Underage squads 2024

Started by beano, March 10, 2024, 10:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: Blueforever on May 23, 2024, 10:36:54 AMWe had no tradition in minor football in the ninenties but we still were able to win 2 and play in a third final with no clatter of all ireland winners involved at any level it can be done but if it's not led properly from the top like any business it cannot suceed

We have no tradition of winning Senior All Irelands where as Offaly have

Offaly and all involved with them have ambitions beyond winning All Irelands at minor and u20 and good luck to them

Laois Rising

It's incredible to see a county the size of Offaly win an u20 football All-Ireland playing some outstanding and free flowing football and now they have a crop of young hurlers coming through that are playing an exciting brand of hurling to watch and have the ability and potential to win the All-Ireland against either Tipp or Cork. Tradition and getting the right people involved plays a huge part and with this Offaly side they have both of those in abundance. Our U20s are a good side and this Offaly team obliterated them by showing greater conviction, confidence, coaching, skill, drive and determination right from the very first minute when they played us. They beat us up in every facet of the game. We could badly do with bottling some of that ourselves. 

Chrimtain

A big problem in Laois is the defeatist attitude we possess. To say we can't succeed because we don't have the tradition is ridículous. Offaly have not always had a tradition of winning All Irelands. In recent years, in football, Armagh, Tyrone and Donegal have won All Irelands for the first time. They didnt let a lack of tradition hold them back.

Blueforever

Tradition my Ar** Im my lifetime I have seen Offaly winning their first football in 1971 and first hurling in 1981 Clare winning in 1998 their second one first one in 1914 they had no tradition behind them but that didn't stop them it's no coincidence that Offaly have won a football under 20 and appeared in a minor and under 20 twice since Duignan became chairman. If the right people are at the top anything is possible but with clowns in charge all your have is a circus

burdizzo

The thing that gets me, is that we have more adult hurlers than Offaly or Carlow. And probably Westmeath, too, but I haven't checked that. But, Offaly are about to pass us out at adult level, and Carlow are currently operating at a higher level than us. I know it's not ALL about numbers (otherwise Dublin would win everything, every year), but it does point to something being wrong, either in our attitude and expectations, or in our standards of coaching. Or, probably both.

Laois man

Offaly are doing things right that u20 team are together years and now it's starting to show with 2 leinster u20 titles in a row. Laois on paper will have a good U20 team next year now is the time to be getting a Proper mangerment team in place to look at lads during all the up coming championships and get a panel together in September/October and start getting prepared for the year ahead.

marty34

Quote from: Blueforever on May 23, 2024, 03:53:47 PMTradition my Ar** Im my lifetime I have seen Offaly winning their first football in 1971 and first hurling in 1981 Clare winning in 1998 their second one first one in 1914 they had no tradition behind them but that didn't stop them it's no coincidence that Offaly have won a football under 20 and appeared in a minor and under 20 twice since Duignan became chairman. If the right people are at the top anything is possible but with clowns in charge all your have is a circus

I think the work was done before MD cam in. He just added to it.

They are a small county, but are in a good location in the midlands.  For both football and especially hurling.

That's a huge help.

clonadmad

Quote from: Blueforever on May 23, 2024, 03:53:47 PMTradition my Ar** Im my lifetime I have seen Offaly winning their first football in 1971 and first hurling in 1981 Clare winning in 1998 their second one first one in 1914 they had no tradition behind them but that didn't stop them it's no coincidence that Offaly have won a football under 20 and appeared in a minor and under 20 twice since Duignan became chairman. If the right people are at the top anything is possible but with clowns in charge all your have is a circus

Laois couldn't organise a combined schools football team this year with 6 months notice

Something that Offaly have been using successfully for the past few years

Hurling in Portlaoise Schools is non existent

Offaly have lads hurling with the county from "football" clubs

Good luck with that happening in laois

The likes of Offaly have people wanting to get involved with development squads

Laois have lads being pressganged into taking on development squads

Apathy is the defining factor in Laois GAA

And it won't ever change

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on May 23, 2024, 05:11:07 PM

I think the work was done before MD cam in. He just added to it.

They are a small county, but are in a good location in the midlands.  For both football and especially hurling.

That's a huge help.

They had to buy their stationery in Sligo their reputation for paying people was that bad pre Duignan

Duignan and the people with him the likes of Carina Carroll Dervil Dolan and Keith Screeney and 50/60 more are all top notch professionals

Quality attracts Quality and also gives People comfort in the knowledge their money will be well spent if it's committed

bluespower

With the recent success our neighbours Offaly are having it might shame the Laois fella's in charge to put in a little effort, time to stop scratching your balls and do something, at least pretend you have a small bit of ambition for the county.

Butch Cassidy

Laois have a good man at the top in Shane Keegan. It's up to the clubs and schools to be feeding players into the underage teams otherwise it doesn't matter who is over them. Clubs should be encouraging volunteers in and then upskilling them as coaches. More GDOs are getting rolled out and more are required and needed to liase more with the schools.

What are numbers like at the clubs at an underage level? What's the standard like?