Author Topic: Derry Club football and Hurling  (Read 7614635 times)

JoG2

• View Profile
Re: Derry Club football and Hurling
« Reply #57795 on: July 18, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
here, knock yourself out, 100% on the moanometer so far

TheImpactCode

• View Profile
« Reply #57796 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:50 AM »
Wee Pete
Mal O'Rourke
Johnny McBride
Damian McErlain
Mickey Moran
Liam Baker
Paddy Crozier
Aidan O'Rourke

Who are clubs going to nominate ??

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #57797 on: July 18, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
Who in the list has said they are keen to give it a rattle though?

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #57798 on: July 18, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
Less than 72 hours after Derry were eliminated from this year's All Ireland Senior football championship by Mayo,  the Derry County Board announced that they were seeking nominations from clubs for  the appointment of a new football manager. At the time I thought their  curt statement in this regard showed undue haste at best and total insensitivity  to the outgoing management at worst.

If they are  serious   in continuing to expedite this whole process they would have, by now, sent out nomination papers to clubs with a definite deadline for final submissions. I think it is imperative that a new management is in place as soon as possible so that proper preparations and consultations amongst all GAA stakeholders in the County can take place forthwith.If this were done and all "missing"players were to  return then  we can all look forward hopefully to   more successful days.
Does any poster know if the CB have sent out those nomination papers yet? If they have that is fine.If not,you would have to question the integrity of their statement  in the immediate aftermath of the Mayo game.To complicate matters further  it would not surprise me if several clubs would nominate the outgoing management team.

Dub000737

• View Profile
« Reply #57799 on: July 18, 2017, 01:18:08 PM »
No papers at our club yet. I agree that the new management should be there to see the club championship.

Dub000737

• View Profile
« Reply #57800 on: July 18, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
Up at the club there. Word is no manager until October at the earliest

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #57801 on: July 18, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
Our friend Dub 000737 has just been told that the appointment of a new Senior County football manager will not take "place  until October at the earliest." I sincerely hope and expect that this information is wrong because traditionally Derry make these appointments at the September meeting of the County Board.That was the case with the last three managers, John Brennan,Brian McIver and Damian Barton.

Furthermore it would not make sense to decide not to reappoint the last manager  three days after his last match in charge and then wait three months before making a new appointment.

I realise of course that much thought should be put into  the new appointment  and that there are possible logistical obstacles in making an early appointment ( eg the preferred choice could still be actively employed presently in another club or another county role and that normal rules of procedural diplomacy should apply though that was not the case after the Mayo game).

However surely stage one of the process of giving clubs a nomination deadline could be undertaken immediately.As was said earlier it would be ideal if new management could be in place for most of the club championship games.

After three outstanding Minor sides for the last three years everything must  be done by all relevant parties to ensure that our underage talent achieves its full potential at Senior inter county level.

Mac hinery

• Vintage Mac Hinery
    • View Profile
« Reply #57802 on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:13 PM »
Not sure if Mac Hinery is still kicking about, but he should change this thread to Moaners Anonymous

PS: Dub80085, you're full of sh1t, there was nowhere near 150 Derry men in Castlebar !

still here JoG2 but i believe in liberty, democracy, freedom of speech and Wrangler jeans so I'll not give the moaning bitches a piece of the thread title

Dub000737

• View Profile
« Reply #57803 on: July 18, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
I presume Pete McGrath was told a lot of the players that didn't make themselves available for selection in 2017 won't in 2018 either? or Maybe he has eyes on the Derry job? I hope he didn't resign to get it because it is already ea deal that the minor manager is going to get it for a 6 year term to get Derry into the super eight competition by 2023 and he will be allowed to bring his managing team with him.

Real Talk

• View Profile
« Reply #57804 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »
I presume Pete McGrath was told a lot of the players that didn't make themselves available for selection in 2017 won't in 2018 either? or Maybe he has eyes on the Derry job? I hope he didn't resign to get it because it is already ea deal that the minor manager is going to get it for a 6 year term to get Derry into the super eight competition by 2023 and he will be allowed to bring his managing team with him.
And what financial arrangements will be put in place to sustain that ?

Damian McErlean and his back room team are more likely to be interested in the 2018 Under 20 County Management role

shawshank

• View Profile
« Reply #57805 on: July 19, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »

Mc Erlain is not near ready for this level, no senior experience what so ever. Harte before he became tyrone managar has won at minor and u21, but in my eyes, equally important had won at senior club level as well where he had to deal with adults who had adult issues. If Mc Erlain was appointed he would be up the swannie. He needs to bide his time. As I have said we have a host of talent from 23 and below, getting a capable person is very important, and lets be honest, he will have no support from the clubs nor supporters bar a few hundred.

Derry Optimist

• View Profile
« Reply #57806 on: July 19, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »
Hopefully the 2018 Derry Senior football manager will have the following  three major selectorial problems to deal with next year!!!

(1) Imagine trying to pick  six defenders from the following.

N Keenan,B Rogers,D McBride,K McKaigue,C Nevin,M McEvoy,L McGoldrick,C McKaigue,Sean L McGoldrick,K Johnston,C McGrogan, C McWilliams, N Forrester,O Duffin, G Mc Kinless, C Kielt,C McFaul.

(2) Try selecting  two midfielders from the following.

C McAtamney,Emmett Bradley,P Cassidy,N Holly and A McLaughlin.

(3) Pick six forwards from the following.

D Heavron,C McFaul,E Lynn,N Toner,T O'Brien,N Loughlin,B Heron,R  Bell,M Lynch, J Kielt,C Bradley,D Tallon,E McGuckin,D McKinless.C O'Boyle,S McGuigan and A McLaughlin

I am sure that I have left out many obvious choices but any one who follows Derry football would appreciate that the County's chances of future success would increase immeasurably if all of the above and more were available to the new Manager.I did not put in our top three goalkeepers as I am not sure who should join Ben McKinless who I think is our best option.

N.B.Because of their versatility I have placed C McFaul and A McLaughlin in two different positions.The same tactic could be used with several other players particularly in the modern style of playing.

Dub000737

• View Profile
« Reply #57807 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
I think you can forget these ones
McBride always injured
McGoldrick hissy fit
McGoldrick hissy fit
Johnston busy at work
McKinless USA next summer
Bradley always injured
Cassidy USA next summer
Holly hissy fit
Toner always injured
O'Brien enigma
O'Boyle hissy fit

Wildweasel74

• View Profile
« Reply #57808 on: July 19, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
Them lads not at usa this summer?

restorepride

• View Profile
« Reply #57809 on: July 19, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »
I think you can forget these ones
McBride always injured
McGoldrick hissy fit
McGoldrick hissy fit
Johnston busy at work
McKinless USA next summer
Bradley always injured
Cassidy USA next summer
Holly hissy fit
Toner always injured
O'Brien enigma
O'Boyle hissy fit
Given Sean Leo's commitment over the years, I think "hissy fit" is both inaccurate and unfair.