Professionalism in the G.A.A.

Started by Buswhacker, April 13, 2012, 12:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buswhacker

Aye but there are still people coining it. Are some managers paid,and don't give me the " expenses" story.This question can never get a straight, honest no nonsense answer. ARE SOME MANAGERS BEING PAID BOTH AT CLUB AND COUNTY LEVEL ?......... an honest answer from some of "our holier than thou" posters,who seem to know everything.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 15, 2012, 12:44:48 PM
Aye but there are still people coining it. Are some managers paid,and don't give me the " expenses" story.This question can never get a straight, honest no nonsense answer. ARE SOME MANAGERS BEING PAID BOTH AT CLUB AND COUNTY LEVEL ?......... an honest answer from some of "our holier than thou" posters,who seem to know everything.

Cant believe you used 'aye but' in first line!! .How much was loughgiels managers getting ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Buswhacker

And while we're at it why are no receipt admission tickets issued at GAA games.

Last Man

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 15, 2012, 01:31:23 PM
And while we're at it why are no receipt admission tickets issued at GAA games.
Fair enough Whack none of us say its right as it stands but there are few round loughgiel trumpeting the assistance of a certain benefactor in their recent good fortune nor are there many of us who would be slating said person as we understand his motives, but what you are proposing is a whole different thing and I believe would spell the end for all but the top clubs.
think you need to start doing some work at the grass roots to see what some people actually do only for the love of it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 15, 2012, 12:51:33 PM
Quote from: Buswhacker on April 15, 2012, 12:44:48 PM

Cant believe you used 'aye but' in first line!! .How much was loughgiels managers getting ?

BUMP!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Buswhacker

I'm proposing nothing, just soliciting opinion on the issue.And by the way........."bump"as stated by that other fiendishly subtle poster who's name escapes me.

Milltown Row2

I was only asking a question which you haven't answered, it's your thread by the way

imtommygunn

Buswhacker your post about underused club grounds intrigues me.

What makes you think that some club grounds are being underused?

Also if the club owns the ground why should the GAA get money from it? How would the logistics of that work??

Buswhacker

I know it's my thread,just asking opinions.Loughgiel's manager doesn't get paid, despite his unprecedented success in Antrim and Ireland,but some do, from what I hear.

Interesting

A very interesting debate regarding professionalism in the GAA. How does the principal sit with the GAA 'ethos' and the thousands of volunteers we have. Just where would the revenue be generated given that we are a 'unique' sport to a limited number of people, even in our own country. Mind you some would say there is already professionalism in our organisation. Some 'managers', coaches, trainers being brought in and getting paid through what is called 'expenses'.

Bushwhacker you guys must have felt the impact of some of this as a result of your recent All Ireland campaign, trips away, training/injury expenses etc. What would be a ball park figure of your outlay? 

Milltown Row2

Jim travels down there for free? A nd the trainer? He gets nowt?

Interesting, we've been recently to Croke a few times, with the hurling and football and it has cost us a clean fortune. If we
were lucky enough to get back then we'd need 30 grand. Thats about a ball park figure

Buswhacker

Shamamateurism or hypocrisy, call it what you will,nobody wants to be the one to face it square on. Sweep it below the carpet in our time honoured fashion.

Last Man

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 15, 2012, 06:45:40 PM
I know it's my thread,just asking opinions.Loughgiel's manager doesn't get paid, despite his unprecedented success in Antrim and Ireland,but some do, from what I hear.
But your tone advocates professionalism, as i see it the paid manager/coach situation is at an all time low which is suits most of us just fine and has forced the mercenaries back to their lairs for the time being and might help clubs realise they should develop talent from within instead of throwing money up the road.
Maybe your just conceding no Nelson, no Tom Moore??

Interesting

Milltown-Interesting, we've been recently to Croke a few times, with the hurling and football and it has cost us a clean fortune. If we
were lucky enough to get back then we'd need 30 grand. Thats about a ball park figure.

I am not surprised at the figure. And to the majority of clubs in the GAA that's massive.

Bushwhacker- Your post, your topic. So we can develop the debate. Just a ball park figure of what it cost you?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Buswhacker on April 15, 2012, 07:02:17 PM
Shamamateurism or hypocrisy, call it what you will,nobody wants to be the one to face it square on. Sweep it below the carpet in our time honoured fashion.

So what is your point? Should players and managers get paid? Should no one get paid or just the players?

I'm not sure where the money is coming from. If the pitches are under used and sold meaning pitch maintenance money is saved, will that be enough to pay players, managers, kit men trainers, chairmen, lotto ticket sellers, bar staff!!!!!!!