Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: SaffronSports on June 13, 2023, 11:56:16 AM
What's the numbers re relegation this year? I know there's no promotion. Mainly asking about how many go down from division 2

Two from Div 2
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: NorthAntrim on June 13, 2023, 10:15:15 AM
Ardoyne winning div 4 a bit of a shock. Report on SG look to have big numbers. Fair play. A club on the rise
I think they got a good few lads in from up the West when Ollie Bellew was manager last year- not sure who's taking them this year.

Always had a few handy enough hurlers in the past but were balanced out by a good few lads who wouldn't have had much respect for the rules :D

At the same time they're providing a great facility and identity for a lot of the youth of North Belfast where social issues have been lacking.

saffman

Don't believe any of the ardoyne team would be from West Belfast

From what i heard a few years back when they were getting things up and running it was very much an open to all skills level invite for anyone in the community. Also if not mistaken i believe they identified a number of players from the catchment area who wouldve previously played for st endas that no longer hurled and offered an environment to simply pick up a hurl go to training and see what happens.

Fair play to them!

Last Man

Not from but 3 of them played senior for Rossa at one stage or another.

Saffron_sam20

Quote from: saffman on June 13, 2023, 05:25:06 PM
Don't believe any of the ardoyne team would be from West Belfast

From what i heard a few years back when they were getting things up and running it was very much an open to all skills level invite for anyone in the community. Also if not mistaken i believe they identified a number of players from the catchment area who wouldve previously played for st endas that no longer hurled and offered an environment to simply pick up a hurl go to training and see what happens.

Fair play to them!

I think where the west belfast thing comes from is when they folded the hurling few years ago some of their players went to other clubs but most came back I know 1 went to rossa when the hurling stopped

saffman

Yeah fair, think 2 of them played for Rossa at some stage

Think they both originate club/location from Ardoyne area

Still great to see for an area like North Belfast. Certainly should be more Garlic games & numbers so can only be a good thing

imtommygunn

North Belfast is getting stronger I think - the Pearses club too are improving and Ardoyne football wise for where they were at have improved a lot. I see a lot of things appearing on social media now pushing for them to get council pitches etc which they seem to get very little of. Also St Endas now has a large membership and division 1 in both. (They are more or less north belfast...).

Hopefully longer term it'll be good for the county.

(Not to forget the wolfe tones club too)

Saffron_sam20

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 14, 2023, 08:15:26 AM
North Belfast is getting stronger I think - the Pearses club too are improving and Ardoyne football wise for where they were at have improved a lot. I see a lot of things appearing on social media now pushing for them to get council pitches etc which they seem to get very little of. Also St Endas now has a large membership and division 1 in both. (They are more or less north belfast...).

Hopefully longer term it'll be good for the county.

(Not to forget the wolfe tones club too)

seen that as well, think the tweets I seen were from the Wolfe tones chairman, then seen Pearses ones comment too. Madness how tough it is to get GAA council facilities for them hopefully they can get some good news soon

imtommygunn

Interesting result between Dunloy loughgiel. Loughgiel have been beating all round them and the Dunloy beat them by 15. Wonder do they have the county guys back.

Jonkunlon

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 14, 2023, 09:47:56 PM
Interesting result between Dunloy loughgiel. Loughgiel have been beating all round them and the Dunloy beat them by 15. Wonder do they have the county guys back.

Clearly decided it's time to start hurling. They've only been messing about until now. Great apathy towards the leagues this year in general. Not great for our game if the season is going to boil down to a handful of competitive games. Even the senior championship groups will largely be uncompetitive.

Again, intermediate is where the gruelling competition lies.

Saffrongael

Quote from: Jonkunlon on June 14, 2023, 10:46:19 PM

Clearly decided it's time to start hurling. They've only been messing about until now. Great apathy towards the leagues this year in general. Not great for our game if the season is going to boil down to a handful of competitive games. Even the senior championship groups will largely be uncompetitive.

Intermediate groups are probably a bit lopsided too though. Cushendun, Carey & St Galls in the same group.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

SaffronSports

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 14, 2023, 10:49:18 PM

Intermediate groups are probably a bit lopsided too though. Cushendun, Carey & St Galls in the same group.

Just on that group. Glenarm are in there too as last year's Junior champs. How do they decide what teams go back down to Junior for 2024?

Jonkunlon

Quote from: Saffrongael on June 14, 2023, 10:49:18 PM

Yeah it's a fair point. Glenariffe touched lucky. Sarsfields at full strength will probably be the 2nd team to come out of that group. Carey or Cushendun will be hard to beat.

NAG1

The split season is to blame for this apathy toward the league and the lack of proper games.

Saffrongael

Quote from: NAG1 on June 15, 2023, 08:28:37 AM

The split season is to blame for this apathy toward the league and the lack of proper games.

The split season and specifically in Antrim this year, no promotion