BLOODY SUNDAY IN CROKE PARK

Started by reiteoir, November 21, 2006, 11:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reiteoir

Just want to remind people that on the 21st November 1920, 86 years ago today, the British smashed their way into Croke Park and brutally murdered innocent Irish civilians in Croke Park for no other reason than to satisfy their blood lust after their secret service was wiped out.Also remembering Michael Hogan from Tipperary who was shot dead on the pitch.

cville

Don't mean to be flippant, but you talk as if it happened yesterday .... ! Also, you forgot to add "may Ireland's dead rise up and curse the Sassenach hoardes and never let those garrison games in Croker" .... Look forward boy ... not back!

reiteoir

I do look forward, but in order to go forward we need to remember where we have come from.

cville

dubnut

cville, events like this are worth remembering.
He clearly said 86 years ago today so I dont see how he talked like it was yesterday!
Would you say "look forward, not back!"  to the British when they celebrate D Day?
Or to Jews remembering the holocaust?

Remembering the past is a vital part of moving forward without repeating past mistakes.

Dont give me this media led "look forward not back" buzzword crap.
It seems to be a taboo subject these days to say anything the Brits ever did was wrong.
(see the uproar over "the wind that shakes the barley")
while its ok to call the heroes from 1916 terrorists!
Cop on, think for yourself not what the Sun tells you to think.

tayto

Uproar over shakey barley? What uproar? ....  :P

reiteoir

Not about cliches. Do you think that we should airbrush the murder of Irish civilians from the past. Well, if you are happy to do that then thats up to you. However, in my opinion, its worth remembering those who died in our struggle for freedom - thats not a cliche - its a fact. I know that you blueshirts feel uncomfortable with that but facts are facts

Hardy

cville

Cville is no blueshirt - by the way the terrace in Clones is named after O' Duffy .... - just been there, saw that, bought the tee-shirt etc.. living in Belfast have heard it all before etc etc.. Brave man Hogan but what should we do? Remember him of course ... lot of water under the bridge since that day .... Just hate this 'Johnny come lately' attitude to martyrdom in the south... take a look over the border and you'll see plenty of GAA victims of the modern Black and Tans...

brokencrossbar1

You just shot down you're own argument lad. 

dubnut

The sad thing is I did agree that the day was worth noting, then the "blueshirt" crap comes out  ::)

Lets not let it take from remembering a historic day.

Incidentally Cville, how far into the past are we allowed remember?

cville

cville, events like this are worth remembering.
He clearly said 86 years ago today so I dont see how he talked like it was yesterday!
Would you say "look forward, not back!"  to the British when they celebrate D Day?
Or to Jews remembering the holocaust?

Now it's okay to emulate the Brits etc..?

dubnut

Cville, dont be so thick. They remember their dead from times of war, as most countries do.
I wouldnt begrudge them remembering the dead from WW2!

My point is, surely we are entitled to do the same without this "move forward" buzzword crap.
I'll ask again, how far back should we be allowed remember without you telling us we live in the past?

cville

Is this a clichefest? Now then the next thing you will be telling me is that history is a thing of the past ... go as far back as you wish .. I blame Stronbow personally .. is that irrelevant? .. Just a point .. how many neo nationalists down south would have heard of Michael Hogan if it was not for that awful Liam Neeson film? Blueshirt off!

dubnut

Cville, thats the worst reponse ever, what cliches were in my post?

Any comment of cliches are rich coming from a guy whos first post says "look forward not back"

Just to clarify, please advise what your exact point is rather than your previous rambling arguments.