The North American / Canada GAA and Hurling thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 18, 2007, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyronePhilly

Aye, sore heads would be understandable.
I would say the vocal chords and the livers are also sore.
Where did you boys head to afterwards?

Missed your gala last year because of work...I won't be missing this year's.

PM me......I need to ask you something.

Carmen Stateside

NY Senior A Final  Sunday 28th September

Kerry v Down   4pm

Senior B Final

Four Province v Cavan  2 pm

spiritof91and94

Is O'Hagan still playing for Down? Is their anyone else over?

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 24, 2008, 11:26:36 AM
Is O'Hagan still playing for Down? Is their anyone else over?

O Hagan is starring at full back!
Down lads over are, Packie Downey,Benny Mc Ardle,Kevin Anderson, Micheal Sloan and David Mc Greevey.
And from Antrim they have Micheal Turley.  Paddy Cunningham played early in the year but returned home.

gortnaleck

new devil

TYRONE GFC CLUB NEW YORK

Hosts a night of champions

special guests appearances by
                                                                                                                      MICKEY HART,BRIAN DOOHER
                                                                                                       Minor captain RONAN MCNABB & MARTIN RODGERS

Along with the Sam Maguire and Tom Markham cups

On sat13th December
                                                                                                                                       At
                                                                                                                                   Masteors
                                                                                                                       1703 Bronxdale ave.Bronx

Music by:Gerry Finlay & the Cara band

Cocktail hour 7-8pm
                                                                                                                       Dinner  & dancing 8-1am

$1000 per table of ten
                                                                                                                     (limited amount of tickets)

Should be a great night..anyone interested drop me a PM for more details

youngfella

Ive being thinking of going to the USA over the summer. Are there many hurling clubs inthe USA ?? I'd need them to set me up bit of work too. what clubs out there can you recommend?
Ta
Pull hard and early

The Iceman

you would be hard pressed for any club to set you up with work and somewhere to stay these days - unless you are county standard and I dont mean Fermanagh you haven't a chance.  Your best bet is Boston - maybe the Shamrocks in Philadelphia but I know two county standard hurlers from armagh who tried last year and they wouldn't bring them over.  Unless you have the talent of the likes of Declan Coulter you might have to go over on your own steam.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: youngfella on December 14, 2008, 09:33:00 PM
Ive being thinking of going to the USA over the summer. Are there many hurling clubs inthe USA ?? I'd need them to set me up bit of work too. what clubs out there can you recommend?
Ta

Try this    http://www.nagaa.org/clubs/allClubs.php

Like Iceman stated, its tougher now to get a job on a whole especially in the trades.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gabriel_Hurl

DJGaliv

Does anyone have any contact details for football teams in Vancouver, Canada? Looking to go over there for the summer. Have accommodation and flights for myself, just hoping for some advice about going over really.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: DJGaliv on March 30, 2009, 02:09:26 PM
Does anyone have any contact details for football teams in Vancouver, Canada? Looking to go over there for the summer. Have accommodation and flights for myself, just hoping for some advice about going over really.

http://www.isscvancouver.com - tell John O'Flynn I sent ya

Superstar

Sorry to hijack youre thread lads, but here goes:

Hi there folks,

With the championship just around the corner, from now on in you will see various fantasy football competitions springing up, myself and a few other memebrs of our club have taken it upon ourselves to run a competition of our own as a fundraiser. Hopefully we will get alot of interest in it, weve kept the entry fee reasonably low, its a pretty straight forward competition, all the rules, scoring chart, and player lists ect can be found on our website, so why not have a nosey at it. I hope when you are deciding upon which of the competitions available to enter you will give us a thought, we may not have a flashy website with all the graphics, but in entering this competition, you will be supporting one of youre very own clubs. If you have any queries about the competition you can email me at clannnabanna@hotmail.co.uk

To view the competition just log on to clannnabanna.down.gaa.ie and click on the competitions link

Many thanks, i hope we can look forward to youre support.
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

Carmen Stateside

Today sees the start of the New York Senior Championship
Favourites for the title will be Cork who gained the services of several London based players over the winter.  Last years beaten Finalists Down will also be hotly fancied and the return of their main scoring threat last year Packie Downey will help.
For most teams it is too early in the year to tell as alot of the summer sanctions havent arrived but in the next few weeks it should become clearer how teams like Tyrone Kerry and Donegal are shaping up.

First up today
Cavan vs Kerry
Sligo vs Four Province (Philadelpia)

Carmen Stateside

NY Senior championship
Tyrone 3-6 Donegal 1-11

Tyrone made the most of three goals to defeat Donegal in a robust senior football encounter last Sunday.

Despite a 12 score output to nine for the winners, Donegal will rue the soft goal that was given to Tyrone at the opening of the game. They battled hard throughout, but after they had tied the contest, they were overtaken in the last five minutes by a brace of points by Tyrone.

Donegal had two goal chances to open the game, and they made full use of the second. John McGinley stopped Anton Toner on the first after a nice three-player move, but the keeper was helpless in the second minute when Conor Brosnan latched on to a C.J. Molloy pass and drove it into the net.

It was a short held lead, however, as Tyrone punished a defensive slip with a goal by John Murtagh. Donegal settled and took the rebuttal in stride and had the next two points of the game through Brosnan again and Tom Hardwick, an excellent score.

A point in reply by Murtagh from a free that scrapped its way over was quickly cancelled out by Kevin Lilly, and with 15 minutes gone Donegal had a 1-3 to 1-1 lead.

The ugly side of the game reared its head in the moments thereafter, and when the dust had settled it was a surprise that the sides still had 14 each on the field.

It began when Molloy found the floor, and a large melee started. While the county under-21 would certainly have had valid reason to retaliate, he was subject to further abuse.

Now Donegal were not entirely innocent, but when calm was restored in round one Molloy and Conor 'The Bull' McNabb both had straight reds.

Within moments round two began, full-fledged shots were given and taken but the game resumed with all still on the field. It had in fact been just as intense as the first round.

Most certainly one player should have gone as the shots he landed could be seen from 70 yards away; he remained, however.

Donegal came out of the donnybrook far livelier. They had three of the next four points as Tyrone were punished by four balls coming out of their defense, but going straight into Donegal hands.

Aiden Downes, Niall Bradley and Sean Carr all had timely interceptions and worked the ball out effectively. Bobby McDonald had a goal chance, but he blasted wide on the run from a very capable position and it allowed Tyrone to stay within earshot.

Tyrone have a history this year of taking advantage when they are behind. It was no different on this occasion.

With the clock ticking down another glorious chance came their way, and again the defense was in the giving mood. Darren Petit grasped the ball on the left wing and found Garth McCrory. The poacher made no mistake as he found net seconds before the buzzer arrived.

Tyrone followed the goal with a point to open the second half from Eamonn Lyons. It arrived, however, after Donegal had lost Hardwick to an injury when he landed hard on the throw in. We wish him well.

After Gary Dowd cancelled the score out with his first of the game, again Tyrone used the net shaker as a way to take the lead. They worked the ball out from the back, with the repositioned Petit winning the ball in the middle of the field and firing to Conor Downey in the corner. His long ball to the square was met first time by Brendan Moran, the lone Tyrone player in four, and his touch found the net.

For the next 10 minutes it was a case of hot potato as both sides kicked the ball back and forth to each other. It was a game literally between the two 21s as both sides moved the ball 50 yards before the final ball let them down.

A Downey point from the right corner broke the ice on 18 minutes, but it preceded an intense period of Donegal pressure that resulted with three points on the board and the game tied up.

Lilly had a pair from frees as he took the team on his shoulders for a period. Tyrone responded, however, and they had points from Murtagh and Conor Skeffington. His was a brilliant score from deep in the left corner. It may have been a cross but certainly looked a great score.

It moved them back into a 3-6 to 1-10 lead, and despite a wonderful John McNicholas free Donegal could not get any closer.

John McGinley made an important save for Tyrone in the first minute, and his kick outs were a great way to relieve danger. Gerard McCullough, Steve Keating and Joe Bell were the best of the defenders; Eamonn Lyons the most dominant of all the midfielders. His point was a good one.

John Murtagh showed a lot of his Crossmaglen promise, while Darren Petit continues to come alive—1-2 from the bench was a huge help.

Aiden Downes was terrific for Donegal. Eoin McNeill, James Huvane, Bobby McDonald all had contributions. John McNicholas and Lilly had some very good scores.