Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Points a Good Score on January 21, 2020, 09:24:44 AM
Reasons for the change were stated as, the condensing of the national GAA calendar and players disdain for mid week fixtures so more games to be played on Sundays.

To me it shows a real disregard to Division 2 teams with county players as 3 national league fixtures will clash with Div 2 league games.

The Division 2 clubs who have county players have the option to call off any league games that would clash with county games on a Sunday / weekend.

The option then would be to play the fixture midweek.

Points a Good Score

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on January 21, 2020, 10:52:43 AM
Quote from: Points a Good Score on January 21, 2020, 09:24:44 AM
Reasons for the change were stated as, the condensing of the national GAA calendar and players disdain for mid week fixtures so more games to be played on Sundays.

To me it shows a real disregard to Division 2 teams with county players as 3 national league fixtures will clash with Div 2 league games.

The Division 2 clubs who have county players have the option to call off any league games that would clash with county games on a Sunday / weekend.

The option then would be to play the fixture midweek.

Where do you play the midweek games in March if clubs don't have floodlights?

Why not align the start date of Division 2 with Division 1

Stillwater2

Div 1 and 2 should be started together on 29th March. Let Div 3 start on 1st March.

If you are a Div 2 team with a county player, you have the option to call your games off and the CCC will then refix. Refix to the dates that the additional Div 1 Fixtures will be played after there later start. Anyone else confused yet?

With the Senior Hurling starting on the 19th April, does that mean there will be fixtures during the Joe McDonagh campaign?

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: Stillwater2 on January 21, 2020, 11:20:12 AM
Div 1 and 2 should be started together on 29th March. Let Div 3 start on 1st March.

If you are a Div 2 team with a county player, you have the option to call your games off and the CCC will then refix. Refix to the dates that the additional Div 1 Fixtures will be played after there later start. Anyone else confused yet?

With the Senior Hurling starting on the 19th April, does that mean there will be fixtures during the Joe McDonagh campaign?

Joe McDonagh fixtures are played on a Saturday.

Players usually have the option of playing for their club on the Sunday - has happened before

cfclg

This is just the start of it. We need a complete overhaul in the way fixtures are played in our county. Mindsets need to change because croke park aren't for shifting. 2021 will be packed tight. I don't envy the job of whoever is doing the schedules.

themac_23

Quote from: cfclg on January 21, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
This is just the start of it. We need a complete overhaul in the way fixtures are played in our county. Mindsets need to change because croke park aren't for shifting. 2021 will be packed tight. I don't envy the job of whoever is doing the schedules.

Do you think ultimately they will shift from the hurling one week football the next? With the calendar being condensed will they maybe make it that hurling and football be played same week for example a hurling game tues/ wed and football thurs/fri just seems that something is going to have tk five somewhere along h the line, that'll be a disaster for dual clubs though

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on January 21, 2020, 11:25:55 AM
Quote from: Stillwater2 on January 21, 2020, 11:20:12 AM

Joe McDonagh fixtures are played on a Saturday.

Players usually have the option of playing for their club on the Sunday - has happened before

Yeah they have done that last year. we played our D1 league games in the hurling minus our county players last season and id expect it to be the same this year. we didnt have them for any football games either.
hurl like f**k boi!

cfclg

Quote from: themac_23 on January 21, 2020, 05:08:28 PM
Quote from: cfclg on January 21, 2020, 12:15:40 PM

Do you think ultimately they will shift from the hurling one week football the next? With the calendar being condensed will they maybe make it that hurling and football be played same week for example a hurling game tues/ wed and football thurs/fri just seems that something is going to have tk five somewhere along h the line, that'll be a disaster for dual clubs though

I don't know what the solution will be but the way you are thinking there is an example of how the way we think about fixtures will have to change. I agree, the hardest hit will be the dual clubs.

Milltown Row2

Its the same problems every year and I've yet to hear one proper solution, the facts are we are a dual county we have dual clubs and we have dual players.

We run our leagues off based on accommodating the county teams and trying to be understanding to the dual element we have, you can't please everyone, there are no counties out there that are dual (Cork, Dublin Galway and co) that have the perfect set up, if they did we'd all use them, they use the starred formats or similar ones, we tried that in the past and the clubs were cracking up as they didn't get to use their star players.

We've tried play off's in the past too and that didn't go down well with some, there has been numerous attempts by people to keep everyone happy, its impossible. Croke give the county a timetable and we have to fit our competitions into that.. We want our county winners to have the best prep before their attempt in the Ulster club championships to its got to be timed right (unlike last year for an injury ravaged Cargin team) but that was unheard of due to the replays.

So i'd be all ears to hear of the decent solutions you have.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 22, 2020, 01:34:47 PM
Its the same problems every year and I've yet to hear one proper solution, the facts are we are a dual county we have dual clubs and we have dual players.

We run our leagues off based on accommodating the county teams and trying to be understanding to the dual element we have, you can't please everyone, there are no counties out there that are dual (Cork, Dublin Galway and co) that have the perfect set up, if they did we'd all use them, they use the starred formats or similar ones, we tried that in the past and the clubs were cracking up as they didn't get to use their star players.

We've tried play off's in the past too and that didn't go down well with some, there has been numerous attempts by people to keep everyone happy, its impossible. Croke give the county a timetable and we have to fit our competitions into that.. We want our county winners to have the best prep before their attempt in the Ulster club championships to its got to be timed right (unlike last year for an injury ravaged Cargin team) but that was unheard of due to the replays.

So i'd be all ears to hear of the decent solutions you have.

I don't envy any man or woman who sits on a fixture committee. Where do you get the days of the week and more importantly referees??

belfastsaff

anyone a stab at what the team is going to be for sunday ?
I'm going with

oisin kerr

rdelargy
ricky j
Patrick Gallagher

Niall Delargy
Decky Lynch
peter healy

marc Jordan
Conor murray

fintan burke
paddy McBride
Eunan walsh

Oran eastwood
R McCann
conor small

don't think it will be to far away from that based on what ive seen this year....

Rodger Mona

Unfortunately the elite growing manifestation of our games and the veering off towards professionalism, which is reflected in the county football/ hurling annual training and competition schedules, has little to no room for our county boards to provide anything other than a hectic calendar of fixtures. They are trying their best!! They are living off, the scraps of the table which croke park allocates them in terms of dates. The hierarchy of the GAA are completely ruining the whole ethos of our games and leaving the county players with very little opportunity to play with their clubs for most of the season. and if they do they run the risk of getting injured as most club games fall a day or two later following a county game. Thats not including the S&C they are expected to partake in with the county set ups. It has a negative knock on effect for club teams who may have 2/3/4 county players that are ultimately left to pay the price.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: belfastsaff on January 22, 2020, 03:37:54 PM
anyone a stab at what the team is going to be for sunday ?
I'm going with

oisin kerr

rdelargy
ricky j
Patrick Gallagher

Niall Delargy
Decky Lynch
peter healy

marc Jordan
Conor murray

fintan burke
paddy McBride
Eunan walsh

Oran eastwood
R McCann
conor small

don't think it will be to far away from that based on what ive seen this year....
No Cunningham or McCann? much was made of their return...only saying like

bannside

True but PC sat out a few weeks due to hamstring tweak after going well in a couple of pre season friendlies. Tomas out a bit longer nowhere near match fit so hes at least a few weeks behind Paddy. Hopefully both will have plenty of game time as league progresses. Dermot Mc Aleese back training too after a bit of surgery around Halloween. He wont be far away either before its over.

Rodger Mona

BS how do you know so much regarding affairs in panel. May i ask if u are giving a hand or take much to do with set up? Good to have a bit of inside knowkledge. Keeps the discussion board well informed. Much appreciated