Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: lurganblue on April 30, 2020, 03:49:20 PM
Thanks folks.  Running wouldn't be completely alien to me, it's just been a while.  But yes, flexibility in general is an issue.  I will get working on that over the next week.  A bit of foam rolling and some heel drops off the stairs once the pain eases a little more.
Foam rolling not essential , more about perception of soreness rather than doing anything structural to the tissue....if you enjoy it, fire away the evidence says but if you don't , it's ok to not do it.
I'd avoid heel drops at this stage ...rather go for long sustained holds...ie , edge of step...raise up onto ball of foot and hold that elevation statically for 45-60 seconds x 5 times during the day. Tolerable level of discomfort is ok while doing exercise but should resolve quickly ...if pain escalates, dial back the time of the elevation of calf raise.
Need to be able to hop x 20 times painfree before attempt run....and then , be conservative with distance and intensity when you return...primary cause of running injury is doing too much too soon. Any questions throw us a pm

BennyCake

Which foam roller is best? The smooth one or the ones with bumps?

I'd need it for glutes, calves etc and to loosen up the back now and again.

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on May 03, 2020, 02:41:40 PM

Have you looked at the backballer? Supposed to be good, though I have never tried one.

https://backballer.com/product/exercise-foam-roller/
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on May 03, 2020, 03:23:35 PM

Have you looked at the backballer? Supposed to be good, though I have never tried one.

Load of bollox . Waste of money!

Helix.

Quote from: ballinaman on May 03, 2020, 11:14:14 PM

Are the massage guns any use or a waste of money for likes of muscle tightness from running. Back doing runs after knee surgery almost a year post op. Any advice appreciated!

Milltown Row2

Got myself a pair of Brooks running shoes today, looking to break them properly tomorrow!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

FermGael

What type ? Was looking at the ghost ones
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

BennyCake

Have seen them before. Was looking was something portable though.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Helix. on May 03, 2020, 11:27:24 PM

Are the massage guns any use or a waste of money for likes of muscle tightness from running. Back doing runs after knee surgery almost a year post op. Any advice appreciated!

Massage Guns are a good job alright - obviously don't get the ones at 200 or 300. There are non brand alternatives on Amazon for 50-80.

Not much use for the back though unless you've a willing helper, or extremely long arms.

lurganblue

Quote from: ballinaman on May 03, 2020, 08:03:52 AM
Thanks folks.  Running wouldn't be completely alien to me, it's just been a while.  But yes, flexibility in general is an issue.  I will get working on that over the next week.  A bit of foam rolling and some heel drops off the stairs once the pain eases a little more.
Foam rolling not essential , more about perception of soreness rather than doing anything structural to the tissue....if you enjoy it, fire away the evidence says but if you don't , it's ok to not do it.
I'd avoid heel drops at this stage ...rather go for long sustained holds...ie , edge of step...raise up onto ball of foot and hold that elevation statically for 45-60 seconds x 5 times during the day. Tolerable level of discomfort is ok while doing exercise but should resolve quickly ...if pain escalates, dial back the time of the elevation of calf raise.
Need to be able to hop x 20 times painfree before attempt run....and then , be conservative with distance and intensity when you return...primary cause of running injury is doing too much too soon. Any questions throw us a pm

Cheers. I'm now pain free walking and heel drops ok too. I'll try holding up for 45-60 seconds. Then do some hops before I try a run. Dying to get back at it.

While I'm here, what way do you guys approach warming up, stretching etc before a run. Would yous do a bit in the house before setting off or would you jog a little then stop to do stretches etc before actually commencing your timed run?

ballinaman

Quote from: Helix. on May 03, 2020, 11:27:24 PM

Ya, complete bullshit. Avoid . Placebo at best and I'd even class it as a nocebo, because people feel they need it and actually become less resilient .

ballinaman

Quote from: lurganblue on May 04, 2020, 12:41:03 PM

Cheers. I'm now pain free walking and heel drops ok too. I'll try holding up for 45-60 seconds. Then do some hops before I try a run. Dying to get back at it.

While I'm here, what way do you guys approach warming up, stretching etc before a run. Would yous do a bit in the house before setting off or would you jog a little then stop to do stretches etc before actually commencing your timed run?
Evidence thin regarding benefits of stretching , personal preference really . Personally I just put on the runners and out the door with first mile , half mile easy jog. I'd do some strides before a track session.
1 session of strength training a week though , dead lifts ..squats , calf raises with weight added etc ...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: ballinaman on May 04, 2020, 01:14:50 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 04, 2020, 12:41:03 PM

Evidence thin regarding benefits of stretching , personal preference really . Personally I just put on the runners and out the door with first mile , half mile easy jog. I'd do some strides before a track session.
1 session of strength training a week though , dead lifts ..squats , calf raises with weight added etc ...
Some bodyweight dynamic stretching can be good but different approaches work for different people
A good warm up is high knees for 20 secs, bum kicks for 10 and repeat a few times, some step overs, open the hips, roll the feet to toes
Static stretching has always benefited me as a recovery tool between training sessions and as a warm down

No1

I would just add that you should take onboard any advice ballinaman is giving. Quite simply the man knows what he is talking about and in the past has been a massive help to me. He sorted some long term issues I had with straightforward advice and simple instructions that 3 or 4 expensive physios before him couldn't.  That's all!!

I still owe you a few pints BM, I haven't forgotten!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on May 04, 2020, 11:33:10 PM
I would just add that you should take onboard any advice ballinaman is giving. Quite simply the man knows what he is talking about and in the past has been a massive help to me. He sorted some long term issues I had with straightforward advice and simple instructions that 3 or 4 expensive physios before him couldn't.  That's all!!

I still owe you a few pints BM, I haven't forgotten!

+1
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea