyler, McNulty, Burns and McGlone involved  with the panel alongside McShane and Bradley who are already there. Let them have a years experience of championship football and give them as much game time as possible, throw them all into a full Div 2 next year to gain further experience and then head into next years Championship with much more optimism than we are this year. Any championship win is a bonus in 2015 and if we can win an u21 All Ireland and have a good run in the minors then the year will not have been a disaster. Best of luck to Donegal in Ulster, please go easy on our young uns!

My very own thinking, alas, with quite a lot riding on this U21 Final.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fuzzman

Well said Benny but I fear Mickey won't do that.
I believe he's had quite a bit of input with Logan and the U21s but if past experience is anything to go on Mickey will only choose his favourites from an early stage.
I'd be happy seeing Brennan, McShane and Bradley though I don't know the others well enuf.

Main Street

Aw shucks, Benny, I almost shed a tear.