Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breakingball

Dunloy should account for ballycran. Slaughtneil are a different animal. They schooled dunloy two years ago so will be intetesting to see what has changed if anything in two year.

St endas have a very tough quarterfinal draw against the 3rd? Best team in derry. If they can get over that game they could go on to win ulster. Maybe against keady in the final?

Only team who have any chance of stopping gort is coleraine but gort.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: breakingball on October 02, 2019, 10:30:52 PM
Dunloy should account for ballycran. Slaughtneil are a different animal. They schooled dunloy two years ago so will be intetesting to see what has changed if anything in two year.

St endas have a very tough quarterfinal draw against the 3rd? Best team in derry. If they can get over that game they could go on to win ulster. Maybe against keady in the final?

Only team who have any chance of stopping gort is coleraine but gort.

Will be a Derry treble the year I'd say, Slaughtneil shoe in, banagher too cute, Coleraine aren't the side they were 3 years ago but should just shade it

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: marty34 on October 02, 2019, 05:19:34 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 02, 2019, 04:50:10 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 02, 2019, 04:38:13 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 02, 2019, 04:22:39 PM
they do but thats not any concern for the other 3 teams at this stage who have to wait 4 weeks for another game.

its actually more farcical for the senior camogie finalist in Antrim who have to wait over a month to play their Ulster Final.

The camogie thing takes me to the cleaners.

Clonduff won the AI intermediate title and are still in the Ulster intermediate grade.

How does that work?

Senior in Ulster only has Antrim v Derry. No semis etc, just them two into a final.

Intermediate only has Down v Tyrone. same as above except its the two senior teams from each county who enter it.

Junior is a bit more messed up. the Antrim reps are the countys Intermediate champs, same with Down, Armagh etc. The Cavan senior champs etc

they have then a Junior B and then a shield comp as well.

Its a complete joke of a set up where teams win ulster (and potentially an all ireland) and stay in the same competition each year.

Clonduff should of moved up to senior but then it would leave Tyrone in limbo as intermediate on their own. Corsserlough from Cavan won Ulster Junior 2 years on the trot so Cavan should of moved up into intermediate but hey ho no one thought of all of that.

In hurling there was a rule where if you won an Ulster, you were 'barred' from that competition for the next 5 years!!  Tough on smaller clubs etc.

Rule was relaxed, iirc, to maybe 2 years, a few years ago.  I stand to be corrected.

Funny if you look back at Kilkenny's club teams, who win their Junior and Intermediate etc., when they go up the following year, they are never far away.  Clara were a good example and there was another few teams who won or nearly won their championship, when they moved up the following year.

Maybe that means there's not much difference in their gradings at sen, int. and junior level.  Other counties seem to have a massive gap between them.

The camogie set up doesnt seem to move with the trends of how teams are doing and esp the county teams. Down are stronger than Antrim and Derry at the moment yet thats not reflected in the club set up with the Down team winning an all ireland club title yet not moving up to senior.

The Cavan senior champions won the Ulster Junior title 2 years in a row and their representatives, Crosserlough (who won it the past 2 years) were back in the same competition for a 3rd time in a row.

Really doesnt make sense at all though the camogie set up never makes sense.
hurl like f**k boi!

marty34

Not much between Down and Derry in camogie DR.  They drew their last meeting in summer I think.

Antrim a bit behind but Antrim played a full Loughgiel team a couple of years ago.  No other clubs involved for some reason.  That's changed now but need a good mix of clubs involved to strengthen county.

I understand, in a way, the Cavan team.  They have no competition so no rule to move up.  As you say, they should try to push on at a higher level but success, to them, would be winning Ulster. 

Probably in camogie is there seems to be 1 really strong team in several counties and looks that way for the forseeable future.

NAG1

Regardless of the reason, it is a bit of joke to have to wait a month between games at this late time of the year.
More reason to try and get some consensus on a fixture calendar that is to the benefit of clubs.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: marty34 on October 03, 2019, 09:28:52 AM
Not much between Down and Derry in camogie DR.  They drew their last meeting in summer I think.

Antrim a bit behind but Antrim played a full Loughgiel team a couple of years ago.  No other clubs involved for some reason.  That's changed now but need a good mix of clubs involved to strengthen county.

I understand, in a way, the Cavan team.  They have no competition so no rule to move up.  As you say, they should try to push on at a higher level but success, to them, would be winning Ulster. 

Probably in camogie is there seems to be 1 really strong team in several counties and looks that way for the forseeable future.

They seem to be more content in creating lesser competitions than trying to progress teams up hte way.

The Junior B championship was created last year which has the Donegal senior champs, Armagh intermediate, Monaghan senior, Cavan Intermediate and that goes through now to an All Ireland series.

I do think they do good work to promote the game and in Ulster but they really do get stagnant in terms of progressing counties who are improving - i.e. Down

Tho i do think that the Antrim Junior champions should be moving up to the Junior B rather than a shield where they currently are in.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnnycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 03, 2019, 02:16:51 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 03, 2019, 09:28:52 AM

They seem to be more content in creating lesser competitions than trying to progress teams up hte way.

The Junior B championship was created last year which has the Donegal senior champs, Armagh intermediate, Monaghan senior, Cavan Intermediate and that goes through now to an All Ireland series.

I do think they do good work to promote the game and in Ulster but they really do get stagnant in terms of progressing counties who are improving - i.e. Down

Tho i do think that the Antrim Junior champions should be moving up to the Junior B rather than a shield where they currently are in.

Not sure its a good thing to allow B teams or reserve teams to play outside their own county championships either.

Loughgiel camogs have a senior team and a junior team representing them in Ulster.

Then again the Camogie board allow that to happen at intercounty level, so they're consistent in their wrongness IMO.

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be fair it is their second team that competes in the competition. there are some within antrim camogie who are doing their best to hinder Loughgiel and ourselves in more recent times in terms of trying to stop success.

Loughgiel are the standard we all have to get better than, simple as that. they have a good template that works in terms of youth development but theres some who would see the best way yo better them is to try and handicap them off the pitch rather than beat them on it.

we had this year the Antrim county board insist they grade 17 senior players and ourselves 15 while at the same time allowing everyone else at senior level to only grade 13 - as per the rules - for league games. thats not how to get better than a team, you do it on the pitch and off it through your own youth development and coaching.

Down to be fair have improved so so much and its good to see.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnnycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 03, 2019, 03:18:38 PM
to be fair it is their second team that competes in the competition. there are some within antrim camogie who are doing their best to hinder Loughgiel and ourselves in more recent times in terms of trying to stop success.

Loughgiel are the standard we all have to get better than, simple as that. they have a good template that works in terms of youth development but theres some who would see the best way yo better them is to try and handicap them off the pitch rather than beat them on it.

we had this year the Antrim county board insist they grade 17 senior players and ourselves 15 while at the same time allowing everyone else at senior level to only grade 13 - as per the rules - for league games. thats not how to get better than a team, you do it on the pitch and off it through your own youth development and coaching.

There's a far bigger spread of camogie clubs in Down than there is hurling, I'd say by a factor of 2 or 3. I've been to a few underage camogie blitzes in Down and you can't get moving at them.

All good to see.

A few NA men involved in Clonduff I see. Graffan married into the Carr's (pronounced quarr) and Yukker too, an ex Dunlodian.

Na Glinntí Glasa

aye he is. he was over the Down side a few years ago that won a junior all ireland did he not?

We do have a good amount of camogie sides in antrim but belfast was really falling badly in the past number of season. Rossa really need to drop out of senior into intermediate and down to D2 as they are either not travelling to games or getting tanked. It serves no purpose for anyone.

St Johns are still a D2 side but have found the going tough with injuries and girls retiring.

That being said St Endas, sarsfields, st pauls etc are pushing on at under age level and getting the teams out by means of amalgamations with some country sides like Lor Mor & Glenavy so they can field together.

still a lot of hard work needed in terms of coaching in that code in the city to get it back around.
hurl like f**k boi!

MoChara

Quote from: johnnycool on October 03, 2019, 04:12:34 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 03, 2019, 03:18:38 PM

There's a far bigger spread of camogie clubs in Down than there is hurling, I'd say by a factor of 2 or 3. I've been to a few underage camogie blitzes in Down and you can't get moving at them.

All good to see.

A few NA men involved in Clonduff I see. Graffan married into the Carr's (pronounced quarr) and Yukker too, an ex Dunlodian.

Cushendall Manager Ciaran Kearney's married a girl down there recently too I believe.

ciaran1988

Ulster campaigns throw in this weekend for St Endas in the Intermediate and Gort Na Mona in the junior, how do we see our (Antrim) teams doing.

I'm really looking forward to the St Endas game think it will be some battle and the winner will walk the rest. Banagher will be a tough nut to crack having just dropped down from Derry senior. Big difference of opinion with Paddy Power going St Endas 4/6 Banagher 6/4 and BoyleSports going St Endas 6/5 Banagher  8/11. As much as I don't like to say it I think Banagher are great bet with Paddy at 6/4

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ciaran1988 on October 10, 2019, 05:03:04 AM
Ulster campaigns throw in this weekend for St Endas in the Intermediate and Gort Na Mona in the junior, how do we see our (Antrim) teams doing.

I'm really looking forward to the St Endas game think it will be some battle and the winner will walk the rest. Banagher will be a tough nut to crack having just dropped down from Derry senior. Big difference of opinion with Paddy Power going St Endas 4/6 Banagher 6/4 and BoyleSports going St Endas 6/5 Banagher  8/11. As much as I don't like to say it I think Banagher are great bet with Paddy at 6/4

Hard to call st endas v Banagher. In the junior should be gorts but eunans will be far fitter team which might level it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 10, 2019, 06:16:31 PM

Hard to call st endas v Banagher. In the junior should be gorts but eunans will be far fitter team which might level it

Very difficult to call, we were very lucky to come away with a win last year v Swatragh so the question would be, are Banagher better than Swatragh were last year and are St Endas better than us this year? 

I've seen St Endas a good few times this year, they are a lot stronger now than last year. Who's playing for Banagher? The Lynch's playing? Any county players?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 10, 2019, 07:54:59 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 10, 2019, 06:16:31 PM

Aye McCloskeys and big lynch et Al.

Very difficult to call, we were very lucky to come away with a win last year v Swatragh so the question would be, are Banagher better than Swatragh were last year and are St Endas better than us this year? 

I've seen St Endas a good few times this year, they are a lot stronger now than last year. Who's playing for Banagher? The Lynch's playing? Any county players?