Derry vs Tipperary, Breffini Park, Sarurday 23rd July 5pm, Live on Sky

Started by quiganmaster, July 18, 2016, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOptimist

Quote from: southderryman on July 24, 2016, 10:49:59 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2016, 10:39:03 AM
I think there was harsh frees on both sides to be honest, but yes Tipp seemed to get a lot of them close to goals. I suppose that could also have been a product of Tipp running direct at Derry. There'll be collisions/tackles then, and that will also give the ref a chance to give a soft free.

A by product of that style, which was not seen so far all year, was how strict he was on the overcarrying. I'm sure Tipp thought they had another couple of frees but ened up been blown up for over carrying. Probably correctly in fairness.

The Sweeney incident with the goalkeeper was bizarre, and could have been a right cluster f**k. Instead of playing advantage when Sweeney recovered the ball after the brilliant work by the goalie, he gave a free because he thought the goalie touched it on the ground. When he realised he didn't he had to throw the ball in. Luckily for him, or probably *because* he missed the advantage, he gave Tipp a soft free in to score anyway.

Fair enough comment. And I wouldn't dispute that tipp got a lot of frees by running at us. I've seen it a million times before and we simply can't cope with it it. No question plenty of them were frees. But it was very frustrating the times our defence and done well to stop runners and pushed men out that he gave frees for next to nothing.

It's the nature of the free count that galls me more than anything. I really don't think a team merited 3 times as many frees as another. Really wasn't that type of game.

The last example you state I agree with entirely, but because he made the wrong call to begin with he shouldn't give a free just for a sake of it. Shows up how bad a ref he is.

On another note, and I'm prepared to be corrected on this....if a free is taken too short, is it not a hop ball?

Im pretty sure its a free the other way. I remember the semi final in 2001 we were caught out with at an important time of a game. Such a stupid rule, as it robs the advantage from the team that was fouled, and most refs let it go.

TheOptimist

I think there was harsh frees on both sides to be honest, but yes Tipp seemed to get a lot of them close to goals. I suppose that could also have been a product of Tipp running direct at Derry. There'll be collisions/tackles then, and that will also give the ref a chance to give a soft free.

A by product of that style, which was not seen so far all year, was how strict he was on the overcarrying. I'm sure Tipp thought they had another couple of frees but ened up been blown up for over carrying. Probably correctly in fairness.

The Sweeney incident with the goalkeeper was bizarre, and could have been a right cluster f**k. Instead of playing advantage when Sweeney recovered the ball after the brilliant work by the goalie, he gave a free because he thought the goalie touched it on the ground. When he realised he didn't he had to throw the ball in. Luckily for him, or probably *because* he missed the advantage, he gave Tipp a soft free in to score anyway.

He blew up for overcarrying 8 times, yet missed the 8 steps for Tipps goal. I was the far end of the pitch and called it from there.

Maroon Manc

I thought he took a lot more than 8 steps for the goal and as Duffy had been blowing all day for over carrying I was surprised he let it go.

There were plenty of odd decisions in the match but the other 2 that stood out were when he didn't award Tipp a pen at thend of the first half when Austin clearly had his jersey pulled and then when the Derry keeper touched the ball on the ground when he gave the hop ball. Both defences struggles when ran at but Tipp certainly did more running at Derry hence why the free count was higher.

Tipp deserved their win, they showed great character in the last few minutes but Heavron was the best player on the pitch and should have been mentioned by The Sunday Game. He was outstanding and kept taking the game to Tipp.

skeog

marty is great at the spotting the full back pulling the full forward from distance races up the pitch like a greyhound, he also measures the distance conleth gilligan was the beneficiary one day in ballybofey when he scored a wonderful point from out the sideline from a free given by marty for the ball not travelling far enough

southderryman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 25, 2016, 02:50:53 PM
I thought he took a lot more than 8 steps for the goal and as Duffy had been blowing all day for over carrying I was surprised he let it go.

There were plenty of odd decisions in the match but the other 2 that stood out were when he didn't award Tipp a pen at thend of the first half when Austin clearly had his jersey pulled and then when the Derry keeper touched the ball on the ground when he gave the hop ball. Both defences struggles when ran at but Tipp certainly did more running at Derry hence why the free count was higher.

Tipp deserved their win, they showed great character in the last few minutes but Heavron was the best player on the pitch and should have been mentioned by The Sunday Game. He was outstanding and kept taking the game to Tipp.

Definitely took a lot of steps, he blew men up for a lot less

Thought that was a penalty and wad surprised when he pulled it back for a free, but mallon didn't touch the ball on the ground. He hopped the ball because he made an arse of the original decision

I agree tipp did more running, but a 3:1 free ratio was ridiculous imo

Danny had a great game. Felt very sorry for him afterwards,he looked devastated

southderryman

Quote from: TheOptimist on July 25, 2016, 11:06:21 AM
Quote from: southderryman on July 24, 2016, 10:49:59 AM

Fair enough comment. And I wouldn't dispute that tipp got a lot of frees by running at us. I've seen it a million times before and we simply can't cope with it it. No question plenty of them were frees. But it was very frustrating the times our defence and done well to stop runners and pushed men out that he gave frees for next to nothing.

It's the nature of the free count that galls me more than anything. I really don't think a team merited 3 times as many frees as another. Really wasn't that type of game.

The last example you state I agree with entirely, but because he made the wrong call to begin with he shouldn't give a free just for a sake of it. Shows up how bad a ref he is.

On another note, and I'm prepared to be corrected on this....if a free is taken too short, is it not a hop ball?

Im pretty sure its a free the other way. I remember the semi final in 2001 we were caught out with at an important time of a game. Such a stupid rule, as it robs the advantage from the team that was fouled, and most refs let it go.

Maybe it is, I just always thought it was a hop ball. Either way, it was an incredibly silly thing for the players to do and directly cost us 2 points

Remember  that alright, was it Gilligan and Niblock? That was a painful day

Mrs mills

I do feel that the Derry senior team did make progress this year in terms of attacking and scoring, though this has come at the expense of an effective, miserly defensive system. It is extremely difficult to successfully engage the two at the one time; a very easy thing to discuss but a huge task to complete.
In order for a team to become adept at attacking, while also being noted for its unyielding defence the manager has a lot of big calls to make. He must be prepared to discard those players without genuine pace and the ability to sustain that pace. To work as a unit, moving forward swiftly and covering back equally quickly in sufficient numbers, there can be no room for the talented but ultimately lazy/tired/slower player. Another big call for the manager is to identify those who are prepared to sacrifice the game they play at club level, for the one demanded on a much bigger stage. Such players are not in plentiful supply.
When it comes to backroom staff, the manager must also be ready to add to his team, regardless of how a present incumbent feels about his role being compromised. If the proven needs of a county team (eg a more watertight defensive system) cannot be delivered by coaches who will 'give it a go', then it's time for them to put their hands up and ask for help from a known and recognised defensive coordinator (be he from within the county or without).
Loyalty, be it to players or to management, is laudable; but it remains 'the elephant in the room' if the manager thinks....I know change is needed, but I can't be disloyal.
If he values loyalty above necessity, then he must settle for mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Gold

Just seeing this.  Couldn't believe some of the frees Tipp got.

Weaker teams need to win by fair means or else what's the point ?

Ref was awful
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

lenny

Quote from: Mrs mills on July 27, 2016, 12:26:08 AM
I do feel that the Derry senior team did make progress this year in terms of attacking and scoring, though this has come at the expense of an effective, miserly defensive system. It is extremely difficult to successfully engage the two at the one time; a very easy thing to discuss but a huge task to complete.
In order for a team to become adept at attacking, while also being noted for its unyielding defence the manager has a lot of big calls to make. He must be prepared to discard those players without genuine pace and the ability to sustain that pace. To work as a unit, moving forward swiftly and covering back equally quickly in sufficient numbers, there can be no room for the talented but ultimately lazy/tired/slower player. Another big call for the manager is to identify those who are prepared to sacrifice the game they play at club level, for the one demanded on a much bigger stage. Such players are not in plentiful supply.
When it comes to backroom staff, the manager must also be ready to add to his team, regardless of how a present incumbent feels about his role being compromised. If the proven needs of a county team (eg a more watertight defensive system) cannot be delivered by coaches who will 'give it a go', then it's time for them to put their hands up and ask for help from a known and recognised defensive coordinator (be he from within the county or without).
Loyalty, be it to players or to management, is laudable; but it remains 'the elephant in the room' if the manager thinks....I know change is needed, but I can't be disloyal.
If he values loyalty above necessity, then he must settle for mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Thoroughly sensible post.

southderryman

Quote from: Gold on July 27, 2016, 12:46:57 AM

Ref was awful
Ref was poor alright but I think you're being disrespectful there.

What makes tipp a "weaker" team than Derry?

They've made great strides at underage level....done a hell of a lot more in that regard than we have. They have some very good footballers and are missing a few others.

They also beat cork....would we beat cork in championship football? Would we have faired any better against kerry than they did?

We're what I would call a second level team, and Tipp aren't much different.

Being honest about it, tipp played some very good football on Saturday and were the better team, we almost nicked it with that late scoring burst.

Yes it horrible to lose by a point when we were 2 up after 70mins and the ref gave them some very soft frees but being honest I'd have to say they deserved it.

tippabu

Quote from: southderryman on July 27, 2016, 08:41:24 AM
Quote from: Gold on July 27, 2016, 12:46:57 AM

Ref was awful

They've made great strides at underage level....done a hell of a lot more in that regard than we have. They have some very good footballers and are missing a few others.

They also beat cork....would we beat cork in championship football? Would we have faired any better against kerry than they did?

Being honest about it, tipp played some very good football on Saturday and were the better team, we almost nicked it with that late scoring burst.

Yes it horrible to lose by a point when we were 2 up after 70mins and the ref gave them some very soft frees but being honest I'd have to say they deserved it.

Will agree 100% we got some very soft frees, dont think it was the winning/losing of the game though. Duffy made a very big mistake when he thought derry keery touched the ball on the ground and blew up even though sweeney had the ball in his hands, also some of the overcarrying calls against us you would have gotten away with too other days. Over on premierview its duffys circus he is reffered to now....we can all agree hes not the best. We have certainly felt on munster over the years us "minnows" dont get anywhere near the rub of the green, some refs just dont want to be upsetting the superpowers affecting their chances at getting the big games. We can probably all agree this was near enough the game of the year so far, not that thats much consolation at this stage

Keane

Quote from: southderryman on July 27, 2016, 08:41:24 AM

A very good assessment I think