Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 3805766 times)

cfclg

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #37935 on: June 11, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
Being a successful county team is normally a RESULT of a very strong and vibrant club scene. We put too much emphasis on county rather than clubs IMO. Cart before the horse. 1% of the playing population dictating to 99% of the playing population. It needs to stop.

Time for radical change. Forget about Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring et al until we get our club game in the right place. Fulfil the fixtures but lets not get too wound up until we get the foundations right. If we can't get someone to take the county team then pull out of the competitions all together for all I care. County team performance is not as important as getting our club game in order.

The same is paramount for underage. Abandon development squads that again only look after the 1% and ignore the 99%. Lets get more coaches on the ground with the kids and encourage participation rather than creating this elitist model that has a negative effect on those who aren't involved in it.

I have to agree with a previous poster. Saffron vision have a different approach to a lot of our issues in this county but none to this problem. Same old story.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #37936 on: June 13, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
The competition is were we are at, that level is very competitive and can only bring us on... I wasnt at the match so cant comment on it but was following on twitter as I was in Galway with the club, but the updates seemed to be very good until I checked at halftime!

9 points up was my last check and then only a point up, how did we let that slip? from there on in it was a battle by all accounts and we'd leveled it late on only for Kerry to tag on 3 points without reply..

We don't have big fit players, you can have your small speedy forwards or even small'ish corner backs but your Fullback all of your half back line and 3/4 line need to be bigger units, to win primary ball, not trying to pick up the scraps if the ball drops..

We need to develop better players NMcM can't do it all, more players need to step up to the plate
Yep. Way too reliant on him - he must be 30/31 now and won't be around forever so fills the gap when he isn't around.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #37937 on: June 13, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »
Our club game will develop alot in next few years. A strong dunloy will, longer term, help. Realistically it has been cushendall loughgiel for quite a while until last year. Rossa are starting to show signs of wakening too, though armstrong's injury a big blow, so hopefully that will help.

Mcmanus is ploughing a lone furrow a lot so hopefully some of the younger boys will start shaping up with experience and more physical strength.

None of this will magically happen though and depends on clubs. St johns and ballycastle stepping up would help a lot.

It would be good to get the ulster club back and if we want to push on the experience the ai club gives to players is something which would be a massive help.

I don't think these managers have underachieved. Where we are is about right for the players we currently have. In addition I don't think we would have a queue for managers anyway.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #37938 on: June 15, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
i think too many people are concentrating on the negatives rather than taking the positives and building on them.

a few years ago we would of been tanked by Galway, Dublin etc in the league. Now we are moaning about narrow defeats to teams like this? to be honest i think we have made good progress in the league and the Joe McDonagh Cup. yes we had 3 disappointing defeats but the teams we lost to would of been disappointed to lose to us as well!

thats the flip side to this. we are not in a position to be assuming that losing to teams the same level as ourselves is a low or a failure of some sort.

off the pitch SV has now got antrim into a good financial state and they are bringing in money and investment to the background, on the pitch it will take the same time to get it right as well. its time to show a bit of faith in people who want the job and have a passion for the county rather than just look for a scapegoat each time it doesn't work.
hurl like f**k boi!

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #37939 on: June 15, 2018, 10:16:35 AM »
i think too many people are concentrating on the negatives rather than taking the positives and building on them.

a few years ago we would of been tanked by Galway, Dublin etc in the league. Now we are moaning about narrow defeats to teams like this? to be honest i think we have made good progress in the league and the Joe McDonagh Cup. yes we had 3 disappointing defeats but the teams we lost to would of been disappointed to lose to us as well!

thats the flip side to this. we are not in a position to be assuming that losing to teams the same level as ourselves is a low or a failure of some sort.

off the pitch SV has now got antrim into a good financial state and they are bringing in money and investment to the background, on the pitch it will take the same time to get it right as well. its time to show a bit of faith in people who want the job and have a passion for the county rather than just look for a scapegoat each time it doesn't work.

I've said it before and I'l say it again, you're never far off the mark at all.

MoChara

• View Profile
« Reply #37940 on: June 16, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »
With the talk before even the Kerry game of the current management looking to move on has this been clarified and if so any rumours doing the rounds of what next?

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #37941 on: June 16, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »

I've said it before and I'l say it again, you're never far off the mark at all.
Agreed.

groundlie

• View Profile
« Reply #37942 on: June 16, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
I think Dunloy realist hit the nail in the head. Less pessimism please folks, as stated before we have four guys who are seriously committed to trying their best to get Antrim competitive. They arenít mercenaries, the are just honest men. I would be critical of the lack of club hurling though, totally shocking. I think on average senior hurling teams in Dublin get 40 matches per year. How many would an Antrim club hurler get?

I spoke earlier in the week about how we havenít ever been competitive at minor level consistently. Dublin beat  our minors 3:16 to 0:04 today. I think as a county we have delousions of grandeur when it comes to the senior team.

maxpower

• View Profile
« Reply #37943 on: June 17, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
I certainly donít share that optimism, County seniors struggled in both Div 1B and the Joe McDonagh, the key players are over 30 and no obvious replacements lined up.  U21ís beat by Kildare and minors thumped by Dublin.

Senior club fixtures are a shambles, nowhere near enough games on a regular enough basis to really engage the local community.  Club players are training circa 140 times now for 14 league matches and maybe 4 games between feis and championship! Barring Rossaís fully deserved championship victory in 2004 weíve seen the title shared by just 3 clubs over nearly 3 decades and weíve now witnessed the Ulster Club Championship reside outside Antrim for 2 consecutive years.

If we are looking to our under safe structures for inspiration we are going to be sadly lacking, apathy has seen the collapse of the excellent North Antrim festival of hurling, under age players in Antrim can expect circa 12 games a year! Soccer teams get triple this, they can almost virtually guarantee the schedule despite it being a winter sport.

Every club has good men working in isolation but we need to admit we have problems, I am convinced participation levels are dropping or at best have hit a plateau.

How would I solve the problems
1. Paid development officer should as a priority focus on fixtures and support for clubs. 
2. Guarantee each team 25 games, switch the balance from 80/20 training games to 50/50
3. Structured, promoted adult leagues
4. Divisional boards to have a unified approach to age grading and fixture schedules to addresss the ludicrious situation where players have to choose football or hurling at u8ís!!!
5. These underage blitzes to be reviewed, all of them, football, hurling and camogie are on Sun resulting in clashes
6. Astronomical amount of games called off due to waterlogged pitches, with the amount of money washing through the GAA now it would be a massive investment in infrastructure if they built a number of 3G pitches around the county available for games
7. Clubs to take responsibility for the improvement in skill standards and to be given the opportunity to do this.
8. Schools to be supported but only with the  involvement of the local clubs
What happens next????

Megaman

• View Profile
« Reply #37944 on: June 17, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
Totally agree with all of that.

cfclg

• View Profile
« Reply #37945 on: June 18, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »
I certainly donít share that optimism, County seniors struggled in both Div 1B and the Joe McDonagh, the key players are over 30 and no obvious replacements lined up.  U21ís beat by Kildare and minors thumped by Dublin.

Senior club fixtures are a shambles, nowhere near enough games on a regular enough basis to really engage the local community.  Club players are training circa 140 times now for 14 league matches and maybe 4 games between feis and championship! Barring Rossaís fully deserved championship victory in 2004 weíve seen the title shared by just 3 clubs over nearly 3 decades and weíve now witnessed the Ulster Club Championship reside outside Antrim for 2 consecutive years.

If we are looking to our under safe structures for inspiration we are going to be sadly lacking, apathy has seen the collapse of the excellent North Antrim festival of hurling, under age players in Antrim can expect circa 12 games a year! Soccer teams get triple this, they can almost virtually guarantee the schedule despite it being a winter sport.

Every club has good men working in isolation but we need to admit we have problems, I am convinced participation levels are dropping or at best have hit a plateau.

How would I solve the problems
1. Paid development officer should as a priority focus on fixtures and support for clubs. 
2. Guarantee each team 25 games, switch the balance from 80/20 training games to 50/50
3. Structured, promoted adult leagues
4. Divisional boards to have a unified approach to age grading and fixture schedules to addresss the ludicrious situation where players have to choose football or hurling at u8ís!!!
5. These underage blitzes to be reviewed, all of them, football, hurling and camogie are on Sun resulting in clashes
6. Astronomical amount of games called off due to waterlogged pitches, with the amount of money washing through the GAA now it would be a massive investment in infrastructure if they built a number of 3G pitches around the county available for games
7. Clubs to take responsibility for the improvement in skill standards and to be given the opportunity to do this.
8. Schools to be supported but only with the  involvement of the local clubs

Excellent post. I also feel strongly about this, we don't get enough regular (I mean weekly, not 3 in one week and none for 3 weeks!) games. Soccer and rugby are years ahead in this regard and we are seeing the draw from GAA towards theses sports. Players want to play games, not endless training sessions from January. It is upto the county board/CCCC (i.e. someone at the highest level in Antrim GAA) to make this radical change. Forget about interocunty being priority no.1 in Antrim, lets put the club at the centre of everything we do.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #37946 on: June 18, 2018, 10:00:48 AM »
Hear a rough enough event down the Ards yesterday.. Tut tut!!

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #37947 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
And the ref delayed the start of the second half as he left his pencil in the changing room. Amateur hour  ;)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37948 on: June 18, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »
And the ref delayed the start of the second half as he left his pencil in the changing room. Amateur hour  ;)

::)
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #37949 on: June 18, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »

::)