The Official Euro 2016 Thread

Started by laoislad, May 22, 2016, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: The Stallion on July 10, 2016, 11:06:13 PM
No they don't. Ronaldo is nowhere near as good as Maradona was.

I'm stunned!

I agree completely with The Stallion. ;D

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 10, 2016, 11:50:03 PM
Granted not every team in La Liga are all that hot but Ronaldo has a 1.22 goal per game average. That's f**king astonishing in any era. He may not have the skills of Maradona or Zidane nut he left United and re-tooled himself as a goal - scoring machine. On that basis he sits at the top table.

Ronaldo is an all time great, but he is not even the best of his own era.

And neither him nor Messi dominate a football pitch in the manner of Michael Jordan on a basketball court. Maradona did.

Won a World Cup almost single-handedly (christ, his personal highlights alone from just the 86 World Cup belong on any all time great soccer moments list - off the top of my head, the England goal, the Belgium goal, the pass to Burruchaga to win the final). Took a poor Argentina team to runners-up in 1990. And Ronaldo, the diving fairy, NEVER had to put up with a fraction of the dirt and thuggery that Maradona did on the pitch.

J70

And people often tend to play down or dismiss Pele these days, as relatively few lived through his career and he never left Brazil until late (ignoring that most players back then stayed in their own leagues, meaning there were no super leagues like La Liga or the Premier League or Serie A).

The thing that always sticks out for me, besides the famous examples of outrageous skill e.g. that goal he flicked up over the defender and volleyed home in the 58 World Cup; letting the ball through his legs to dummy and go around the keeper in 1970; the perfectly weighted lay-off to Carlos Alberto, was something I read years ago from Bobby Moore.

This was from some soccer annual I inherited from a cousin when it was already 15-20 years old, but Moore spoke about playing against Pele in that famous game in 1970 when Gordan Banks made the wonder save. He said Pele went to go past him and the ball seemed to richochet off Moore's leg, back into Pele's path. He thought "you jammy b**tard!". It was only after Pele did it another two or three times that Moore realized that Pele was intentionally playing the ball off Moore's legs and feet to get past him! I've never heard before or since of any player anywhere doing anything like that. How good was Pele, that he could do that to Bobby Moore, one of the greatest English center backs ever?

And also, Zagallo, the Brazil manager in 1970, talked about his value to the team by basically saying: "if you ask me who my best forward is, I'd have to say Pele; if you ask me who my best midfielder is, I'd have to say Pele; if you ask me who my best defender is, I'd have to say Pele; if you ask me who my best goalkeeper is, I'd probably have to say Pele".

That is about a player in what is widely recognized as the greatest international side ever assembled.

What does that say about how good a player was?

Eamonnca1

Syferus

Pretty sure Ronnie was thinking 'take that you Argententian dwarf' at the final whistle. Some story.

mikehunt

Quote from: thebigfella on July 10, 2016, 11:14:10 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on July 10, 2016, 10:59:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2016, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: mikehungt on July 10, 2016, 10:33:16 PM
Great team performance by Portugal. Wouldn't have happened with Ronaldo on the pitch.

Ok mystic meg

France thought they just had to show up.... Portugal have played crap bar one game and to be honest haven't really been troubled at the back...

Ronaldo has achieved a serious amount of trophies in his career, only one missing from all the main ones about
Goal scorer would not have come on if Ronaldo stayed on. Ronaldo doing a John Terry.

Ronaldo did start the game and was captain?
If Terry and Ronaldo had played the full match their team's would probably have lost .

laoislad

Quote from: Syferus on July 11, 2016, 07:25:08 AM
Pretty sure Ronnie was thinking 'take that you Argententian dwarf' at the final whistle. Some story.
I really doubt he was.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Applesisapples

I don't really like Ronaldo but I wouldn't begrudge him or Portugal this victory. As for Messi the so called rivalry is more a product of the press.

thebigfella

Quote from: mikehunt on July 11, 2016, 08:52:00 AM
Great team performance by Portugal. Wouldn't have happened with Ronaldo on the pitch.

Ok mystic meg

France thought they just had to show up.... Portugal have played crap bar one game and to be honest haven't really been troubled at the back...

Ronaldo has achieved a serious amount of trophies in his career, only one missing from all the main ones about
Goal scorer would not have come on if Ronaldo stayed on. Ronaldo doing a John Terry.

If Terry and Ronaldo had played the full match their team's would probably have lost .

You do understand Terry was banned for the champions league final and could not play  ::)

Billys Boots

I think Ronaldo was moved to humility at the end when he saw that his team had played better without him ..... not! 

Had you going there for a minute, eh?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

mikehunt

Quote from: thebigfella on July 11, 2016, 09:13:36 AM

Ok mystic meg

You do understand Terry was banned for the champions league final and could not play  ::)
My point is that Captain Fantastic for Portugal and Chelsea may not be as fantastic as they think they are.  In fact, their respective teams were better off without them. Both were oblivious to this as they went to lift a trophy that, had they played the full match would have been won by the opposition.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mikehunt on July 11, 2016, 10:12:51 AM

Ok mystic meg

My point is that Captain Fantastic for Portugal and Chelsea may not be as fantastic as they think they are.  In fact, their respective teams were better off without them. Both were oblivious to this as they went to lift a trophy that, had they played the full match would have been won by the opposition.
That is just conjecture on your part, you cannot say that would have been the case.

NAG1

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 11, 2016, 10:42:29 AM

Ok mystic meg

That is just conjecture on your part, you cannot say that would have been the case.

Would Ronaldo play on every team in the Euro's? Course he would

Fair play to him and to Portugal, they dug in after he went off and played together. Also to be fair to CR was good to see him actually try to play on after the knock he got.

thebigfella

Ok mystic meg

Errrrr Ronaldo is in the best "European player" in the world end of story. He would be the first player on the team sheet for every team in the Euros.