Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on January 14, 2019, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 14, 2019, 05:03:36 PM
It's crying out for a leading politician on either side (Tory or Labour) to come up with something like:

Yes, the EU has a lot of problems and a lot of drawbacks, but we're still far better inside it, gaining all the benefits of membership and trying to make changes from within rather than looking in from outside.
If we remain, we'll continue to adopt EU laws we agree with (the vast majority) but opt out of the ones we do not agree with (tax harmonisation, the euro, etc). 

Unfortunately Corbyn is completely idealogically against the EU, despite what EU rules and regulations have done for workers' rights. If the UK had never joined the EU, the firing of workers would likely nearly be as easy in the UK as it is in the US.

... and will be if they leave - it's what Brexit is substantially about. That's why I can't forgive Corbyn's refusal to do his job and work to stop Brexit in the interest of the people he purports to represent.

And this is why I can't understand it.  The only logical reason I can see for doing what he's doing is that he sees a chance to get Labour into power.

He seems willing to let normal citizens pay a hell of a price for it in the medium term.

BennyCake

Quote from: Hardy on January 14, 2019, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 14, 2019, 05:03:36 PM
It's crying out for a leading politician on either side (Tory or Labour) to come up with something like:

Yes, the EU has a lot of problems and a lot of drawbacks, but we're still far better inside it, gaining all the benefits of membership and trying to make changes from within rather than looking in from outside.
If we remain, we'll continue to adopt EU laws we agree with (the vast majority) but opt out of the ones we do not agree with (tax harmonisation, the euro, etc). 

Unfortunately Corbyn is completely idealogically against the EU, despite what EU rules and regulations have done for workers' rights. If the UK had never joined the EU, the firing of workers would likely nearly be as easy in the UK as it is in the US.

... and will be if they leave - it's what Brexit is substantially about. That's why I can't forgive Corbyn's refusal to do his job and work to stop Brexit in the interest of the people he purports to represent.

This whole charade reinforces that all of those involved refuse to do their job - ie. representing their people. They only care about ousting each other and other parties, picking up a big salary and staying in power. That includes DUP, SF, Tories, Labour and any other **** about the place. None of the f**kers give a flying f**k about anyone in any part of Ireland or Britain.

omaghjoe

Theresa is pottering again

omaghjoe

Guy at work has been trying to corner me on Brexit. I let my guard down today and he finally got me....sensible normal guy who Id be fairly firendly with... unfortunately he's badly informed on this but has a very strong opinion on it.

He reckons a hard Brexit is coming and that a Frexit and Gerexit is gonna follow shortly and if it doesnt there will be hell to pay... there will be a European army that will be used to make sure all countries toe the line.

Doesnt understand how the EU benefits anyone and cant see any comparison to the United States. Especially since there is no chance of the American army invading any of the states to put them in place. Wonder would they agree with him in Virgina?

I realised I was in a pointless escapade to inform him better? But anyway I was flabbergasted at the deluded stuff he was coming out with..... pure fantasy. I dont understand where he was even getting the half of it.

But he's not the first another guy who is a bit better informed asked me would it not also be a good idea for Ireland to exit alongside Britain, he got a quick rebuttal about that!

I also dont understand why there is such anti EU sentiment in America. I mean America has closer cultural, economic and political ties with Europe than anywhere else so can't understand how a sensible person would allow such deluded hypothetical scenarios as the basis for their opinion. 

Hound

Seems to be a growing confidence in the hardline Brexiteers that the EU will cave. Leave with "no deal" but an agreement to start negotiating a UK-EU trade agreement with a 2 year (extendable) deadline, and in the meantime it's a "temporary" free trade agreement leaving all UK-EU trade exactly as is. In return, UK gives all the monies it has committed (which it owes anyway!).

EU caving seemed impossible all along as there has to be something to discourage others from following the UK and leaving. But seems the Germans in particular are wavering due to the huge costs to their economy of an actual hard Brexit.

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on January 15, 2019, 08:45:45 AM
Seems to be a growing confidence in the hardline Brexiteers that the EU will cave. Leave with "no deal" but an agreement to start negotiating a UK-EU trade agreement with a 2 year (extendable) deadline, and in the meantime it's a "temporary" free trade agreement leaving all UK-EU trade exactly as is. In return, UK gives all the monies it has committed (which it owes anyway!).

EU caving seemed impossible all along as there has to be something to discourage others from following the UK and leaving. But seems the Germans in particular are wavering due to the huge costs to their economy of an actual hard Brexit.

Crispin Odey would pauperise London for a few extra dollars but he has given up on Brexit

https://www.ft.com/content/cc491f18-15bc-11e9-a581-4ff78404524e

A top hedge fund manager says he is losing faith in the chances of the UK leaving the EU, leaving sterling well placed for a rare but rapid rally.Crispin Odey, founder of Odey Asset Management and a big financial backer of the campaign to leave the union, had been betting against the pound throughout last year, in the expectation that leaving the bloc would hit the UK economy hard.But in the past two weeks he closed those short positions, and is now neutral on the currency, he told the Financial Times. He has also been buying some UK stocks including Dixons, the high street retailer."Markets have already decided essentially that Brexit isn't going to happen," he said. "The pound should rally; it's very oversold."Investors' enthusiasm to pounce on news suggesting the exit from the EU may be softened, delayed, or even scrapped, is clear. On Friday the pound jumped as much as 0.6 per cent to a high of $1.2850 on reports the Cabinet was planning to delay Brexit and after foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt said voting down Theresa May's deal to exit the EU could scupper Brexit altogether.Next week, the prime minister's plan for Brexit will be presented to parliament for approval. Mr Odey is among those who believe it will not pass. Given that three-quarters of MPs voted to stay in the EU in the 2016 referendum, "it's easy to see . . . that you're going to get a Remain result", he said."I haven't given up the Brexit dream. But I don't think the pound will crash down to $1.05," he added. Sterling "has got a positive bias to it".Deal-breakers: how no-deal Tories threaten May's Brexit planAfter spending most of 2018 heading south against the dollar and the euro, sterling has rebounded against the greenback and is roughly flat against the single currency since mid-December. Defeats in the House of Commons for the government have revealed what appears to be a majority of MPs against a no-deal Brexit and limited the government's options.Other market participants agree that any shift to a soft Brexit would kick the pound much higher, particularly given the weight of bets against it that have persisted for the past two years. It would be a "monster" rally, said Gregory Perdon, co-chief investment officer at private bank Arbuthnot Latham.Mr Odey, whose Odey European fund gained 53 per cent last year as one of the world's best-performing hedge funds after losing 21.7 per cent the previous year, said Mrs May's Brexit proposal was "completely out".A so-called Norway Plus option, in which Britain would become part of the European Free Trade Association, is "not bad" but "a long way short" of a full Brexit, he added.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rois

Crispin Odey's comments (made last week) are the reason sterling jumped last week.

BennyCake

Quote from: omaghjoe on January 15, 2019, 06:21:53 AM
Guy at work has been trying to corner me on Brexit. I let my guard down today and he finally got me....sensible normal guy who Id be fairly firendly with... unfortunately he's badly informed on this but has a very strong opinion on it.

He reckons a hard Brexit is coming and that a Frexit and Gerexit is gonna follow shortly and if it doesnt there will be hell to pay... there will be a European army that will be used to make sure all countries toe the line.

Doesnt understand how the EU benefits anyone and cant see any comparison to the United States. Especially since there is no chance of the American army invading any of the states to put them in place. Wonder would they agree with him in Virgina?

I realised I was in a pointless escapade to inform him better? But anyway I was flabbergasted at the deluded stuff he was coming out with..... pure fantasy. I dont understand where he was even getting the half of it.

But he's not the first another guy who is a bit better informed asked me would it not also be a good idea for Ireland to exit alongside Britain, he got a quick rebuttal about that!

I also dont understand why there is such anti EU sentiment in America. I mean America has closer cultural, economic and political ties with Europe than anywhere else so can't understand how a sensible person would allow such deluded hypothetical scenarios as the basis for their opinion.

He was badly informed? That's because everyone is told that the eu is good.

As for European army. Well, Varadkar and co supporting the brits with that Russian poison thing. The same brits that carried out Bloody Sunday, ballymurphy, Shoot to kill policy etc. Covered it up, and still continue to do so. The same brits who are experts at propaganda. And the Irish govt back them, no questions asked?! They add their name, along with lots of other neutral eu countries. Why? Because they're told to.

Then we have Enda Kenny matching arm in arm in Paris with a bunch of warmongers from the rest of Europe (and Israel). You gonna tell me all that is not a precursor for a European army?

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on January 15, 2019, 09:40:24 AM
Crispin Odey's comments (made last week) are the reason sterling jumped last week.
The DUP have lost. The consequences for NI are massive.
Arlene bet the farm on no deal.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

The EU can't "cave" without Ireland "caving". And there can't be a free trade deal or a temporary free trade deal wthout Ireland agreeing.

There has never been a time when the hard Brexiteers have not been "confident". Delusion does that.

Hound

Quote from: sid waddell on January 15, 2019, 12:35:36 PM

The EU can't "cave" without Ireland "caving". And there can't be a free trade deal or a temporary free trade deal wthout Ireland agreeing.

There has never been a time when the hard Brexiteers have not been "confident". Delusion does that.
There's absolutely no chance that Ireland would be the country to halt such a "deal". We need free trade with the UK more than anyone else. So barring a Brexit reversal, the best solution for us is a temporary free trade agreement leaving everything as is for the next 2 years. Pushes the border question back 2 years too at which stage perhaps DUP won't be important to the new UK government

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on January 15, 2019, 10:57:03 AM
Quote from: Rois on January 15, 2019, 09:40:24 AM
The DUP have lost. The consequences for NI are massive.
Arlene bet the farm on no deal.

Seafoid, you're an awful man for the big dramatic statement.

Nobody's lost or won anything with this yet.

sid waddell

Quote from: Hound on January 15, 2019, 01:06:53 PM

There's absolutely no chance that Ireland would be the country to halt such a "deal". We need free trade with the UK more than anyone else. So barring a Brexit reversal, the best solution for us is a temporary free trade agreement leaving everything as is for the next 2 years. Pushes the border question back 2 years too at which stage perhaps DUP won't be important to the new UK government
The Withdrawl Agreement is the temporary deal.

There is no other "temporary deal".

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on January 15, 2019, 01:45:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on January 15, 2019, 01:06:53 PM

The Withdrawl Agreement is the temporary deal.

There is no other "temporary deal".

This seems to be an issue for a lot of people to comprehend.

The withdrawal agreement is the baseline for any future deal with the backstop inbuilt to ensure those twisty English f**kers don't rail back on their word. Wonder why the EU don't trust them  ;)

Any future trade deals will supercede the withdrawal agreement