Round 4: Monaghan v Mayo: St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 6/3/2016

Started by moysider, February 29, 2016, 03:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Looks like Mayo could be heading into last 3 rounds without any points on the board. Monaghan unlucky not to take anything from Dublin. Last years game was a testy affair. Mayo were bullied to an extent in last quarter in Ballybofey and that won't have gone unnoticed.

Farrandeelin

Maybe Rochford should leave well enough alone from now on as I thought the subs disrupted Mayo's rhythm yesterday. I know SOS et al were out injured and stufg, but subs are there to augment the team. Yesterday the opposite happened. Loftus did ok, but he is given the benefit of the doubt seen as it's his first proper year senior.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Shrewdness

If Mayo can curtail Mc Manus` influence, I wouldn`t be one bit surprised to see them
beat Monaghan in this game.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 29, 2016, 08:51:24 PM
Maybe Rochford should leave well enough alone from now on as I thought the subs disrupted Mayo's rhythm yesterday. I know SOS et al were out injured and stufg, but subs are there to augment the team. Yesterday the opposite happened. Loftus did ok, but he is given the benefit of the doubt seen as it's his first proper year senior.

Loftus replaced Higgins. His hamstring could see him gone a while now.
Loftus has the quality. At the moment he's possibly trying too hard to impress when he gets on the field but you get that.

I think we need Barrett and Seamie around. Both leaders imo. Have great time for Gibbons and Parsons but not convinced they compliment each other. I thought that the game had gone away from us anyway with a good bit to go.

I realise that the Mayo backroom is full of stats men. The glaring stat for them must be inability turning possession into scoring chances. If they can find a way to improve that we could be going places. I suspect most stats are fairly good.

Syferus

This is a tough one. Monaghan have proven to be better than Donegal so even last weekend's performance won't be enough for Mayo. And if this one ends in another loss the tailspin will be well and truly complete.

maigheo

I see Tommy Tom Carr has written Mayo off as a busted flush and will absolutely go no where this year.Maybe he will be right but I doubt it.I think Mayo will beat Monaghan next sunday as its a must win game win for us.I am still disappointed in Evan Regan as he has shown nothing to suggest that he will ever be a top class inter county forward that so many  were touting him to be. Shane Nally has played very well up to now but I suspect pace may be an issue with him when the summer comes.

Maguire01

Has this game been moved? Was supposed to be in Castleblaney.

ballinaman

Not overly concerned about the result of this one to be honest. Performances have been on an upward trajectory and have been fierce unlucky with the type of injuries sustained. Collective training is always difficult for Mayo this time of year with the amount of lads in Dublin, nevermind the lost 6 weeks before Christmas with no manager and training at all.

imtommygunn

Donegal were very close to a full team on sunday - way more than Mayo - so while it was a good win for Donegal I wouldn't read too much into it from a Mayo perspective.

cluaineois

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 01, 2016, 06:56:44 AM
Yes game was moved due to the large number
of Mayo season ticket holders. The Donegal game has now been fixed for 'blaney.
once your a clone your never alone

Main Street

Quote from: cluaineois on March 01, 2016, 08:29:41 AM
I thought it was moved because of better parking for tractors in Clones.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 11:14:13 AM

I think you mean that much of the parking in Clones is only suitable for tractors, especially at this time of year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2016, 08:13:20 AM
Donegal were very close to a full team on sunday - way more than Mayo - so while it was a good win for Donegal I wouldn't read too much into it from a Mayo perspective.
Going on the last championship meeting between the two Donegal were missing P Durcan,K Lacey,M McHugh,C McFadden on Sunday and C Toye,N Gallagher came on as subs.

Mayo were missing D Clarke,B Moran,T Cunniffe,C O Connor while the other starters from last August all featured on Sunday.

If I were to make one excuse for Mayo it would panel fitness which is not at the level it should be and understandable so.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on March 01, 2016, 11:29:52 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2016, 11:14:13 AM

I think you mean that much of the parking in Clones is only suitable for tractors, especially at this time of year.
Things have changed much since your county was last there :)

J70

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 01, 2016, 07:24:19 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 01, 2016, 08:13:20 AM
Going on the last championship meeting between the two Donegal were missing P Durcan,K Lacey,M McHugh,C McFadden on Sunday and C Toye,N Gallagher came on as subs.

Mayo were missing D Clarke,B Moran,T Cunniffe,C O Connor while the other starters from last August all featured on Sunday.

If I were to make one excuse for Mayo it would panel fitness which is not at the level it should be and understandable so.

Anthony Thompson, Leo McLoone and Martin McElhinney came on as subs too. All regulars over the past few years (Leo missed league and early championship last season)