Mayo v Westmeath, Sunday March 9th.

Started by moysider, March 03, 2014, 07:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 10:36:13 PM

Yeah Gallagher the only one of the U21s possibly making a starting spot. But if they persist with him as a corner forward he could well drift well out of contention. Cant see anybody else make a push. Younger O Connor will need more time.

I was thinking more about him that were not allowed speak of.On a side note Hennelly is far from nailed on to be our keeper in the summer O Malley was told on tues night last he was starting on Sun only to fracture his thumb on the thursday talk about bad luck
[/quote]

I knew who you were talking about but there s no point. Have to leave that behind. Too much baggage there.
Bad luck again for O Malley. Clarkie will come into it again as well. Fair play. Great sign. These boys are still hungry.

mayoman dan

I wouldnt be so sure about Clarkie coming back Moy i was told hes finished.IMO hes our best keeper

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 10:49:44 PM
Varley Doherty and Conroy are not good enough IMO. The poor showing by some of our forwards make Regans abscence all the more annoying.

Had to fix that for you Dan. Strict on here - you could get banned for that.

Harsh on Doherty imo. Sigerson team of year last year and then got injured and that shut him down for the year. I mean if you re injured you re injured. Doherty has quality and is still young. Likes of Andy served a long apprenticship before he was nailed down. Several years in fact. We have to look at the quality of the player.

larryin89

I thought it was reported in either western or Mayo news last week that said player is likely to be involved once 21s finished?

I didn't see report so maybe I picked up on it wrong?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayoman dan

Harsh on Doherty imo. Sigerson team of year last year and then got injured and that shut him down for the year. I mean if you re injured you re injured. Doherty has quality and is still young. Likes of Andy served a long apprenticship before he was nailed down. Several years in fact. We have to look at the quality of the player.

I hope Doherty proves me wrong but i stand by my view that hes wasted in the half forward line he needs to be deployed close to goal.This time last year not many of us thought Freeman would come as good as he did for us so hopefully Horan is right to persist with Doherty aswell.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 11:04:24 PM
I wouldnt be so sure about Clarkie coming back Moy i was told hes finished.IMO hes our best keeper

Reminds me of one of the exchange between Ali and Frazier in Manila. Context was that Ali had beaten Foreman and was giving Smokin Joe a shot because he thought Joe was finished. Joe had been smashed by Foreman in a couple of rounds.

Ali ( after several rounds in monsoon heat);  they told me you were finished Joe, they said that you were through!

Frazier; They lied! ( followed by a left hook)

Clarkie will be back.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 11:15:51 PM

I hope Doherty proves me wrong but i stand by my view that hes wasted in the half forward line he needs to be deployed close to goal.This time last year not many of us thought Freeman would come as good as he did for us so hopefully Horan is right to persist with Doherty aswell.

Playing Doherty on wing and Gallagher at 12 would be a bit like playing Rob Kearney at 10 and Sexton at 15.
Easy for anybody that has seen these players down the years. The reality is Horan has to explore all these possibilities for himself. Freeman like others was damaged in earlier regime and confidence may be an issue still. But he s bound back well after the AI mess and nailed some free the last day and showed balls and leadership while doing so. Proper stuff.

Crete Boom

Quote from: mayoman dan on March 03, 2014, 11:04:24 PM

Well last time I talked to him before the Kildare match he said he was still on track to be back in the mix this summer but despite being off colour yesterday Hennelly is still a top class keeper and it will be a real battle to win back the jersey. I hope for his sake Clarkie makes sure the body is 100% right and he doesn't push it too hard to get back in the fold. With him Robbie and O' Malley we are lucky to be well stocked between the posts.

I hope Mikey Sweeney gets a run the next day and I was very impressed with Harrison at the back too. We should be able to nick two points on the face of it but we were supposed to sweep aside Kildare coming off the back of a hammering from the Dubs at home last year and roll over relegation candidates Down but were beaten fair and square by both so I won't be rolling into Mullingar looking for some light entertainment next Sunday ;).

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on March 03, 2014, 11:09:29 PM
I thought it was reported in either western or Mayo news last week that said player is likely to be involved once 21s finished?

I didn't see report so maybe I picked up on it wrong?

I did larry and it was as without foundation as a sinkhole.

In fairness the local lads cant ask the serious questions. If they do the man will give them even less to write about. That s the way it works. Gallagher was speculating that Sweeney and another lad would be joining the panel anon. A bit like ' I think  there s every chance that there s a possibility in all liklihood that X and Y may join the panel some time sooner or later within the not too distant future'

larryin89

Cheers Moy, have a clearer picture now.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

Must say I was disappointed in Shane McHale the last day. He seemed to fumble a lot of ball and was caught out for pace too. He'd want to up his game if he starts against Westmeath. Vaughan impressed when he came on for him in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Mayo should throw on the u21 forwards and forget about those fellas they put on as subs in the last 2 AIFs to zero effect.
Ruthlessness is now required. And Westmeath are cannon fodder.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on March 04, 2014, 11:02:57 PM
Mayo should throw on the u21 forwards and forget about those fellas they put on as subs in the last 2 AIFs to zero effect.
Ruthlessness is now required. And Westmeath are cannon fodder.

I d disagree with all of that seafoid.

Anyway 2 of the U21 forwards played v Kerry. Why play them 3 days before U21 championship?

muppet

Correct, put in last year's minor forward 6.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on March 05, 2014, 12:04:43 AM
Correct, put in last year's minor forward 6.

EW Mayo had a fine U16 team last year, you need to make some room for those lads.