NHL 2019

Started by Milltown Row2, February 16, 2019, 09:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Jeez! How did Cork win that match? They were brutal and won a right few frees, some soft tbf.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Clare missed a few easy frees and gave up a very soft goal. Horgan for Cork on the other hand was just about perfect. 15 of Corks 20 points were from frees.

Milltown Row2

The last four minutes of the Tipp Wexford game the ref lost his whistle!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 17, 2019, 05:15:38 PM

Or did Father Damo Lennon steal it?

Mayo4Sam

You need to commit GBH sometimes to get a free in hurling, the one where the tipp full forward was swung round by the arm was outrageous
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

johnnycool

Refs at this level are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The dragging using the spare arm around the body of an opponent should be a free all day long, but we've allowed it to be part and parcel of the game for so long now that for the referees to start blowing for it (they all need to be consistent) would bring them under fire for the manly game brigade and the let it flow brigade.
Take the hit and gurning in Feb/March and once they realise that its going to be punished then we'd see it removed from the game come summer time and we'd have an even better spectacle IMO.

seafoid

#gurriers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/galway-a-level-above-mattie-kenny-s-leggy-dublin-1.379706"
Sutcliffe was fortunate to escape with a yellow after a rash pull across Joe Canning in front of an outraged crowd in the stand"

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: seafoid on February 18, 2019, 12:33:44 PM
#gurriers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/galway-a-level-above-mattie-kenny-s-leggy-dublin-1.379706"
Sutcliffe was fortunate to escape with a yellow after a rash pull across Joe Canning in front of an outraged crowd in the stand"
That link routeds me to:
O Se is latest to pull out
Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 01:00
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/o-se-is-latest-to-pull-out-1.379706

seafoid

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 18, 2019, 02:55:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 18, 2019, 12:33:44 PM
#gurriers

That link routeds me to:
O Se is latest to pull out
Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 01:00
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/o-se-is-latest-to-pull-out-1.379706

The Irish Times has been cutting back on sub editors and perhaps IT as well

Circulation

H1 09   114 487
H1 18   60,352

imtommygunn

Tyrell believes Limerick are not top 3. Is he doing a David Brady or does he believe that I wonder?

The Tipp game yesterday was good. I still think in the championship Tipp win that game by a bit but they really are punching beneath their weight with the players they have. There's no reason they shouldn't be serious contenders.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 18, 2019, 05:14:49 PM
Tyrell believes Limerick are not top 3. Is he doing a David Brady or does he believe that I wonder?

The Tipp game yesterday was good. I still think in the championship Tipp win that game by a bit but they really are punching beneath their weight with the players they have. There's no reason they shouldn't be serious contenders.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/jackie-tyrrell-i-can-t-see-limerick-retaining-all-ireland-in-2019-1.3795259

Jackie Tyrrell: I can't see Limerick retaining All-Ireland in 2019
Plenty of teams have begun their All-Ireland defence well in recent years, only to fizzle out
Sat, Feb 16, 2019, 06:00

Malachy Clerkin

Limerick's Conor Boylan in action against Tipperary earlier this month. Photograph: Ken Sutton/Inpho
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to LinkedInShare to PinterestShare to RedditShare to WhatsApp

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to LinkedInShare to PinterestShare to RedditShare to WhatsApp

Limerick head to Nowlan Park tomorrow looking like they've wintered in a health spa. The only team in Division 1A with two wins from two, the best points difference against their name, the fewest scores conceded. A squad that famously didn't bring the Liam MacCarthy Cup into a pub during the All-Ireland celebrations look like they barely thought to darken the door of one themselves.
We probably shouldn't be too surprised, in all truth. It wouldn't be correct to say that the era of doing the dog through the winter months after an All-Ireland win might is gone but it certainly looks different now than it used to. Last August, GAA reporters looked on in horror when they turned up for the traditional morning-after quotes session in the Limerick team hotel to find Kyle Hayes fresh out from a pool session. Young people these days.
Whatever the extent or otherwise of celebratory indulgence, it has become relatively common for All-Ireland winners to begin the following year's league campaign as though they mean business. This time two years ago, Tipperary were top of the league after two games, leading the way in all the same categories as Limerick are now. A 1-18 to 0-15 win over Waterford in Walsh Park in their second game moved Derek McGrath to say: "I don't think we'll be the only team beaten by six points by Tipperary this year."
Providing momentum
Who had a mind to disagree? Nobody, really. Not in early 2017. Tipp were flying – and went on to beat Clare by seven points next time out. Yet they finished the spring with a filleting from Galway in the league final, fell to Cork in the first round of Munster and never got their legs properly under them for the rest of the summer.
•   Cork's clinical Patrick Horgan leaves Clare to rue profligacy
•   Limerick take gold in main event to build on last year's success
•   Limerick blitz Kilkenny to make a champion statement
It happens more than you'd imagine. The sheer horsepower generated by an All-Ireland win can often still be providing momentum through the early part of the following year, sometimes giving a false impression of just how well a team is going. Clare were irresistible in the early knockings of the 2014 league but petered out come summertime. The Kilkenny team that won five games on the bounce in the 2016 league ultimately ran out of road in that year's All-Ireland final.
"When you win an All-Ireland, the confidence it gives you is unbelievable," said Jackie Tyrrell during the week. "And that's not to be understated, it propels you forward. You just want to stay hurling. You saw Limerick went out to Boston and they cleaned the floor with everyone out there.
"They were enjoying themselves and it was great to see. They're on a conveyor belt and there's a lot of good things going on in Limerick hurling and if you're a player, you want to be a front-runner in that.
"But I wouldn't be really getting too carried away by Limerick just yet. It's a long year. I don't see them winning the All-Ireland this year, I really don't. They're nearly going too well for me now. I would be wrapping some of those lads in cotton wool and holding them back a bit. It's a long year. I know we can only analyse what we see in front of us but I wouldn't be getting too excited yet."
Suspicious
Clearly, the former Kilkenny defender – and soon to be Laochra Gael subject – has more experience than most in attempting to pick up after you've left off the previous year on the steps of the Hogan Stand. There is a time to be filling the tank and there is a time to be emptying it. As the calendar pages turn, we will learn more about what Limerick have going for them. Here in early February, Tyrrell is reserving the right to be suspicious of what he's seeing.
"I don't have them in the top three in terms of winning the All-Ireland. I think you have Clare, Galway and Tipperary – I don't see Kilkenny or Limerick in that bracket at the minute. I don't have them in there. John Kiely will be sitting at home rubbing his hands together when he hears that! But honestly, I don't think anyone is as far on as Clare are at the minute and until the league throws up more, I wouldn't have Limerick or Kilkenny in there."
Whether he's right or wrong, we won't find out until we find out. Right now, Limerick's only problem is they won't know until then either.

manfromdelmonte

Limerick definitely look far better conditioned than most other teams.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 18, 2019, 08:27:40 PM
Limerick definitely look far better conditioned than most other teams.

They've hit the league running and even with the Ballyhale lads available they'd have still got past Kilkenny. Impressed with the consistency throughout the squad, you have to marvel at Shane Dowling, the guy has stopped since getting over his injury, outstanding I thought yesterday and brings a level of hurling that the likes of Canning of the modern game and date I say it DJ of before, while completely a different style as ones I've mentioned, it's the excitement he brings when on the ball.. played a bit further than normal, he wasn't necessarily playing at 11

Farrandeelin

Bit of a fcuk up now with the dates. Hurling final to be played in Thurles now?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.