Ulster Club JFC/IFC 2019

Started by DownFanatic, September 30, 2019, 11:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Clubs in Cavan fine about it. They were division 2 is right this year. It's very rare the above happens but if they lost junior final they would have been a junior  club next year in division 1. Sure league and championship are two seperate competitions.

marty34

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 20, 2019, 11:19:40 PM
Clubs in Cavan fine about it. They were division 2 is right this year. It's very rare the above happens but if they lost junior final they would have been a junior  club next year in division 1. Sure league and championship are two seperate competitions.

So in 2020, they'll be in Div. 1 league team and when that league starts, they could be All Ireland Jnr. Champions.

How does that work out? 

mrdeeds

Quote from: marty34 on October 20, 2019, 11:36:45 PM

So in 2020, they'll be in Div. 1 league team and when that league starts, they could be All Ireland Jnr. Champions.

How does that work out?

Because they are two different competitions. Promotion and relegation are seperate for both.

Hedgehunter

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 21, 2019, 08:08:50 AM

How does that work out?

Because they are two different competitions. Promotion and relegation are seperate for both.

How does one get relegated to junior then?

DownFanatic

Ulster JFC

Preliminary Round - 13/10/19
St Patrick's, Lisburn (Antrim) 1-06 v Collegeland (Armagh) 0-13

Quarter Finals - 19/10/19 and 20/10/19

Buncrana (Donegal) 1-14 v Collegeland (Armagh) 0-09
Glack (Derry) 0-06 v Rock (Tyrone) 2-15
Blackhill (Monaghan) 1-16 v Maguiresbridge (Fermanagh) 0-09
Killinkere (Cavan) 1-15 v Bright (Down) 1-10

Ulster IFC

Preliminary Round - 19/10/19

Grange (Armagh) 1-05 v Galbally (Tyrone) 0-16

Quarter Finals - 2/11/19 and 3/11/19

Kinawley (Fermanagh) v Glenn (Down)
Magheracloone (Monaghan) v Foreglen (Derry)
Aldergrove (Antrim) v St Naul's (Donegal)
Laragh United (Cavan) v Galbally (Tyrone)

marty34

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 21, 2019, 08:08:50 AM

How does that work out?

That's an odd set up in my opinion.

So in league, you could be playing at a higher standard on a regular basis, then go into a chsmpionship game against a team who are 1 league above or below you?

As an aside, heard recently that Gearoid Mc Kernian is going to Cavan Gaels - they seem to hoover up some amount of players from other clubs.

nrico2006

Is there not a few counties still set up like Cavan?  I think Donegal still is and I remember the Antrim Hurling Championship being that way not too long ago either.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

rodney trotter

It's not that odd at all.  And they would get relegated to Junior by being Relegated from Intermediate Championship.
Killenkere reached Intermediate final in 2016 but struggled in 2017 Championship and relegated to Junior

Look at the Inter County scene. There is 4 divisions In league, and  in championip a Division 4 team could play a Division 1 team in a Provincial championship game

Yet people cry about disregarding the weaker counties

general_lee

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 21, 2019, 09:51:32 AM
It's not that odd at all.  And they would get relegated to Junior by being Relegated from Intermediate Championship.
Killenkere reached Intermediate final in 2016 but struggled in 2017 Championship and relegated to Junior

Look at the Inter County scene. There is 4 divisions In league, and  in championip a Division 4 team could play a Division 1 team in a Provincial championship game

This is club football. It becomes odd when counties with differing "interpretations" of what constitutes a junior club meet each other in club competition. Kerry are the prime example. They have Division 1 clubs play junior and intermediate all the time

oakleaflad

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 21, 2019, 09:51:32 AM

Genuinely curious as to how this happens. Is it just 1 club relegated each year? Is there a playoff between all losers of the first round or something like that?

five points

Quote from: general_lee on October 21, 2019, 10:04:55 AM
It becomes odd when counties with differing "interpretations" of what constitutes a junior club meet each other in club competition. Kerry are the prime example. They have Division 1 clubs play junior and intermediate all the time

This makes the All Ireland Intermediates and Juniors a farce, in my opinion.

rodney trotter

Yeah 1 Club. They go into a play off against other 3 clubs who were beaten. The Cavan Championship isn't knock out like most other Ulster Counties. Group stages with teams who didn't advance going into relegation

In 2017 3 clubs went Down as the Cavan Club championship was lob sided, with too many teams in Senior and Intermediate. The aim wss of Clubs doing better in Ulster Club

DownFanatic

As far as I am aware all counties have the right to decide how many teams they want in their respective championships and how these championships operate. It makes for serious inequalities across the board. Some counties have absolutely no correlation between their leagues and championships either.
My own county Down have a very honest system whereby league standings determine your gradings. It means clubs that are of proper intermediate and junior standard are playing in their proper championship.

five points

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 21, 2019, 11:18:52 AM
My own county Down have a very honest system whereby league standings determine your gradings. It means clubs that are of proper intermediate and junior standard are playing in their proper championship.

Do Down clubs agree to play league matches without county players?

general_lee

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 21, 2019, 11:18:52 AM
As far as I am aware all counties have the right to decide how many teams they want in their respective championships and how these championships operate. It makes for serious inequalities across the board. Some counties have absolutely no correlation between their leagues and championships either.
Armagh is the same, although previously under the old set up we have had Division 1 teams complete at intermediate and a division 2 team compete at junior. Now we have three leagues that correspond with the three respective  championship grades. Never in a million years could I see a team be considered good enough to play Crossmaglen in the league but only fit to play junior championship  :o