Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I dunno - I have seen things suggesting that delays and uncertainty are crippling business. I think some businesses would rather it was got on with even if they don't favour the outcome as the uncertainty is crippling them.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2019, 12:15:30 PM
I dunno - I have seen things suggesting that delays and uncertainty are crippling business. I think some businesses would rather it was got on with even if they don't favour the outcome as the uncertainty is crippling them.

No way man!

This decision will have profound effects for 50+ years.

Take the time to get it right.

[BTW - those arguing for leaving and then negotiating from WTO terms are idiots beneath contempt - if they are worried about taking "no deal" off the table as weakening their negotiating hand - how will negotiating with the economy dying by the hour under WTO tariffs be better?]
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

There are businesses on this island which will become unviable in 10 days if there is no deal. You might be uncertain as to when they were going to hang you, but that is not necessarily a reason to want to advance the date, especially as there may be a reprieve.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

I'm only repeating what I have seen some say. Particularly businesses heavily reliant on the import of goods from EU countries. I'm not saying I agree.

Mike Tyson

Would agree with this - how can the likes of a small business forecast over the next year with the uncertainty over tariffs etc?

Uncertainty is bad for the majority of businesses and a lot of them are just looking for a plan to move forward. I'm not advocating no deal or suggesting most business owners are, however if they were told "No deal is happening" they can at least set out a solid plan of what they are going to do.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 19, 2019, 02:23:59 PM
however if they were told "No deal is happening" they can at least set out a solid plan of what they are going to do.

Agree on planning - however a week and a half is not enough time.

A year and a half *may* be enough time - with foreknowledge and certainty that a no-deal exit is exactly what is happening.

i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 19, 2019, 04:30:00 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 19, 2019, 02:23:59 PM
however if they were told "No deal is happening" they can at least set out a solid plan of what they are going to do.

Agree on planning - however a week and a half is not enough time.

A year and a half *may* be enough time - with foreknowledge and certainty that a no-deal exit is exactly what is happening.

Yeah that's pretty much it. At least May's Deal (which is pretty shit) gives a transition period. It's the No Deal which would be catastrophic. I actually heard Owen Patterson call it Structured WTO withdrawal or some other bullshit term. Trying to make no deal sound organised. Like saying conscious voiding of anal rectum into polyester. It's still shitting your pants.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: mouview on March 19, 2019, 12:06:52 PM
Almost by default there's going to be a delay now, how long for, we'll know more after EU summit meeting later in the week. Based on that, May might have another go at her agreement (MV3) next week, claiming that something has materially changed to it. If *that's* defeated, then it's anyone's guess. Probably a longer delay, maybe hold EU elections, maybe a GE, perhaps even MV4. As I've said previously, anything that delays it for as long as possible is a good thing.

Don't you just love Bercow? A Remainer, he's refused to be cowed by any side, and is playing strictly by the rules. Almost certainly he'll be knifed in the back if Brexit is ever sorted out, and may not get a seat in the House of Lords which Speakers usually receive. It doesn't bother him a whit. That Brexiteer utter numpty Andrea Leadsom hates him.

He's played a blinder here. Top drawer. He's the most sensible man in the house, and he may go down in history as one of the agents of Brexit's downfall.

bennydorano

BBC News - Brexit: Theresa May vows not to delay departure beyond June
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

Seems another box yourself in move to me, it increases the chances of no-deal and of Article 50 being revoked altogether at the same time.

johnnycool

Tory Laura Kuenssberg tweeting;

Implication of what PM saying v forcefully is that she might resign if Parliament or the EU forces delay beyond end of June

No bad thing in my mind.

I think this will require the UK to have a General Election to sort out but realistically I don't think either the Tories or Labour want one just yet irrespective of how much Corbyn says he wants one as the Labour heartlands are all pro Brexit and he is probably too, but won't come out and say as much.

The Tories have a similar issue in the home counties which are either remain or slightly leave,,,,

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on March 20, 2019, 01:20:56 PM
BBC News - Brexit: Theresa May vows not to delay departure beyond June
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

Seems another box yourself in move to me, it increases the chances of no-deal and of Article 50 being revoked altogether at the same time.

It certainly looks that way unless there is a dramatic shift in direction such as a general election, May resigning or an attempt to get cross party support. Nothing is impossible in the current climate.

It's rather ironic that if May had not called a snap general election 2 years ago and been handicapped by the DUP, this whole process could have been sorted a long time ago with a border down the Irish sea and it would given the hard Brexiteers a much closer version of the Brexit that they fantasise of. I wonder how long after this process has been resolved, will English mainstream parties begin questioning the role of the DUP in preventing such an outcome.   

LCohen

BBC reporting that France will veto the 3 month and indeed any extention. Bloody hell if true

If that's the case it's down to back May, crash out or revoke. May survived the first one possibly but is destroyed by the other 2

yellowcard

Quote from: LCohen on March 20, 2019, 02:50:43 PM
BBC reporting that France will veto the 3 month and indeed any extention. Bloody hell if true

If that's the case it's down to back May, crash out or revoke. May survived the first one possibly but is destroyed by the other 2

I don't know why this is of any great surprise, she has not given any indication as to what the exceptional reason for the extension actually is. It looks like the intention is simply to wind the clock down further and to shift the blame if no deal happens. Knowing the Brexiteer's the French will probably get it in the neck now. 

May has asked for 3 months to try and get a deal over the line that has failed twice already. It is time she either stood up to ERG, looked for cross party support or simply resign her position. She is still putting party unity before the national interest of the UK. 

seafoid

Tusk just now

Extension provided the HoC votes for the Withdrawal agreement
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on March 20, 2019, 04:11:29 PM
Tusk just now

Extension provided the HoC votes for the Withdrawal agreement

Only if the deal is passed before next Friday. Which again make chances of a no deal increase, EU have effectively issued the House of Commons an ultimatum. Back May's deal next week or crash out. She has called a press conference at Downing Street for this evening. Perhaps she will offer to resign or call an election.