David Clifford protection

Started by Kingdom37, January 25, 2020, 11:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 10, 2020, 09:55:47 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 10, 2020, 09:10:50 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 09, 2020, 10:53:32 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2020, 10:35:53 PM
I don't get the "key player isn't going to be the instigator" we're hearing from Whelan. Yeah, somebody might be getting at him but that doesn't give him licence to step outside the rules of the game. Also, if a ref sees two players wrestling, it would not be right for him to decide who probably started it.

We haven't yet seen how that particular incident started btw.

I agree, the ref went with his umpires though, forwards can be cute hoors also, conning a ref is standard. From the footage I'd have black carded the Tyrone lad. I don't do the two yellows card thing, unless it's actually two yellows!

You've instigators and retaliatory fouls which will result in yellows or worse. But I'll generally dismiss second yellows or hop balls even.

Is there other footage going around? On the footage I've seen none of it showed who started it. They both stumble into screen with fists full of each others shirts.  So if you, as a ref turned around and saw the two guys wrestling you'd just book one? ref can only act on what he saw or the Umpires tell him.

I can only call what I see, if the umpires see something different then you consult them, again you don't have to go with their call and they can't tell you its a yellow card offence, they can only tell you what happened, but as I said on the footage that we all seen, the Tyrone lad looked like he wrestled him to the ground, black card offence. grabbing shirts is not an offence, whoever pulled who to the ground takes the card
If that's the correct interpretation of the rules then I don't know what to say. They were both wrestling, but because Clifford hit the ground it's a black card? Maybe I've been away from playing the game too long but that seems nonsense to me.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Taylor

This problem has existed for a long time - the only reason it is getting more airtime is because it was Clifford but hopefully this will mean it is stamped out.

While the issue occurs and referees punish both lads teams will take advantage of it. Why wouldnt they?

To me it was clear as day what we had done - it isnt right but if it going to benefit the team why wouldnt we?

All of the top teams use the current implementation of the rules to their advantage

bigpackiechestout

It's a bit disingenuous to say that the forward or 'star player' would never instigate these type of off the ball tussles. Loads of times through the years I have heard people encouraging forwards who are being closely marked to start a wrestling match which will result in the forward and defender being booked, and the defender subsequently has to take a slight step off.

This doesn't apply to the Clifford case yesterday as he was already on a yellow, but my point is the referee shouldn't just automatically assume that the defender always instigates this stuff

TheGreatest

A masterful exhibition of the dark arts. It worked. Good tough game that.

timmyot501

Ref should have gone over, spoke to the two of them.  Said cop on and play away.  Was there much in it really??  Didn't warrent a man getting the line anyway.  Get the umpires then to keep a better eye on them for the following 5 mins and if it continues then there can be no complaints

What was Cliffords first yellow for anyway?

Taylor

Quote from: timmyot501 on February 10, 2020, 10:48:47 AM
Ref should have gone over, spoke to the two of them.  Said cop on and play away.  Was there much in it really?? Didn't warrent a man getting the line anyway.  Get the umpires then to keep a better eye on them for the following 5 mins and if it continues then there can be no complaints

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the decision you cannot decide not to book a player because he is already on a yellow.

five points

Verbals to the ref apparently.

five points

Quote from: Taylor on February 10, 2020, 10:56:53 AM
Ref should have gone over, spoke to the two of them.  Said cop on and play away.  Was there much in it really?? Didn't warrent a man getting the line anyway.  Get the umpires then to keep a better eye on them for the following 5 mins and if it continues then there can be no complaints

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of the decision you cannot decide not to book a player because he is already on a yellow.

In theory. But it happens all the time.

Main Street

Ref should have gone over, spoke to the two of them.  Said cop on and play away.  Was there much in it really??  Didn't warrent a man getting the line anyway.  Get the umpires then to keep a better eye on them for the following 5 mins and if it continues then there can be no complaints

The ref gave him the yc after he highlighted just how long the Tyrone goalie was taking with his kicks. And Clifford is the captain, but perhaps they need an older head as captain. One who isn't surprised that a ref can be a total gobshíte.

lenny

The Tyrone player wrestles him to the ground, pushes his hand hard into his face/neck pushing it into the ground. All the while Clifford has his arms out wide. It's a black card for the Tyrone man or at least a yellow. Nothing for Clifford .

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: lenny on February 10, 2020, 12:08:16 PM

The Tyrone player wrestles him to the ground, pushes his hand hard into his face/neck pushing it into the ground. All the while Clifford has his arms out wide. It's a black card for the Tyrone man or at least a yellow. Nothing for Clifford .
But you are basing this just on what is shown on camera.
On that basis then Peter Harte shouldnt have been sent off either  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

trueblue1234

Quote from: lenny on February 10, 2020, 12:08:16 PM

2 to go.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

greatpoint

Where is the footage that people are basing their defence of Clifford on? They only video of the incident that I have seen does not show how the incident started. If Peter Harte can get sent off in similar circumstances and manage not to shout in the faces of the officials then why should things be different for David Clifford?

WT4E

Will Clifford get extra ban for threatening umpires? Probably lack of experience but will learn from this - dont get involved!

rodney trotter

Declan Bogue was speaking to Shane Stapleton on his podcast, Bogue was at the game and said it was started by the Tyrone player. He said it was a ridiculous second yellow for  Clifford.