Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: trailer on January 13, 2019, 04:02:09 PM
Sinn Fein. The only custodians of Irish Republicanism.
No oath to a foreign Queen.
Brits out.
Terrorise your own community.
That's how freedom will be achieved.

No oath to a foreign queen but millions in MP expenses, they've don't mind that bit.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 13, 2019, 08:43:36 PM
Suppose yez never got a single euro from the EU? Who else pays for everything down there?
Well, we just paid off a debt of 50 billion over a period of 6 years or so that was incurred by the banks and other financial institutions and that came out of our own resources.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

playwiththewind1st

Bankrupt theocracy run by gombeen men more like.

Rossfan

I take it you'll be voting to stay in the UK then.
Head of State must be of 1 Religion only
Something like £100 trillion public debt
Scottish oil keeping it from sinking
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossfan

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 13, 2019, 08:43:36 PM
Suppose yez never got a single euro from the EU? Who else pays for everything down there?
Big difference between loans repayable with interest and an annual handout ;)

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rossfan on January 13, 2019, 09:20:54 PM
I take it you'll be voting to stay in the UK then.
Head of State must be of 1 Religion only
Something like £100 trillion public debt
Scottish oil keeping it from sinking

2 pay cuts for our beloved MLAs. Public debt problem wiped out practically overnight.

seafoid

Brexit is dead. May is expected to lose the vote by 200 and Parliament will not allow
No deal to happen. Neither will the EU. The Tories are fucked
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

balladmaker

QuoteBrexit is dead. May is expected to lose the vote by 200 and Parliament will not allow

The only negative I can see ref. Brexit being dead is the fact that it gives the DUP bigots a get out of jail free card .... they'll revert to type now in time for the next election 'It's us or Sinn Fein' .... if Brexit was to happen, either hard or soft, it would have advanced Irish unity by a generation imo, and I would have taken great pleasure watching the DUP squirm.

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on January 13, 2019, 11:30:09 PM
Brexit is dead. May is expected to lose the vote by 200 and Parliament will not allow

So are Labour under Corbyn, who doesn't appear to stand for anything, unless DUP-like it's contrary to the Tories.

Don't ever, ever underestimate the electorate's ability to do something stupid. I've long argued for a meritocracy whereby only educated, literate, gainfully-employed, properly sentient beings are allowed to vote.  ;D ;D

armaghniac

Quote from: balladmaker on January 13, 2019, 11:35:02 PM
QuoteBrexit is dead. May is expected to lose the vote by 200 and Parliament will not allow

The only negative I can see ref. Brexit being dead is the fact that it gives the DUP bigots a get out of jail free card .... they'll revert to type now in time for the next election 'It's us or Sinn Fein' .... if Brexit was to happen, either hard or soft, it would have advanced Irish unity by a generation imo, and I would have taken great pleasure watching the DUP squirm.

A precipitate unity brought about by a chaotic Brexit would not be a good thing. I think it has advanced Irish unity anyway, as a lot of people have started thinking about it. Even if Brexit is cancelled, there is every likelihood of the English continuing to rant about it and of Scotland consequently cutting the link, both of which would keep discussion on unity going here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

I heard an RTE news reporter saying before Christmas "this is what a constitutional crisis looks like" so not sure how this week is gonna play out.

One thing for sure is there government are gonna get a thumping on Tuesday by how much is the question. I doubt it will be the numbers Seafoid is talking but if it gets defeated by over 100 May has gotta be in bother. Her confidence vote will save her within her party and Corbryn's no confidence vote (if he grows a pair) will likely be defeated also unless the ERG go completely rogue which I think is unlikely. But if the margin is over 100 I think she will resign as there is no real prospect for her to pass this brexit legislation.

So lets assume she able to stay on what then?

Im pretty sure she will start to turn her back on the ERG, because to me she is saying to them "This is the closest I could get to your fantastical dystopia, vote for it or you gonna get Norway or perhaps nothing"

So that would mean an Article 50 delay and then what reworking of the deal that the New Labour MPs will vote for with perhaps a referendum thrown in for approval?

Or after Bercows antics last week will Parliament start to take control and will they actually be able to table legislation that would prevent a no-deal? And if they could would the government sit there and take it? Would Corbryn take it? Would they have any choice or would they all just be happy enough as they are just doing what they didn't have the balls to anyway.
And if they did that could they delay Article 50? Renegotiate a new deal or how would that work? I mean a group of backbenchers couldn't really go off and start renegotiating with Brussels could they?

Utter shambles.....
Its terrifying and hilarious at the same time. At a time I would have considered myself fairly ideological politically speaking but with this nonsense,Trump and everything else all I really want is stability.... politically economically and everything else. Can the the sensible pragmatists please stand up, oh sorry I forgot they've got democracy thing to worry about so it pays to be a idealistic, emotional, fantastical lunatic.

Rossfan

What are they going to go back to the EU with?
They spent nearly 2 years negotiating a deal and now won't keep the deal!

Kidder81

Quote from: mouview on January 14, 2019, 12:02:29 AM

So are Labour under Corbyn, who doesn't appear to stand for anything, unless DUP-like it's contrary to the Tories.

Don't ever, ever underestimate the electorate's ability to do something stupid. I've long argued for a meritocracy whereby only educated, literate, gainfully-employed, properly sentient beings are allowed to vote.  ;D ;D

Bit concerning that Corbyn doesent seem to understand the single market and customs union. He really doesent have the first notion

magpie seanie

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 14, 2019, 09:58:52 AM

Bit concerning that Corbyn doesent seem to understand the single market and customs union. He really doesent have the first notion

Bit concerning that people are focused on blaming Corbyn for a problem created by the Tories and completely fucked up by the Tories. Corbyn is clear on how Britain needs to be rebooted. Brexit is actually a side show in many ways because lots of people are already fcuked in Britain. And whether Brexit happens or not that won't change under the Tories. I think Corbyn's understanding on many issues over the years has proven to be spot on when many others were completely wrong. The most important thing Britain needs is a change of government.

sid waddell

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 14, 2019, 12:07:28 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on January 14, 2019, 09:58:52 AM

Bit concerning that people are focused on blaming Corbyn for a problem created by the Tories and completely fucked up by the Tories. Corbyn is clear on how Britain needs to be rebooted. Brexit is actually a side show in many ways because lots of people are already fcuked in Britain. And whether Brexit happens or not that won't change under the Tories. I think Corbyn's understanding on many issues over the years has proven to be spot on when many others were completely wrong. The most important thing Britain needs is a change of government.
The only booting Britain will be getting if Brexit happens is a massive boot up the hole.

Corbyn's Brexit policy is unicorns. There won't be a renegotiation of the deal. A vote of no confidence in the government will not be successful.

The overwhelming majority of those who voted for Corbyn to become Labour leader, his base, are strong Remainers.

Corbyn left the door open for a second referendum to become Labour policy. Unless he bows to the democratic wishes of his party, he will be toast, and rightly so.

There will be no left-wing remaking of Britain outside the European Union. Brexit is a far right project and the millions of ordinary people in Britain are going to be decimated by it.