kerry v donegal

Started by delgany, March 07, 2016, 08:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Kerry  v donegal  .....what   a wonderful display  of manliness? ....southern media headlines

Rossfan

Donegal is very South alright :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blewuporstuffed

Dirty action from Mc Gee (one which I have seen him do a few times before)
While I have sympathy for Fitzgerald, the referee was left with no option only to send him off.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

nrico2006

Fitzgerald should have not been sent off, what was he meant to do?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 08, 2016, 10:43:51 AM

Of course he should have been sent off, he threw about 4 punches.
I have every sympathy for him and I would say most of us would have done the same, but the referee had no choice really.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 08, 2016, 10:45:21 AM

I have every sympathy for him and I would say most of us would have done the same, but the referee had no choice really.

as someone said earlier, along the lines of 'provocation is highly rewarded' in football, which is so true. By the letter of the law,AF had to go. I'd rescind the red card and ban McGee, send out a message

blewuporstuffed

I would like to see McGee getting a  ban for that alright, I just couldnt see them recinding AF red.

westbound

on what basis would fitzgerald's red card be rescinded?

Whilst I think everyone here agrees that he was provoked and we'd all have done the same (or similiar) after being provoked in that way, but there is no way he can escape punishment. If we were to go down that road, we'd end up with the question of what provocation gives a player a free pass to throw a punch (or three!). If mcgee had punched him in the face and Fitzgerald reacted by throwing a punch back at him no-one would be saying fitzgerald should get off because he was provoked. This is effectively the same thing.

McGee should also be punished and in my opinion he should get at least the same ban as fitzgerald.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: JoG2 on March 08, 2016, 10:47:41 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 08, 2016, 10:45:21 AM

as someone said earlier, along the lines of 'provocation is highly rewarded' in football, which is so true. By the letter of the law,AF had to go. I'd rescind the red card and ban McGee, send out a message

You can't just change the rules to retrospectively ban someone, there is an incredibly selective and unfair aspect to that.

I do agree the rule should be changed to stop serious provocation being rewarding and encouraged, which the rules in their current guise do.

I do have a problem with the hysteria being made out around McGee at the minute though, what he did was nasty and underhand, no question.

Is it uncommon in today's game? No.

Is it any worse than a sneaky dig to the ribs or from behind, somebody deliberately stepping on an opponents toes or the other various forms of antagonism and provocation that regularly happens in the game across all teams? No, it's not, The Screaming Marys are out in force to pillar McGee as a pariah on a saintly game where only a marginal band of reprobates engage in such actions.

The rules should be changed from here on in but knowing the GAA, probably won't, allowing for such tactics to fester and prosper.

Last year, we had the watershed moment of McCann's dive and the hysterical outrage in the aftermath that saw McCann  hit with a makey up ban. What the GAA should have done was say enough is enough, from here on in, players who engage in such simulation run the risk of being retrospectively banned. As far as I am aware they have failed to change any rule after the farce they made of the McCann ban.

Rossfan

Fitzgerald's card can't possibly be rescinded or you may let mob rule take over altogether.
Maybe if his name was Connolly and he played for Dublin...... ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: westbound on March 08, 2016, 11:01:39 AM
on what basis would fitzgerald's red card be rescinded?

Whilst I think everyone here agrees that he was provoked and we'd all have done the same (or similiar) after being provoked in that way, but there is no way he can escape punishment. If we were to go down that road, we'd end up with the question of what provocation gives a player a free pass to throw a punch (or three!). If mcgee had punched him in the face and Fitzgerald reacted by throwing a punch back at him no-one would be saying fitzgerald should get off because he was provoked. This is effectively the same thing.

McGee should also be punished and in my opinion he should get at least the same ban as fitzgerald.
+1

Canalman

Quote from: Rossfan on March 08, 2016, 11:17:26 AM
Fitzgerald's card can't possibly be rescinded or you may let mob rule take over altogether.
Maybe if his name was Connolly and he played for Dublin...... ::)

Or Keegan and Keane if they played for Mayo.

blewuporstuffed

QuoteIs it any worse than a sneaky dig to the ribs or from behind, somebody deliberately stepping on an opponents toes or the other various forms of antagonism and provocation that regularly happens in the game across all teams? No, it's not,

I would say yes, its much worse.
We are talking about deliberately trying to inflict an injury that would have at least took him out of that game and potential been out for a while. Its far worse than a dig in the ribs or standing on the toes (which is more annoying than anything)

I would also say, while i have seen that done before a few times ( and Mcgee being one of them) I certainly wouldn't say its a common occurrence.

BluestackBoy

No problem with McGee getting a long ban, what he did is completely unacceptable.

However I wouldn't stop there, the assault on Murphy by Donaghy at the start was equally as dangerous, equally unacceptable & equally deserving of a long ban.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 08, 2016, 11:29:43 AM
QuoteIs it any worse than a sneaky dig to the ribs or from behind, somebody deliberately stepping on an opponents toes or the other various forms of antagonism and provocation that regularly happens in the game across all teams? No, it's not,

I would say yes, its much worse.
We are talking about deliberately trying to inflict an injury that would have at least took him out of that game and potential been out for a while. Its far worse than a dig in the ribs or standing on the toes (which is more annoying than anything)

I would also say, while i have seen that done before a few times ( and Mcgee being one of them) I certainly wouldn't say its a common occurrence.

Are you saying he was deliberately trying to break his fingers?  Ridiculous assertion to make.