Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

Kevin Bell has been elected as the new Down chairman.  Jerry Quinn's support for Paddy O'Rourke obviously came back to bite him.  Still think he would have done a better job than Bell.  I hadn't much time for him when he was there before.

Dubh driocht

Agree Cloc Mor.Sorry to see Jerry Quinn go. His judgement with Paddy has cost him but to throw him out so soon is an over-reaction. We need leadership at a difficult time and I am unconvinced Kevin Bell will provide it. There is not a lot of glamour in the job and Jerry was not in it for his ego. Ah well, the GAA we all love !

Pangurban

Re. Kevin Bells election as Co. Chairman, a backward step, of incredible stupidity. Another year to be faced dereft of vision or innovation. The Gael would offer more. We have only ourselves to blame, when you accept mediocrity then that is what you get.

Cloc Mor

Jerry Quinn has been slated on the board from pillar to post.  I have never joined in with this criticism as I genuinely believed that he had the best interests of Down at heart.  He wasn't in the job for what he could get out of it and his stubbornness over the Paddy O' Rourke affair didn't help.  I believe he took into Paddy Heaney over some of his articles in the Irish News and Bredagh were none to happy with this.  The vote was then very close with only 3 or 4 votes in it - Mickey Cole got 2 votes (even though there were 3 delegates from his club eligible to vote).

Another bad day for Down.

An Dun Deal

I'm wasn't the biggest fan of Quinn - think he tied his Paddy O'Rourke colours to the mast a bit too tight - but in fairness he did the job for the love of it. Don't know if Bell will be any better though. He doesn't exactly inspire.

I wonder how many of the County executive voted for Bell?

johnneycool

It was really hobsons choice of those two. Kevin is every bit as arrogant at Gerry Quinn and with probably less ability or vision.

I suppose every country gets the government it deserves so to speak.

Lecale2

I'm surprised JQ lost out to Kevin Bell. I thought he would hang on. I wasn't at the convention and only heard the result when I looked in here a few minutes ago. The POR issue was the main one I guess. He made us all look foolish the way he allowed that situation to drag on. In what way did he attack Bredagh in his speech?

An Duin Abu

At yesterdays convention Gerry Quinn had a straight pop at Paddy Heaney and then went on question whether or not the Bredagh club ( in essence he was questioning every member of their club) were of the same opinion as Paddy Heaney. I would ask how can a club be responsible for an individuals opinions? Paddy Heaney was writing in a professional capacity, something that Gerry Quinn does for a living, and the issue of his club should not have been dragged into it. The two Bredagh reps quite rightly took exception to his comments and were eventually allowed to speak and make their views known. Whether or not it mattered on the day however  is questionable as I think he signed his own warrant over the Paddy O'Rourke issue.

An Dun Deal

So what does Bell have to offer this time around?

behind the wire

dunno what way the county is heading now, the top definitely needs a good clear out but then again we are back to the same old question: who else wants to do it???? theres hardly a queue. but look on the bright side, at least we wont have to listen to gerry on the microphone at the club championship games, or at least we hope not!! (how are we going to know that the burger stand and tuck shop open now)
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

downredblack

By John Campbell

Down County board chairman Jerry Quinn has predicted that before 2007 is out the top GAA players will be financially compensated for their involvement in the games.

"Not as pay for play but in some other guide", Quinn told the delegates at yesterday's Mourne Convention in Newry.

And he warned that this is one of a number of challenges looming on the horizon.

"It seems no time since we were being told to prepare for the challenges of the new millennium and "now six years on the winds of change are blowing", declared Quinn.

In accepting that international sports in other codes will be played at Croke Park shortly, Quinn expressed fears as to just how long it will be before the Association is faced with similar demands for such sports to play on other GAA grounds.

"How we manage the issues which will confront us will be a major challenge", added Quinn.

He expressed the hope though that the ongoing development work at Pairc Esler in Newry will be completed in time to allow Down to perhaps host a possible home-game against Monahan in the Bank of Ireland Ulster Senior Football Championship next June.

"There is no doubt that the completion of the new stand, the floodlighting and the improved playing "surface in particular will greatly enhance Newry as a modern stadium", asserted Quinn.

But while there will be a new look to the county's premier ground, several old familiar faces are about to exit the administrative setup.

Donal McCormack has stepped down as secretary following a 33-year association with the Down Board in various roles while treasurer John Harper will step down next year under the terms of the Special Review Committee Report the next few years will see others move in Down, just as will be the case in other counties.

"In less then five years from now there will be many new faces - younger faces - and the county "management structure will have a different age profile," Quinn said.

Colonel Cool

Well done to Ballycran minors with their win over Cushendall in the ulster semi final. Terrible time off year to be playing important minor matches. Good luck in the final. God knows Down hurling needs a bit of success after an awful year.

I see over on the Antrim thread that Bredagh are joining the Antrim league next year. It probably makes more sense for them but a sad loss to the Down leagues. Darragh Cross dropped out last year now Bredagh & we only have a handful of clubs anyway. Who will be next. Down hurley really is in big trouble, and not just outside the Ards.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on December 13, 2006, 09:07:38 AM
Well done to Ballycran minors with their win over Cushendall in the ulster semi final. Terrible time off year to be playing important minor matches. Good luck in the final. God knows Down hurling needs a bit of success after an awful year.

I see over on the Antrim thread that Bredagh are joining the Antrim league next year. It probably makes more sense for them but a sad loss to the Down leagues. Darragh Cross dropped out last year now Bredagh & we only have a handful of clubs anyway. Who will be next. Down hurley really is in big trouble, and not just outside the Ards.

What's stopping Bredagh competing in Antrim league and the Down league?

bredagh

That would be the intention of Bredagh

downredblack

Someone must have a fair idea what the panel is by now ?