Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Conflict of interest??

What wil this man be at next..

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

BennyHarp

How does writing an article for the Irish News conflict with his interests as Tyrone football manager? Please explain?

Ziggy - i had nighmares about that dog last night!!!
That was never a square ball!!

GrandMasterFlash

I couldn't give a shit* if he was writin the pamphlets for mass, I'm just tryin to raise a debate.. It just seems a little strange though that he'll be giving his opinions in the biggest GAA newpspaper on the Island while managing Tyrone. If he can't get out of manager mode then the amount of information published by him would be limited.

I've nothing against the man - it just seems strange for him to have a column..

ziggysego

Any different than After Dinner speeches of pre-All-Ireland inspirational speeches to clubs like the Belfast Camogie team? Nah, Mickey's ok. Thanks for you concern though ;)
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

I don't think he'll be giving much away in his column - he might be spreading the word !

Tony Baloney

Better men than Mickey have had to give up newspaper columns due to managerial committments. Sure Sambo gave up "Samob Says..." in the Irish News when he took the reins at Antrim.  ;)

muppet

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on February 02, 2009, 08:08:04 AM
Conflict of interest??

What wil this man be at next..

I would see it as hypocracy if he were to accept money for it.
MWWSI 2017

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 01:49:52 PM

Where'd be the hypocrisy in that? It's not like writing articles for newspapers is an amateur domain.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 02:20:54 PM

Where'd be the hypocrisy in that? It's not like writing articles for newspapers is an amateur domain.

He publicly objects to his Gaa players getting any money so why can't I object to him getting money for Gaa work?

He is hardly being paid for his literary genius or mayby I have missed something. As far as I can see (if he gets paid) he is doing the job because of his profile achieved on the backs of his Gaa players.

If he objects to them being paid, fine. I have no problem with that.

However if he objects to them being paid, using a column for which he is paid, and his being their is only because of his Gaa success, then I see it as hypocracy.   
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

what is wrong with writing for a paper? Everything he has ever had to say has been worth listening too and I'm an Armagh man
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gabriel_Hurl

Some people have little to be worrying about  ::)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2009, 02:33:40 PM
He publicly objects to his Gaa players getting any money so why can't I object to him getting money for Gaa work?

It's not GAA work. It's writing for a paper, and whether the subject matter of his columns is GAA or not, is incidental (and you, or me or anyone, don't know yet what he'll be writing about).

He is hardly being paid for his literary genius or mayby I have missed something. As far as I can see (if he gets paid) he is doing the job because of his profile achieved on the backs of his Gaa players.

More assumptions in the dark.

However if he objects to them being paid, using a column for which he is paid, and his being their is only because of his Gaa success, then I see it as hypocracy.   

And yet more assumptions in the dark.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 02, 2009, 02:20:54 PM

How would it be hypocrisy,
has MH ever preached against getting honest pay for honest work?

I'll look forward to reading his articles.
I suppose that it will an article composed from a telephone interview I doubt that MH's attention to Tyrone  will suffer.

QuoteAs far as I can see (if he gets paid) he is doing the job because of his profile achieved on the backs of his Gaa players

Maybe Tyrone has a high profile because of MH.

Mickey Harte's profile is based on his GAA record and his ability to express himself clearly and concisely in a way that an ordinary joe like myself can understand.

ziggysego

He objects to pay-for-play / grants for inter-county players. He has no problems with anyone making money elsewhere off the back of the GAA, whether that's advertising, work or the media. Bejaysus, who would have a problem with that.
Testing Accessibility