kerry v donegal

Started by delgany, March 07, 2016, 08:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westbound

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 10, 2016, 10:17:36 AM
The last thing we'd want to do is take direction from a shit sport like rugby.

In fairness, whatever you think about the sport, the respect shown to referees in rugby is top class.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: westbound on March 10, 2016, 10:41:35 AM

In fairness, whatever you think about the sport, the respect shown to referees in rugby is top class.

The flip side of that is that the respect shown to players from referees and the way they explain their decisions is very good.
Unfortunately this is also something that is usually missing in our game.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

westbound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 10, 2016, 10:44:51 AM

The flip side of that is that the respect shown to players from referees and the way they explain their decisions is very good.

I'd agree with that too.

muppet

Quote from: westbound on March 10, 2016, 10:52:44 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 10, 2016, 10:44:51 AM

I'd agree with that too.

That would be the best entertainment of all!
MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

I watched this game last Sunday with interest as I thought it would be a big test for both teams. With the good start Donegal have made and with the bad start Kerry had made I expected this game to have fireworks.

As many of you have learnt Donegal have added a sharp edge to their game since McGuinness was their manager and they learned the lesson you gotta earn the right to play football sometimes against the big teams.
Dublin can waltz through Leinster and most games in Croke park without getting into a war of attrition but as you saw last few times in Ulster that games between Donegal, Monaghan and Tyrone tend to be high intensity with all sorts of unsportsmanlike conduct going on. Dublin took this attitude up for the battle of Omagh back in 2006 and it won them the game and was a huge turning point for Dublin as they showed themselves they do have the bottle to win very ugly against Ulster teams.

Sadly this is the type of game which occurs when one team comes with a "in your face" plan of attack and the other team take the "You won't bully us" attitude.
Apparently the referee tried to talk to both managers at half time but who was going to back down. Kerry knew they had to win if they wanted to stay in Div 1.

Tyrone in the past were well capable of playing such a style of game but I'm not sure if we have any such players any more. I think that's why perhaps we've struggled in Ulster in the last number of years.
I think the rules are there for refs and the CCCC to punish such behaviour but too often or not players get away with it for one reason or another. Fans don't like to see such incidents even if it does make it much more exciting.

BluestackBoy

For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

AZOffaly

Yes, except when the Dubs were getting their bellyful of it in Leinster, from Meath and Kildare, and even with Laois and Westmeath winning Leinsters, I don't recall this sort of bolloxology. It's a relatively recent development, and I agree with those who say it adds absolutely nothing to our games.

JoG2

"Kerry manager Éamonn Fitzmaurice may have to make do without Marc Ó Sé for Sunday's trip to Castlebar as the veteran defender recovers from a nose injury.

Ó Sé sustained a broken nose during the opening stages of Kerry's fiery league clash with Donegal last Sunday in Tralee, where he went on to play the entire 70 minutes as the Kingdom recorded a five-point win over the visitors.

Speaking on Radio Kerry, Ó Sé claimed that he had been "blindsided" when he shipped a blow to the face and the injury now leaves him doubtful for Sunday's showdown with Mayo at McHale Park (throw-in 2.30pm)."

Beffs

Quote from: westbound on March 10, 2016, 09:40:56 AM
Quote from: Beffs on March 09, 2016, 09:15:00 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 09, 2016, 06:07:24 PM
Quote from: longballin on March 09, 2016, 04:24:17 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on March 09, 2016, 04:14:22 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 09, 2016, 03:51:47 PM
No point trying to appeal to players better natures so rules & procedures have to be put in place.

1. Only the captain allowed to talk to the ref, as in rugby.

2. Linesmen & umpires to police foul play & report to referee.

3. Video to be used after games to catch unseen misdemeanours.

None of this would be difficult to introduce or need votes at congress, just a manly set of balls to enforce.

These all seem reasonable to me, and should be able to be enforced at intercounty championship level at least.

The first one could be difficult as in rugby all the players move together more or less but like if an incident happens in GAA say in corner forward it is a long haul for a keeper as captain to go up to speak to ref. Waste enough time waiting for Cluxton to come out and take a free as it is..

Point taken.

Easily gotten around by nominating a vice captain, who plays out field. The captain takes care of issues in one half of the field and, the vice captain takes care of the other half. Solves the problem of a goal keeper or a corner forward having to run the entire length of the pitch, every time the ref blows his whistle.

Even if you nominate 3 'captains' or vice captains, there is no guarantee that any of them will be near an incident when it occurs. In rugby the 15 players are almost always in a small area (not to mention that a rugby pitch is significantly smaller) so the captain will always be near an incident. Also, rugby is much more stop start that we want football to be so again it lends itself better to pausing to wait for the captain to talk to the ref.

I'm all for something that would prevent every player feeling like they have a right to question every decision with the ref, but a workable solution would need to be found.

Realistically, the captain/player spokesman should not need to jog to the ref every time he blows his whistle. Games like the Kerry/Donegal one are the exception. not the rule imo.

Scenario one:  Player commits a foul. Ref blows for the free. Player is pissed, but not prone to argue or make a fuss & the game just carries on. No need for ref and player to speak, or anyone else to get involved.

Scenario two: Player commits a free. Ref wants to talk to player to issue a warning or give him a card. Points to player, calls out his name and number & beckons him over. Situation is relatively calm. No one else gets involved.

(All players are told that during breaks in play, they are not to approach the ref, unless he is specifically summoned by the ref. Anyone who does gets a warning, do it twice, get 10 mins in a sin bin.)

Scenario three: Player commits a foul. Situation is tense. Shit could kick off. Ref raises his arm to signal to captain/player ref that he wants to talk to him. Ref and player rep handle the situation together. Anyone else who tries to get involved, gets an automatic black card, or 10 mins in the sin bin.

The captain/player rep only gets involved when the ref thinks he needs back up. Regardless of where he has to travel to from the pitch, it is a good investment time wise. Considering how much time is currently wasted with players surrounding the ref and yapping at him, a quick job from the full forward line to the middle of the pitch, a couple of times during the game is not that bad.

westbound

OK. But that's effectively the same as the rules now. Except that the ref currently never gives a black card for mouthing!!!!!!!

muppet

Quote from: westbound on March 10, 2016, 02:38:50 PM
OK. But that's effectively the same as the rules now. Except that the ref currently never gives a black card for mouthing!!!!!!!

If that was applied properly, Donaghy wouldn't have had much of a career.
MWWSI 2017

Beffs

It's not the same rules as now. Where in the current rules does it say that the players can not harangue the ref, or that only the captain/player rep can address the ref, or that a player goes to the sin bin if he is too mouthy and pushy and shovey?

I accept that under the current system, a ref can award a black card for mouthing off to the ref. It's just not enforced enough.

westbound

Quote from: Beffs on March 10, 2016, 02:51:55 PM

It's not the same rules as now. Where in the current rules does it say that the players can not harangue the ref, or that only the captain/player rep can address the ref, or that a player goes to the sin bin if he is too mouthy and pushy and shovey?

I accept that under the current system, a ref can award a black card for mouthing off to the ref. It's just not enforced enough.

I suppose the the point I was making was that for your rules to work they would have to be enforced properly. But the problem with the current rules around this area is that they are not enforced.

Award a few black cards for mouthing and the players wont be long shutting their mouths.