The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

I think Balcarrick GC is doing good deal at the moment too.  It might be a bit far away for you though.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thebigfella

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 17, 2009, 09:34:13 AM
I think Balcarrick GC is doing good deal at the moment too.  It might be a bit far away for you though.

Yeah to get from Rathgar/Terenure it would be a bit too far, especially as I'd prefer to pay less than a grand. We have 3 or 4 of us looking, so ideally we would be looking a discount for the whole lot of us. Might have a look at the coure though some weekend.

Billys Boots

I don't know if it's still the case, but you could become a member of the public course (Corballis, the links across the road from Balcarrick) for about €400/yr. 

thebigfella

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 17, 2009, 11:05:04 AM
I don't know if it's still the case, but you could become a member of the public course (Corballis, the links across the road from Balcarrick) for about €400/yr.

Yeah that's similar to Silogue but I think you still have to pay green fees, although at a discounted rate. Not reallly what we are after.

Billys Boots

Turvey's fairly cheap too, and more likely to do a deal - course isn't great, though I believe they've spent a good bit of money there recently. 

thebigfella

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 17, 2009, 12:12:57 PM
Turvey's fairly cheap too, and more likely to do a deal - course isn't great, though I believe they've spent a good bit of money there recently.

Yeah there is a few young courses about that would be crying out for members in the new year. To pay big bucks is madness as I wouldn't get teh value out of it. I don't think I could play the same course all the time flat out, so I would also be paying green fees elsewhere at least 2 or 3 times a month during the summer.

muppet

It has come on an awful lot in the last few years.
MWWSI 2017

stew

Quote from: thebigfella on December 17, 2009, 12:28:17 PM

Yeah there is a few young courses about that would be crying out for members in the new year. To pay big bucks is madness as I wouldn't get teh value out of it. I don't think I could play the same course all the time flat out, so I would also be paying green fees elsewhere at least 2 or 3 times a month during the summer.

I joined a course and I played it exclusively but for a few outings a year, it was great because I played a lot, get a lot better and then after a few years I didnt join anywhere and played different courses, I kept a running total of how much I spent and it was more than three times greater than if I had stayed at the club and just played someplace else now and again.

I am joining the club again, $700.00 gets me a hundred rounds of golf, you cant beat that.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

venter

Hi Muppet,

Are you up in castlebar? Whats the weather like up there today, has the frost cleared. Westport is looking dodgy for the morning unfortunately.

Damn weather!

muppet

Quote from: venter on December 18, 2009, 03:08:25 PM
Hi Muppet,

Are you up in castlebar? Whats the weather like up there today, has the frost cleared. Westport is looking dodgy for the morning unfortunately.

Damn weather!

I'm in Dublin. Castlebar would usually close if the other courses around the county are closed. Mulranny might be a good bet.
MWWSI 2017

venter

I'll ring westport in the morning before I go anywhere, with a bit of luck it will be open! I havent played mulranny in a long time, I remember it being very windy back there and there being horses and sheep roaming the course. They have little fences around the greens to keep the livestock out. ( Is it a public course?)

I also remember scoring a wind assisted hat-trick for Kilmurry FC against mulranney once upon a time. I missed a penalty and I also fell into a hole and tore ligaments in my ankle. I have mixed emotions about that day.
Of course this is all relevant because the pitch was near the golf course!

flantheman82

Need help badly here guys.
Anyone know of a course that will be playable tomorrow?
Am based in Belfast but willing to drive up to 40 minutes.
Possible suggestions so far are:
down royal
Allen park
carnalee (wrong spelling I'm sure)
ardglass

any help would be greatly appreciated as i have been working all over the holidays and it's my only day off.

the waffler

Quote from: flantheman82 on January 03, 2010, 11:52:44 PM
Need help badly here guys.
Anyone know of a course that will be playable tomorrow?
Am based in Belfast but willing to drive up to 40 minutes.
Possible suggestions so far are:
down royal
Allen park
carnalee (wrong spelling I'm sure)
ardglass

any help would be greatly appreciated as i have been working all over the holidays and it's my only day off.
Kirkiston just outside Portaferry should deff be open great dry course as well its not to frosty here today either

flantheman82

Ended up going to carnalea. Not a bad course even with the temporary tees/greens. Ground was rock hard though. Even my dodgy slice looked even worse with the bounce off the fairway.

the waffler

Looking for a society weekend over may bank holiday about 25 lads reasonably priced for 2 nights and 2 rounds of golf any suggestions