woman dies for want of a abortion

Started by guy crouchback, November 14, 2012, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

I see two distinct groups but I'm wondering if there is another one.

The first are those who are pro-life for reasons linked to religious teachings. The second are those that think that the decision to have an abortion should ultimately lie with the woman that is pregnant.

Do any of you fall into any other category?

Milltown Row2

There are a few here were religious teachings will be a factor, but morally without having a background with religion they could be against it as they see a child concieved at that early stage is a life.. Now in most circumstances its the best thing in the world and when there are even some relationship problems with the couple and it may not last, but having that child and looking back at things its you'll know its the best thing that happened...

I'd die off if my wife said we are going to have another one, but hey ho, i'd just be retiring when they'd be nearly finished college lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
I can't remember who it was on Question Time in Belfast a couple of months ago, but they took issue with the use of the phrase "Pro Life" and suggested that "Pro Birth" would be more appropriate.

It doesn't really apply in this country, where supporters of capital punishment are few, but the huge numbers in the US who are anti-abortion but pro capital punishment illustrates for me how much of a misnomer "pro life" is for people who oppose abortion.

"Pro choice" is probably also too glib a label for those who advocate the extremes of abortion availability.

Therealdonald

I'd started writing a paragraph there, had to delete it because I realised I have a panis and should have zero input into this discussion. It ain't our bodies, so we shouldn't have 1 say or opinion on the matter. Take note men.

TheOptimist

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 30, 2018, 04:25:53 PM
I'd started writing a paragraph there, had to delete it because I realised I have a panis and should have zero input into this discussion. It ain't our bodies, so we shouldn't have 1 say or opinion on the matter. Take note men.

But you were born once!

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 30, 2018, 04:25:53 PM

The Panis Monolgues by Therealdonald..

Íseal agus crua isteach a

I'm against abortion for personal reasons which I'm not going to go in to  on a public discussion board. But thank God it worked out.

thebigfella

Quote from: Esmarelda on January 30, 2018, 03:07:29 PM
I see two distinct groups but I'm wondering if there is another one.

The first are those who are pro-life for reasons linked to religious teachings. The second are those that think that the decision to have an abortion should ultimately lie with the woman that is pregnant.

Do any of you fall into any other category?

I'm pro repeal the 8th to allow proper legislation based upon medical/legal/etc... reccomendations. Whether I'm pro life or choice is irrelevant after that.

Eamonnca1

1 - In the early stages of a pregnancy, a fetus does not have a brain or central nervous system. It is not sentient. It's "alive" in the same way a blade of grass is alive. Applying the label "baby" to a fetus does not make it a baby and it does not make it sentient. People are entitled to a religious belief that from the moment of conception there is a magical mystical force that comes into being at the time of conception, but they are not entitled to enshrine that belief in law and impose it on everyone else.

2 - Someone needs a kidney to save their life. You're the only potential donor that can help. For your own reasons, you don't want to. Does a doctor have the right to forcibly cut you open against your will and extract your organ? No. Even if another life is at stake, it's your body and your decision.

But of course this is all academic because thousands of Irish women have had abortions by travelling to England. The only people benefiting from the 8th amendment are the airlines and ferry lines.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 30, 2018, 06:18:54 PM
1 - In the early stages of a pregnancy, a fetus does not have a brain or central nervous system. It is not sentient. It's "alive" in the same way a blade of grass is alive. Applying the label "baby" to a fetus does not make it a baby and it does not make it sentient. People are entitled to a religious belief that from the moment of conception there is a magical mystical force that comes into being at the time of conception, but they are not entitled to enshrine that belief in law and impose it on everyone else.

2 - Someone needs a kidney to save their life. You're the only potential donor that can help. For your own reasons, you don't want to. Does a doctor have the right to forcibly cut you open against your will and extract your organ? No. Even if another life is at stake, it's your body and your decision.

But of course this is all academic because thousands of Irish women have had abortions by travelling to England. The only people benefiting from the 8th amendment are the airlines and ferry lines.

1. As you say a Human Life (not grass) has begun at conception. IF a brain is your base point then Brain cells are active at week5, for reference thats b4 morning sickness starts thats much earlier than the proposed 12weeks

2. If I grew a third kidney that my body was going to get rid off in a few months id be entirely cool with that

3. (Without trying to trivalise or demonise, for context only) Thousands of Irish people speed every day, should we get rid of speed limits?

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 30, 2018, 06:18:54 PM

A lot of Irish people went to a lot of trouble to have the right to make different laws than England. No doubt you would have us just rejoin the UK.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 30, 2018, 06:53:49 PM
1. As you say a Human Life (not grass) has begun at conception.

That is categorically NOT what he said.

You always seem to struggle with these threads.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2018, 07:03:45 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on January 30, 2018, 06:53:49 PM
1. As you say a Human Life (not grass) has begun at conception.

That is categorically NOT what he said.

You always seem to struggle with these threads.

Its really irrelevant to the overall point he was making but anyway....
He said a  foetus was alive in the same way that grass was alive.... that just aint true, cut a blade of grass and it will grow back as that same blade of grass same DNA everything.
Cut a baby out of a uterus its gone forever no chance of ever fulfilling its life. It was a false analogy.

Let me know what you dont understand and I will be happy to clarify for you.

gallsman

Ok, clarify for me why you stated that he said "a human life has begun at conception" when he clearly didn't?

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on January 30, 2018, 07:58:20 PM
Ok, clarify for me why you stated that he said "a human life has begun at conception" when he clearly didn't?

Why Certainly

I was agreeing with what he said, .... that life was present
Clarifying a misleading point... that it was human life and not grass life
And adding relevant facts ... that the life began at conception

Not sure of the relevance tho, there's certainly none to the point discussed... unless you could enlighten us?

Perhaps tho there is something in particular you disagree with that you wish to discuss? In which case I respectively await your response