Good article detailing Dublin's unfair funding advantage

Started by TheMaster, February 13, 2019, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: priceyreilly on February 17, 2019, 06:38:27 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on February 17, 2019, 06:29:26 PM
You've been caught out here before you fikn clown with you different user accounts posting sh1te. Point proven indeed!

Untrue! In fact, that was a Dub copying all my posts.  ;D Another example of attack the poster and not the post. As I've said, it's all you have left. There's no argument against the doping. It's a cold, hard fact.

If People were as focused on working for the betterment of their own counties as they are in finding fault with dublin's approach then the GAA would be a better place. Unfortunately it's easier to be a hurler on the ditch and cry/moan/complain about the big bad dubs. All  that anger and bitterness in posts like yours just isn't healthy. Life and sport is for living and enjoying. If you can't enjoy the dubs playing football compared to some of what goes for modern football today then that's a bigger problem for you

priceyreilly

Quote from: dublin7 on February 17, 2019, 08:08:41 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on February 17, 2019, 06:38:27 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on February 17, 2019, 06:29:26 PM
You've been caught out here before you fikn clown with you different user accounts posting sh1te. Point proven indeed!

Untrue! In fact, that was a Dub copying all my posts.  ;D Another example of attack the poster and not the post. As I've said, it's all you have left. There's no argument against the doping. It's a cold, hard fact.

If People were as focused on working for the betterment of their own counties as they are in finding fault with dublin's approach then the GAA would be a better place. Unfortunately it's easier to be a hurler on the ditch and cry/moan/complain about the big bad dubs. All  that anger and bitterness in posts like yours just isn't healthy. Life and sport is for living and enjoying. If you can't enjoy the dubs playing football compared to some of what goes for modern football today then that's a bigger problem for you

;D You went for the "it's not our fault you're sh1t" one. The truth is, Gaelic football was in a much better place prior to the Dublin doping. It was wide open. Not just the All Ireland, the Leinster championship too. Here's the Dublin county boards accounts from 2016: file:///C:/Users/DELL/Downloads/Annual%20Accounts%202016.pdf

You can see there what kind of figures we're talking about. Pay particular attention to the Strategic Review Committee figures. 2.5 million in 2015, 2.7 million in 2016.

dublin7

Once again it's all about the big bad dubs blah, blah, blah. Have you ever put together a medium or long term policy plan for your club/county and applied for funding???

Anyone can cut and paste figures and post abuse using the anonymity on the internet. Why not do something constructive with your time for your club/county instead of constantly criticising people in Dublin for doing that

priceyreilly

Quote from: dublin7 on February 17, 2019, 08:40:51 PM
Once again it's all about the big bad dubs blah, blah, blah. Have you ever put together a medium or long term policy plan for your club/county and applied for funding???

Anyone can cut and paste figures and post abuse using the anonymity on the internet. Why not do something constructive with your time for your club/county instead of constantly criticising people in Dublin for doing that

As expected, you have nothing to say on the actual facts put in front of you. Posting facts is not posting abuse! Let's have a look at some more facts and see where the money is coming from.

Since 2005, Dublin GAA have been receiving a state grant of 1 million per year. That's one million from the pockets of all citizens each year. Granted by Bertie Ahern of course. This is before we add on the money given from the GAA and the Leinster Council which bumps it up to the figure of 2.7 million we have seen on the Dublin County Board accounts. As of this year, Dublin GAA will have received 14 million euro from citizens. To put that into perspective, that's 7 times more than the next county has received in total funding!

manfromdelmonte

Multiple counties and clubs have tried. You must think every county and club outside of Dublin is inept? Most counties struggle to break even every season. In fact, a very successful season can put a county in the red due to extended team costs.

Can you accept that the AI football championship was far more open before the Dublin funding brought through so many top class players?

And in particular the Leinster championship.
8 in a row? Doesn't it get boring?
Even Louth got to the final in 2010 and should have won it.
In the 2000s almost every county in Leinster got to a final, bar Carlow, Kilkenny and Wicklow.
Most counties had an aspiration to win it.
Not anymore.

dublin7

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 17, 2019, 09:38:04 PM

Multiple counties and clubs have tried. You must think every county and club outside of Dublin is inept? Most counties struggle to break even every season. In fact, a very successful season can put a county in the red due to extended team costs.

Can you accept that the AI football championship was far more open before the Dublin funding brought through so many top class players?

In the 2000s almost every county in Leinster got to a final, bar Carlow, Kilkenny and Wicklow.
Not anymore.

I accept Dublin had a plan, implemented it and are now reaping the awards. I look at other counties for example Cork and Galway. One focused on building a stadium they didn't need and couldn't do that right and the other got audited for extremely questionable financial behaviour I won't expand on for legal reasons.

But sure give Louth & Leitrim loads of money because clearly that's the only reason Dublin are successful.

It's typical Irish begrudgery. Instead of emulating successful people, teams companies etc we look on jealously at their success and hope for their failure so we rejoice in it.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: dublin7 on February 17, 2019, 10:26:19 PM

Not anymore.

I accept Dublin had a plan, implemented it and are now reaping the awards. I look at other counties for example Cork and Galway. One focused on building a stadium they didn't need and couldn't do that right and the other got audited for extremely questionable financial behaviour I won't expand on for legal reasons.

But sure give Louth & Leitrim loads of money because clearly that's the only reason Dublin are successful.

It's typical Irish begrudgery. Instead of emulating successful people, teams companies etc we look on jealously at their success and hope for their failure so we rejoice in it.
When are Dublin going to.build a stadium capable of holding their supporters?
Galway got audited, and the audit was instigated by?? The Galway county board itself.

Where did the funding come from for Dublins development and coaching plan? It didn't fall from the sky.
Why has their funding been ringfenced?
It's completely unfair that a club in Dublin only has to finance 50% of a full time coach just because they are located in Dublin.and have a bar and social club and plenty of locals who drink in the place.
And if a club in a large urban area outside of Dublin want to hire a full time coach they must find 100% of the coach.
Do you not see the unfairness and unbalancing it has done to the association's ethos and ideals?

JoG2

Not anymore.

[/b]

I'm sorry man, but that's not right. Most on here (except for those Trump loving hallions on the US thread) are GAA folk. Most are exasperated by what's playing out before their eyes. Their beloved championship has become farcicle (how the other  Leinster counties must feel watching the Leinster Championship draw, only they will know) . Many lash out, but its definitely not begrudgery. Dublin have many many advantages, of that there's no doubt, but the financial bit can and has to be addressed. Watching Dublin win again this year will be absolutely zero /anti  craic.

dublin7

Quote from: JoG2 on February 17, 2019, 10:46:07 PM

Not anymore.

[/b]

I'm sorry man, but that's not right. Most on here (except for those Trump loving hallions on the US thread) are GAA folk. Most are exasperated by what's playing out before their eyes. Their beloved championship has become farcicle (how the other  Leinster counties must feel watching the Leinster Championship draw, only they will know) . Many lash out, but its definitely not begrudgery. Dublin have many many advantages, of that there's no doubt, but the financial bit can and has to be addressed. Watching Dublin win again this year will be absolutely zero /anti  craic.

Championship has always been lobsided. I don't care what decade you look up Wicklow/Carlow were never Leinster or All Ireland contenders. Its more pronounced now because counties like Meath have fallen so far back.

There's a reason the league is so enjoyable. It follows a simple policy adopted by sports all over the world that gets teams of similar standards to compete against each other.

Corks "plan" to compete within 5 years is laughable and not worth the paper its written on. How much funding should Cork get to find their Corkness?? They can't even keep track of the costs to build their white elephant of a stadium, but sure throw money at it so the dubs don't get it instead

In Ireland alot of GAA people are hypocrites. They complain about Dublin domination, but when sensible ideas such as tiered championship is suggested they demand the right to get hammered by Dublin for example rather than compete with teams of similar standards. Crazy stuff.

priceyreilly

Quote from: dublin7 on February 17, 2019, 11:03:04 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 17, 2019, 10:46:07 PM

Not anymore.

[/b]

Championship has always been lobsided. I don't care what decade you look up Wicklow/Carlow were never Leinster or All Ireland contenders. Its more pronounced now because counties like Meath have fallen so far back.

There's a reason the league is so enjoyable. It follows a simple policy adopted by sports all over the world that gets teams of similar standards to compete against each other.

Corks "plan" to compete within 5 years is laughable and not worth the paper its written on. How much funding should Cork get to find their Corkness?? They can't even keep track of the costs to build their white elephant of a stadium, but sure throw money at it so the dubs don't get it instead

In Ireland alot of GAA people are hypocrites. They complain about Dublin domination, but when sensible ideas such as tiered championship is suggested they demand the right to get hammered by Dublin for example rather than compete with teams of similar standards. Crazy stuff.

I know you won't like this because I'm going to provide you with some facts but you're just going to have to deal with it. The Dublin doping began in 2005, before that Westmeath won the Leinster championship, Laois the year before. Kildare, Meath and Offaly were winning all within the previous decade. That's 6 competitive counties in Leinster, Wexford and Longford improved afterwards. It was a highly competitive province. The Dublin doping killed it!
Dublin got their stadium built using all of our money as well. And why should other counties be punished because Dublin have doped? No one else went against the ethos of the GAA. Only Dublin. So instead of tiered championship, Dublin should be split. Let's make the game fair and equitable. Give every county the opportunity to succeed. Give them appropriate funding. It's obvious Dublin GAA and fans don't want fairness so it's up to the rest of us to push it.

dublin7

Westmeath have only won 1 Leinster title in their history.
Laois have won 6 and Kildare have won 23. Kildare won in 1998 and 2000, but you have to back to the 50s for their next one. Big bad dubs weren't dominating for 50 years.

In terms of stadiums the dubs are actually a good example for county boards. Uild smaller ground that wil be full for games rather than huge stadiums that are totally unnecessary. Munster alone has 40k seater stadiums in Limerick, Thurles and now Cork. That's madness. If they're lucky they'll be full once maybe twice a year.

I'd like to see dubs build  20k ground in association with the IRFU so they could groundshare with Leinster and for once the taxpayers in this country could get value for money for large  state investment in a capital sports project. Unfortunately the dinosaurs who are in charge of GAA and attend congress will never agree to this. You only look at the outrage over "getting bullied" into allowing a charity soccer match in PuC this year (only time it was full) and the hassle trying to allow soccer/rugby in croke park on a temporary basis.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: dublin7 on February 18, 2019, 07:03:59 AM
Laois have won 6 and Kildare have won 23. Kildare won in 1998 and 2000, but you have to back to the 50s for their next one. Big bad dubs weren't dominating for 50 years.

In terms of stadiums the dubs are actually a good example for county boards. Uild smaller ground that wil be full for games rather than huge stadiums that are totally unnecessary. Munster alone has 40k seater stadiums in Limerick, Thurles and now Cork. That's madness. If they're lucky they'll be full once maybe twice a year.

I'd like to see dubs build  20k ground in association with the IRFU so they could groundshare with Leinster and for once the taxpayers in this country could get value for money for large  state investment in a capital sports project. Unfortunately the dinosaurs who are in charge of GAA and attend congress will never agree to this. You only look at the outrage over "getting bullied" into allowing a charity soccer match in PuC this year (only time it was full) and the hassle trying to allow soccer/rugby in croke park on a temporary basis.
Some good points there . Back around the time the Gah allowed rugby and soccer interests to use Croke Park, there were some serious discussions between the Croke and Aviva heads to discuss sharing stadia. It seems the Landsdowne Road folks were looking for Croker for Six Nations and other games where there was likely to be a crowd in excess of what Aviva was going to hold. The GAA would then use the Aviva where a crowd less than 50% of Croke Park's capacity was anticipated.
I was surprised to learn that Croke Park was losing money any time it  opened and there was less than 30,000 in attendance. Obviously negotiations broke down somewhere along the line as nothing more has been heard about this since then. There wasn't a lot of publicity about the plan either but it was carried briefly in a few newspapers.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

johnnycool

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 18, 2019, 11:43:15 AM

Some good points there . Back around the time the Gah allowed rugby and soccer interests to use Croke Park, there were some serious discussions between the Croke and Aviva heads to discuss sharing stadia. It seems the Landsdowne Road folks were looking for Croker for Six Nations and other games where there was likely to be a crowd in excess of what Aviva was going to hold. The GAA would then use the Aviva where a crowd less than 50% of Croke Park's capacity was anticipated.
I was surprised to learn that Croke Park was losing money any time it  opened and there was less than 30,000 in attendance. Obviously negotiations broke down somewhere along the line as nothing more has been heard about this since then. There wasn't a lot of publicity about the plan either but it was carried briefly in a few newspapers.

Aviva pitch is probably only big enough for an U14 hurling game.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 18, 2019, 11:43:15 AM

I was surprised to learn that Croke Park was losing money any time it  opened and there was less than 30,000 in attendance. Obviously negotiations broke down somewhere along the line as nothing more has been heard about this since then. There wasn't a lot of publicity about the plan either but carries briefly in a few newspapers.

Sounds like a bit of a tale! Aviva Pitch would be far too small for Gaelic Games!

dublin7

Minimum size for a GAA pitch is 30m bigger than a rugby pitch. However this does not include the in goal areas behin each goal which are a minimium of 10m deep so that's an additional 5m at either end Aviva would require.

In terms of width they would need another 5m on each sideline to meet GAA requirements. In reality even if the Aviva could accomadte a GAA pitch (which they probably could) it's a non-runner as if the idea of moving games was suggested to GAA congress the majority of older members would vote it out before it even got a chance to be discussed even though it would benefit all the organisations and supporters in the long run.