Mayo v Westmeath, Sunday March 9th.

Started by moysider, March 03, 2014, 07:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

We really need 2 more points here to give us a bit of breathing space. No doubt Westmeath will be desperate to take something out of the league and will have to give this a right go at home.

The Mayo selection will be interesting. With the U21s playing the following Wednesday Gallagher might be sitting this one out and maybe the plan is to give Doherty an extended run in the half forward line anyway.

I expect Higgins to remain at the back for the time being anyway in the continued absense of Barrett and Cuniffe and Vaughan and Seamie may be held in reserve for another couple of games yet.

Probably contrary to general consensus I liked the settling influence Andy had the last day and he probably needs all the game time he can get. On last days form Varley deserves to start and Freeman should be persisted with at ff.

Any thoughts?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: moysider on March 03, 2014, 07:14:21 PM

We really need 2 more points here to give us a bit of breathing space. No doubt Westmeath will be desperate to take something out of the league and will have to give this a right go at home.

The Mayo selection will be interesting. With the U21s playing the following Wednesday Gallagher might be sitting this one out and maybe the plan is to give Doherty an extended run in the half forward line anyway.

I expect Higgins to remain at the back for the time being anyway in the continued absense of Barrett and Cuniffe and Vaughan and Seamie may be held in reserve for another couple of games yet.

Probably contrary to general consensus I liked the settling influence Andy had the last day and he probably needs all the game time he can get. On last days form Varley deserves to start and Freeman should be persisted with at ff.

Any thoughts?

Persisted with? Surely he's an automatic choice there now, has cemented that position in the last year.

I don't think ye have too much to worry about regarding the 2 points on Sunday. We still have no idea what players are best in what position and are playing to no real identifiable game plan.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

moysider

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 03, 2014, 07:50:27 PM

Any thoughts?

Persisted with? Surely he's an automatic choice there now, has cemented that position in the last year.
I don't think ye have too much to worry about regarding the 2 points on Sunday. We still have no idea what players are best in what position and are playing to no real identifiable game plan.

Dunno, that was his first start in the 2014 league. Andy started the first 2 games at ff. Horan also hauled him off, somewhat harshly I believe,  before ht in AI final.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: moysider on March 03, 2014, 08:10:29 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 03, 2014, 07:50:27 PM

Any thoughts?

Dunno, that was his first start in the 2014 league. Andy started the first 2 games at ff. Horan also hauled him off, somewhat harshly I believe,  before ht in AI final.

That was very harsh, if not stupid, I thought. Was never a fan and thought he would always be one of those panel members who gets a few outings every spring to keep them interested but he was superb last year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mayoman dan

Varley done well off the bench on Sunday i think he will start this one.Doherty is wasted in the half forwards he should be played as a corner forward.Has mikey sweeney joined up with the panel yet id like to see him get a chance aswell?

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 08:48:38 PM
Varley done well off the bench on Sunday i think he will start this one.Doherty is wasted in the half forwards he should be played as a corner forward.Has mikey sweeney joined up with the panel yet id like to see him get a chance aswell?

Mikey was on the bench the last day as was Cillian O Connor, who is supposed to be very close to a return.

The only outstanding injuries appear to be Dillon and Barrett - oh and maybe Parsons if he s retained?

mayoman dan

Is Dillon a guaranteed starter? I dont think he is but if it was up to me Richie Feeney would be starting  which i think is unlikely to happen.Dillon would be a serious man to come off the bench in a tight game

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 09:11:05 PM
Is Dillon a guaranteed starter? I dont think he is but if it was up to me Richie Feeney would be starting  which i think is unlikely to happen.Dillon would be a serious man to come off the bench in a tight game

Come championship and fit I think Dillon will be a guaranteed starter yes. So will Andy, McLoughlin, Freeman and O Connor provided there all fit and well. I don t think much will have changed much. Coaches see a panel in a particular way and don t just tear up the script in my experience.

That would leave a scrum in contention for the 6th spot; Varley, Doherty,Conroy, Coen, Gallagher, Feeney. Maybe a big man like Barry or Aidan or maybe Higgins being given a role.

mayoman dan

Maybe 1 of the under 21s will put there hand up for a spot in the forwards ;)

mayoman dan

If we get everyone fit and on form we will have a serious team.Its nonsense to say we dont have the forwards to win the big prize

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 09:33:46 PM
Maybe 1 of the under 21s will put there hand up for a spot in the forwards ;)

Yeah Gallagher the only one of the U21s possibly making a starting spot. But if they persist with him as a corner forward he could well drift well out of contention. Cant see anybody else make a push. Younger O Connor will need more time.

seafoid

Mayo should win this one handy. Have ye got 8 decent forwards now for the big push ?
Throw in a few young lads if necessary but get the forwards ready for the summer.

mayoman dan

Yeah Gallagher the only one of the U21s possibly making a starting spot. But if they persist with him as a corner forward he could well drift well out of contention. Cant see anybody else make a push. Younger O Connor will need more time.
[/quote]

I was thinking more about him that were not allowed speak of.On a side note Hennelly is far from nailed on to be our keeper in the summer O Malley was told on tues night last he was starting on Sun only to fracture his thumb on the thursday talk about bad luck

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2014, 10:32:13 PM
Mayo should win this one handy. Have ye got 8 decent forwards now for the big push ?
Throw in a few young lads if necessary but get the forwards ready for the summer.

8 decent forwards ?

We haven't a fookin one to take his man on and go direct for the score on the big day but this time of year Varley , doc and co are all stars elect according to every tom dick and Harry from achill to Ballagh.

Before I get jumped on again for negativity , ahh sure it will be jumped all over anyway.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayoman dan

Varley Doherty and Conroy are not good enough IMO. The poor showing by some of our forwards make Regans abscence all the more annoying.