GAA stars need new hips by their mid-20s

Started by seafoid, July 24, 2016, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

A good point on ever changing physios. These change with every new mgt team. Lack of injury records per player is Suprising though. 

twohands!!!

Quote from: snoopdog on July 24, 2016, 11:45:51 AM
A good point on ever changing physios. These change with every new mgt team. Lack of injury records per player is Suprising though.

I have a notion that I read somewhere about some county that were tracking all players who were involved at any intercounty level in terms of injuries, training (number of sessions) and any other sports (it covered underage and development squads)

Can't remember who it was or where though. Hardly the most difficult thing in the world for each county board to keep track of.

Either last year or the year before I remember thinking that the number of lads in their 20s I'd heard of having hip operations was ridiculously high. Odd thing is that I haven't heard of any in the last few months.

Over the Bar

If you've been to Jamaica or the Caribbean Islands you'll have seen hundreds of people in their 70s, 80s and even 90s as supple as cats. Lots of scientific studies have put it down to using Coconut oil in their everyday diet.  Not only is it healthy for the heart and other organs (unlike most veg oils) but it lubricates the joints too. 

ballinaman

Horrendous article, basically a sales pitch from Carton. Evidence exists and more is due to be published in BJSM that athletes are no better or WORSE post this type of hip surgery longterm.
A lot of counties have every player from u-16 upwards on a database which tracks loads, injuries ect from this year onwards, medical teams will have access to player injury histories as they move through age grades.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 26, 2016, 12:00:44 AM
If you've been to Jamaica or the Caribbean Islands you'll have seen hundreds of people in their 70s, 80s and even 90s as supple as cats. Lots of scientific studies have put it down to using Coconut oil in their everyday diet.  Not only is it healthy for the heart and other organs (unlike most veg oils) but it lubricates the joints too.
societies where people sit down less - Japan, China, Africa people tend to have much healthier joints and remain supple