Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer93

So League finals have passed us by, both teams suffered defeat at the hands of Munster teams, what sort of Omens do you think this has set out now for the Championship 1st round clash of the titans? Were both teams keeping their cards close to their chest in the hope of fooling their Ulster rival? Or were both teams simply just shockingly bad. Are the Bradley brothers and Freeman relied too much on and who has the strongest bench with the biggest number of options?

bingobus

I would have Derry as favourites by quite a bit after yesterday. Thought Monaghan got exposed in the wide open spaces, hopefully a tighter Celtic Park will help them.

Our midfield is struggling and we don't have any options there at all. Lennon way off form and only 4 weeks to find it. Still think we need JP Mone out there but we don't have a FB either.

Derry are stronger than last year imo and have less reliance on Paddy Bradley. Still a bit wasteful in front of goal but will create plenty of chances.

Will take a massive Monaghan effot to win, akin to Casement Park two years ago. Derry will be ready and willing from the off I feel.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM
So League finals have passed us by, both teams suffered defeat at the hands of Munster teams, what sort of Omens do you think this has set out now for the Championship 1st round clash of the titans?

No omens. Neither team got out of 3rd gear. In Monaghans case they had a near full strength team but they didnt seem interested in imposing themselves on the game. Derry were short a lot of players. I wouldnt read too much into the finals.

Were both teams keeping their cards close to their chest in the hope of fooling their Ulster rival? Or were both teams simply just shockingly bad.

Monaghan were particularly bad played with no defensive system but whilst not suggesting that any team goes out to lose, they can be sent out not fully primed to win. Monaghan are now well established under Banty and they will definitely have a concrete system of play come match day. In many ways losing the league final is no worse than winning them, especially in Derrys case where we have had more than enough success in the league, and subsequent failure in the summer.

Are the Bradley brothers and Freeman relied too much on and who has the strongest bench with the biggest number of options?

Every paper you read always goes over the 'too-reliant on the Bradleys' spiel. I think that quite often the case is that they are 2 quality players who are up there with the best in the country and naturally outshine the good players around them. Mark Lynch for example, is starting to look the part in the FF line. His powerful runs provide a good outlet and he brings balance as a right footer. Muldoon and Murphy will also chip in and under Cassidy we have more defenders chipping in, our half backs can all take scores. From what I have seen of Monaghan they too seem to have a good spread of scorers, Freeman, Woods, Finlay and McManus.

On the bench issue I would argue that Derry are superior in this sector. A lot of players have had 'GAMETIME', as Green man is fond of saying, and when these injuries clear up we now have back up for every sector. This is not to say Monaghan have a weak bench but they have had a relatively consistent starting 15 for a while now. I think if they lost say Finlay and Freeman it would hurt them more than us losing Paddy B and Doc, provided Patsy B and Skinner were there.

Despite how bad we were against Monaghan the past 2 years the games were still close. I think we are due to win this one, albeit marginally.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Main Street

So League finals have passed us by, both teams suffered defeat at the hands of Munster teams, what sort of Omens do you think this has set out now for the Championship 1st round clash of the titans? Were both teams keeping their cards close to their chest in the hope of fooling their Ulster rival? Or were both teams simply just shockingly bad. Are the Bradley brothers and Freeman relied too much on and who has the strongest bench with the biggest number of options?
Players like Freeman and Bradley are relied upon because they are very good players. If a team have others to take on the responsibility then fine. If not, you do your best. It's not as if a county like Monaghan can produce a player like T Freeman in twos and threes.
I don't see it as a weakness, it's just a reality.

Who can tell with Derry.  Last year they won the league but by the time they came to Clones they looked a dishevelled dispirited bunch, beaten by a Monaghan team just warily putting the bits and pieces together to rediscover their shape. I'm told that this year will be different for Derry, that the new management will have sorted out a few important issues.

That's close enough to Monaghan's first team you saw on Sunday and some foolishly might say  "if so, then Monaghan are fecked".
Not so in my opinion, no matter what best team you put out in a div 2 final, if they don't perform then they will look very inept.
The Monaghan team will not perform like that for the Derry game.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2009, 02:10:40 PM
Players like Freeman and Bradley are relied upon because they are very good players. If a team have others to take on the responsibility then fine. If not, you do your best. It's not as if a county like Monaghan can produce a player like T Freeman in twos and threes.
I don't see it as a weakness, it's just a reality.

Who can tell with Derry.  Last year they won the league but by the time they came to Clones they looked a dishevelled dispirited bunch, beaten by a Monaghan team just warily putting the bits and pieces together to rediscover their shape. I'm told that this year will be different for Derry, that the new management will have sorted out a few important issues.

That's close enough to Monaghan's first team you saw on Sunday and some foolishly might say  "if so, then Monaghan are fecked".
Not so in my opinion, no matter what best team you put out in a div 2 final, if they don't perform then they will look very inept.
The Monaghan team will not perform like that for the Derry game.
....and Derry have not had experienced the championship 'borderline' play that Monaghan and a few others do so well.
In the past Derry have lost the head shouting at the ref or resorting to retaliation and forgetting to play football and losing the game as a result.
Monaghan have been playing as a unit for the past few years and will find it easier to get back into that grove than a still experimantal Derry side with no continuity will have.
Derry have the talent, but teams win championship games.Can Derry get it together in time?

DUBSFORSAM1

I think the most important aspect in this game is that the old rules will be back in place which will suit Monaghan a lot more than Derry I would think

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 27, 2009, 05:17:31 PM
I think the most important aspect in this game is that the old rules will be back in place which will suit Monaghan a lot more than Derry I would think
would agree
Monaghan are a lot more street wise and 'cuter' at the 'black arts' than Derry

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 27, 2009, 05:33:17 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 27, 2009, 05:17:31 PM
would agree
Monaghan are a lot more street wise and 'cuter' at the 'black arts' than Derry

a first time for everything I guess... ;D

Main Street

Monaghan are just apprentices when it comes to the dark arts as well as half the team are no bigger than skinny runts.

I wouldn't play poker against someone from Derry.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2009, 06:12:58 PM
Monaghan are just apprentices when it comes to the dark arts as well as half the team are no bigger than skinny runts.

Corey, Clerkin, Freeman, Mc Quaid, Finaly, Woods etc   :o Ok if you say so...

Main Street

???
I said half the team.
Look like they have just been confirmed, still with the halos.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2009, 06:23:22 PM
???
I said half the team.

Well you;d be hard pushed to find as many burly men on most county teams.

Schkite

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 27, 2009, 06:18:22 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2009, 06:12:58 PM

Corey, Clerkin, Freeman, Mc Quaid, Finaly, Woods etc   :o Ok if you say so...

I'd hardly call Freeman big or burly!

Main Street

McQuaid?

Here he is trying to get to grips with one of Kerry's smallest players.

Maguire01

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on April 27, 2009, 06:32:24 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2009, 06:23:22 PM
???
I said half the team.

Well you;d be hard pushed to find as many burly men on most county teams.
Eh? Are you having a laugh? Monaghan are probably one of the smaller teams in Ulster. Compare Monaghan's lineout to that of Cork yesterday for example. And compare the height and weight of the Derry squad in yesterday's programme and tell me who has more of these 'burly men' you speak of.