Laochra Gael Mickey Linden

Started by Mourne Rover, January 28, 2007, 11:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

I'm not doing PR for TG4, but this week's Laochra Gael (Tuesday, Jan 30,9.30pm) is on Mickey Linden. My only concern is that 30 minutes is hardly long enough for a career which began in Down's division four and reached a period as, beyond dispute, the best player in Ireland. Everyone has their favourite Mickey moment, but mine is the run and long-range point which turned the 1991 All Ireland semi final against Kerry. That was a landmark moment for Ulster football, after more than two decades of failure, and seven Sams came north in the next 16 years. I could probably name another 20 or 30 Linden scores of equal quality, and I hope that the programme comes somewhere close to doing him justice.

Cloc Mor

Not before time.  One of the most talented footballers every to come out of the Mourne County.  He led us to two All Irelands with style and pinache.  Mickey is one of the most genuine people you will even meet, someone with no airs or graces.  He played football the way it should be played, with a desire to do his best.  Truly deserved.

Turfsmoke

Its an overused word but he is a real legend. Total class, style, modesty and ability and an absolute gentleman with it. Mickey Linden is one of those people who makes you proud to be a GAA man along side him.

balladmaker

I will never ever forget Linden's goal in the 1991 Ulster Final....not so much the sublime finish, but his turn of pace to get the ball was frightening!

I was sitting in the front row of the old stone seats in Clones, just at pitch level.  I remember watching Linden sprinting  from nowhere to get the ball and stick it in the net.   Ben Johnson wouldn't have caught him that day.

Definitely one of the very best from our era anyway.  Should be a good show.

Great Leap Forward

I probably remember Mickey most for the role he played in the finest game of football I had the pleasuse of being at. The first round match at Celtic park in 94.

That year he was vitually unmarkable.

ross matt

Speaking as a neutral I look forward to this programme nearly as much as a Down fan would. Truly great player to watch and his long career at those high standards was another thing that set him apart.

superblues

had the privilege to have played along side the great man there is nothing to say that has not already been said cant wait to see the show

5 Sams

Like Superblues I had the privilege of playing on the same football field as Mickey but unfortunately I was on the opposing team as him and his brother Peter proceeded to tear us apart at the seams.

As mentioned before he was at his best in 1994 when he got player of the year and played a blinder in the AIF when a procession of Dubs couldnt get to grips with him.

Legend.
The Aristocrat Years

realredhandfan

Lindens was one of those out and out corner forwards who skinned the corner back with pure pace and skill.  the Down team in 94 were built like brick shithouses, they were a tough hard team, but Linden was their bit of fancy stuff. He was a tart of a corner forward, so good to watch and liked to show it all on the big days.

An Cloch Scoilte

Mickey is up their with Down's greats of O'Neill, McAlarney, Paddy Doc and so on!! A true Legend of the game, and as said before an out and out gentleman.

Cloc Mor

QuoteLindens was one of those out and out corner forwards who skinned the corner back with pure pace and skill.  the Down team in 94 were built like brick shithouses, they were a tough hard team, but Linden was their bit of fancy stuff. He was a tart of a corner forward, so good to watch and liked to show it all on the big days.

Not sure if being called 'a tart of a corner forward' is the way Mickey would like to be remembered as a footballer.  I think you are giving him so praise and I suppose coming from a Tyrone man this is a positive comment.  In his prime he was the best of his generation and being selected as player of the year bore this out.  Tart - don't think so though.

realredhandfan

Linden is my favourite corner forward ouside Tyrone... Its all praise.  ffs if Tom Humphries came out with a line like that ye'd be canonising him.  Maybe this board lacks a little creative imagery (Oneill of old)
PS A tart of a corner forward by the way can sometimes be nullified by a nun (giving nothing away here) of a corner back. 

Cloc Mor

rrhf, I thought you were praising him and who wouldn't.  I appreciate that people west of the Bann have a different way of describing things and use of language is different.  Glad we share an admiration of a legend.

realredhandfan

you are right we are a little less rigid Ulster Scottish all right.

Niall Quinn

A legendary footballer and he declared me fit to drive motor vehicles circa 1992 - nice fella all in all!!
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad