Mickey Harte joins the Irish News

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 02:33:40 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 02:20:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 01:49:52 PM
I would see it as hypocracy if he were to accept money for it.

Where'd be the hypocrisy in that? It's not like writing articles for newspapers is an amateur domain.

He publicly objects to his Gaa players getting any money so why can't I object to him getting money for Gaa work?

He is hardly being paid for his literary genius or mayby I have missed something. As far as I can see (if he gets paid) he is doing the job because of his profile achieved on the backs of his Gaa players.

If he objects to them being paid, fine. I have no problem with that.

However if he objects to them being paid, using a column for which he is paid, and his being their is only because of his Gaa success, then I see it as hypocracy.   

You picked a very appropriate name for the GAA Board. writing a column for a newspaper is not an amateur sport like Gaelic football.

muppet

This is very simple.

I have an opinion.

Hypocracy means saying one thing and doing the opposite.

If he says he is against players getting money for being Gaa players but accepts money for being a Gaa man then it is my opinion that it would be hypocracy.

FOSB of course it is an assumption. ::)

We are short on facts as:
1. we don't know if he will be paid
2. he could be writing on theoretical physics
3. we don't know if he will use the column to speak out against the players.

That is why I said if.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

I think the Irish News have fooled all of us by making this annoucement.

You've missed the main point :

The Irish News has gone up to 70p - Mickey's fee must have forced the increase ?

Seriously though, the Irish News have pulled a stroke here - introducing Mickey and masking the rise in the cost.

ziggysego

I'll repeat myself again for you muppet.

Quote from: ziggysego on February 02, 2009, 02:50:00 PM
He publicly objects to his Gaa players getting any money so why can't I object to him getting money for Gaa work?

He objects to pay-for-play / grants for inter-county players. He has no problems with anyone making money elsewhere off the back of the GAA, whether that's advertising, work or the media. Bejaysus, who would have a problem with that.
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 02:58:56 PM

As Ziggy says there muppet, he's very specifically against the payment of monies for play, per se. Fact, and not an assumption in sight!... Which kind of blows a hole below the waterline in your argument. :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on February 02, 2009, 03:03:17 PM
I'll repeat myself again for you muppet.

Quote from: ziggysego on February 02, 2009, 02:50:00 PM

He objects to pay-for-play / grants for inter-county players. He has no problems with anyone making money elsewhere off the back of the GAA, whether that's advertising, work or the media. Bejaysus, who would have a problem with that.
[/b]

How many current players make money from the list you mentioned?

I would suggest there are a lot of former managers who benefit from that list.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 03:05:43 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 02:58:56 PM

As Ziggy says there muppet, he's very specifically against the payment of monies for play, per se. Fact, and not an assumption in sight!... Which kind of blows a hole below the waterline in your argument. :)

Which of course in real terms that means 'monies for play'ers. Which refloats my ship thank you.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 03:08:57 PM
Which of course in real terms that means 'monies for play'ers. Which refloats my ship thank you.

Yes, but not for playing Gaelic Games. MH will not be paid for playing Gaelic Games either, if he's paid at all. So you're still foundered, and it's a sharp rock.

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 03:21:27 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 03:08:57 PM

Yes, but not for playing Gaelic Games. MH will not be paid for playing Gaelic Games either, if he's paid at all. So you're still foundered, and it's a sharp rock.

So your argument is that he is against some Gaa people getting paid for something he doesn't do, but has no problem getting paid for his type of Gaa person?
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

FFS muppet, where has Harte ever said GAA players cannot get paid for advertising, work and the media off the back of the GAA, but he can??
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: ziggysego on February 02, 2009, 03:41:36 PM
FFS muppet, where has Harte ever said GAA players cannot get paid for advertising, work and the media off the back of the GAA, but he can??

Ziggy I never said that.

What i was trying to say was that very few current players earn money that way. However lots of managers or former managers do earn money that way.

I have no problem with a principled objection to anyone whether it is a player, manager or water carrier, getting money in the Gaa. It is an amateur assocation or at least it pretends to be. I also have no problem with people who voice this objection publicly.

Equally I have no problem with people who earn money because of their personal profile in the Gaa.

My opinion is that if anyone did the former and the latter that it would be hypocracy.

MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 03:49:36 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 02, 2009, 03:41:36 PM

Ziggy I never said that.

What i was trying to say was that very few current players earn money that way. However lots of managers or former managers do earn money that way.

I have no problem with a principled objection to anyone whether it is a player, manager or water carrier, getting money in the Gaa. It is an amateur assocation or at least it pretends to be. I also have no problem with people who voice this objection publicly.

Equally I have no problem with people who earn money because of their personal profile in the Gaa.

My opinion that if anyone did the former and the latter that it would be hypocracy.

But Mickey hasn't, so why are you going on about?
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 03:25:33 PM
So your argument is that he is against some Gaa people getting paid for something he doesn't do, but has no problem getting paid for his type of Gaa person?

Jeez, you'll have to do a bit better than that, that's simply gross misrepresentation/distortion. Simple: no pay for play, and only pay for play, and there's no hypocrisy in that.

Edit: Neither did MH ever look for money as a club and county player, nor have a go at Canavan for the few bob he makes for his columns.

RedandGreenSniper

If it was John O'Mahony or a Mayo player who was writing a column whilst still involved with the county team, on one hand I would welcome the insight into proceedings but, on the other hand, I would see it as a potential distraction for the manager/player. Especially if they're team became involved in something controversial during the year and, as a columnist, the player/manager had to comment on it. That would be where there would be an issue.

Mickey Harte is likely to be the best placed manager to write a column as he is the most secure in his job. But, the question remains, what if there is a massive row in the Armagh v Tyrone first round clash, four players are sent off, there's crowd trouble. Would Mickey Harte feel comfortable writing a column then? I doubt it.

From the newspapers point of view its a great appointment as it will be well read and they couldn't give a toss about whether someone will be compromised or not, so long as they don't ignore the issue at hand, whatever it may be.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 02, 2009, 04:27:11 PM
Mickey Harte is likely to be the best placed manager to write a column as he is the most secure in his job. But, the question remains, what if there is a massive row in the Armagh v Tyrone first round clash, four players are sent off, there's crowd trouble. Would Mickey Harte feel comfortable writing a column then? I doubt it.

Fair point RAGS, but he's savvy enough not to stir things or use it as an apologist platform. I'd imagine he'll be writing more in the abstract than the specific, and steering well clear of the pitfalls and pratfalls.

Edit: And several of the hierarchy just might be feeling a little uncomfortable under the collar, particularly those involved with the 'International Rules', for there's one specific that he'll be more than happy to expound upon, ad nauseam.