Galway v Monaghan, Super 8s Phase 3. 4/8/18. Pearse Stadium.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 25, 2018, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2018, 01:50:59 PM
If it came down to monaghan a point behind and are awarded a penalty at the death, what does Conor do, go for the safe point or the goal?

Far easier to score a penalty these days in football and Lavelle isn't the most imposing goalkeeper, I'd imagine he'd back himself to goal it.
For that last minute scenario though, what's the likelihood of a player getting as far as the Galway penalty area without getting fouled for the free beforehand when a draw would suffice?

GrandMasterFlash

http://www.hoganstand.com/Monaghan/Article/Index/288586

"Over the last while you would have to say Damien Comer has come in for a lot of serious attention without getting much out of it. There's lot of hanging-on done before the ball comes in."

Hmmm.. he'd better get used to it right n quick..  ::)

Main Street

Maybe Malachy will tínker a bit with the forward line. If Kieran Hughes is fit, possibly start him up front alongside McCarthy. Vinny Corey should have more time on his hands to get involved with the general patterns of the game, now that he doesn't have to embrace Donaghy all the time. Colin Walshe should be  sharper than he was against Kerry.

For sure any Galway team that takes the field will play to win, nevertheless there are questions about how their team will play in the unique championship circumstances they find themselves in, there are no precedents in gaelic football at this level for their interesting predicament. They have already qualified, the do or die championship approach is not an absolute. The semi final is less that 7 days away, what effect will resting a handful of first team regulars have?  Monaghan's task is plain, there is a game out there to be won and they will be all out to win it.

Niall8100

Here's Dara's bit about Monaghan:

After that, it comes down to what happens in Salthill. My sense of it is people down here have latched onto the fact that if Monaghan couldn't put Kerry away at home, when they were the better team on the day, then they probably aren't going to be good enough to beat Galway away.

For what it's worth, that's more or less how I see it. The Monaghan team I saw in Clones played a fine game but it was maybe not just the fantastic performance everyone made it out to be. I don't think they will get away with relying on Rory Beggan at one end and Conor McManus at the other, the way they did against Kerry.

Take those two out of the picture and they got four points from the rest of the team in a game where they were on top for long periods. That's not going to get things done against Galway. For a start, McManus is going to be double marked and the Galway defence isn't going to play nice about it. He'll remember the Kerry game as a kind of a holiday romance, a dream he had one time that he'll never see again.

As for Beggan, I'm not so sure he'll be able to have the influence on the scoreboard he had the last day. Okay, his kick-outs should still be up to par – Monaghan are really well-drilled on that aspect of the game, even though Kerry did get to grips with him in the second half.

But at the other end of the pitch, I'll be surprised to see Beggan put up four points or anything like it. Kerry gave Monaghan 12 kickable frees in Clones – McManus took five of them and Beggan took seven. I'll have a bet with anyone that Galway won't be offering up 12 kickable frees on Saturday.

Go back through the games Galway have played in the championship and look at the scoring chances they've been conceding from frees. Against Mayo, it was six. Against Roscommon, it was down to four. Same with Kildare, just four. Even against Dublin in the league final, Dean Rock only got four frees he could kick at goal and one 45.

I know Beggan can kick them from further out than anybody else but even allowing for that, I just can't see Galway giving up as many chances as Kerry did for him to strut his stuff. They're very disciplined in the tackle. They crowd around the man in possession and rough him up without going too far.

And even if they do give Beggan a few kicks, you can be damn sure somebody will do a Kieran Donaghy on it. I'd say it was no coincidence that Beggan's radar started going a bit wonky in the second half when Donaghy started hopping and trotting and mouthing and generally making a nuisance of himself every time he tried a kick.

So if you have McManus double-marked and you have Beggan's scoring power halved or more, where are the Monaghan scores going to come from?

I keep hearing about Conor McCarthy and Jack McCarron and these lads but I haven't seen them go out and win a championship game for Monaghan when the fat is in the fire. It's all grand and fine running up big scores against Division Four teams in the qualifiers. This is big boy stuff now.

I could be wrong but I don't see Monaghan scoring enough to beat Galway. I don't buy this idea either that Galway will be distracted or will be minding themselves for the semi-final. It doesn't work like that at this time of year.

Will be pretty easy job for Malachy O'Rourke to motivate McCarthy and McCarron anyway, just tell them to read that paragraph about them a few times before the game!

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Kaykays

Bottom line winner avoids Dublin in the semi... get to a final and anything can happen... win or bust in Salthill, who wants it more?? Galway are already in the semis, Monaghan will be by Saturday night... playing the winner of Donegal v Tyrone!!

lenny

Quote from: Niall8100 on August 02, 2018, 11:17:40 PM
Here's Dara's bit about Monaghan:

After that, it comes down to what happens in Salthill. My sense of it is people down here have latched onto the fact that if Monaghan couldn't put Kerry away at home, when they were the better team on the day, then they probably aren't going to be good enough to beat Galway away.

For what it's worth, that's more or less how I see it. The Monaghan team I saw in Clones played a fine game but it was maybe not just the fantastic performance everyone made it out to be. I don't think they will get away with relying on Rory Beggan at one end and Conor McManus at the other, the way they did against Kerry.

Take those two out of the picture and they got four points from the rest of the team in a game where they were on top for long periods. That's not going to get things done against Galway. For a start, McManus is going to be double marked and the Galway defence isn't going to play nice about it. He'll remember the Kerry game as a kind of a holiday romance, a dream he had one time that he'll never see again.

As for Beggan, I'm not so sure he'll be able to have the influence on the scoreboard he had the last day. Okay, his kick-outs should still be up to par – Monaghan are really well-drilled on that aspect of the game, even though Kerry did get to grips with him in the second half.

But at the other end of the pitch, I'll be surprised to see Beggan put up four points or anything like it. Kerry gave Monaghan 12 kickable frees in Clones – McManus took five of them and Beggan took seven. I'll have a bet with anyone that Galway won't be offering up 12 kickable frees on Saturday.

Go back through the games Galway have played in the championship and look at the scoring chances they've been conceding from frees. Against Mayo, it was six. Against Roscommon, it was down to four. Same with Kildare, just four. Even against Dublin in the league final, Dean Rock only got four frees he could kick at goal and one 45.

I know Beggan can kick them from further out than anybody else but even allowing for that, I just can't see Galway giving up as many chances as Kerry did for him to strut his stuff. They're very disciplined in the tackle. They crowd around the man in possession and rough him up without going too far.

And even if they do give Beggan a few kicks, you can be damn sure somebody will do a Kieran Donaghy on it. I'd say it was no coincidence that Beggan's radar started going a bit wonky in the second half when Donaghy started hopping and trotting and mouthing and generally making a nuisance of himself every time he tried a kick.

So if you have McManus double-marked and you have Beggan's scoring power halved or more, where are the Monaghan scores going to come from?

I keep hearing about Conor McCarthy and Jack McCarron and these lads but I haven't seen them go out and win a championship game for Monaghan when the fat is in the fire. It's all grand and fine running up big scores against Division Four teams in the qualifiers. This is big boy stuff now.

I could be wrong but I don't see Monaghan scoring enough to beat Galway. I don't buy this idea either that Galway will be distracted or will be minding themselves for the semi-final. It doesn't work like that at this time of year.

Will be pretty easy job for Malachy O'Rourke to motivate McCarthy and McCarron anyway, just tell them to read that paragraph about them a few times before the game!

That sort of thing can be a double edged sword. On the one hand of course the player will be determined to prove the doubters wrong. On the other hand it will reinforce doubts that  mccarthy and mccarron have about their ability in the big games. It can make the player try too hard and take wrong options. It's dangerous to put too much emphasis on this sort of article from a monaghan point of view. Darragh is probably hoping they do that because he's trying to play on the natural doubts players have about themselves.

GalwayBayBoy

Seems like Sean Andy won't be risked. One black card away from a suspension.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 03, 2018, 01:07:15 PM
Seems like Sean Andy won't be risked. One black card away from a suspension.

He'll might get one of those rescinded on appeal anyway I think, the black card he received against Kerry in the league looked like one that Kyne should have got and was a case of mistaken identity.

Blowitupref

Galway starting with a strong team just the few changes from the last game

Monaghan team

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

15 mins gone. Galway with the wind advantage 0-1 Monaghan 0-3. Some poorly taken frees by McManus,Walsh and Comer.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Fear ón Srath Bán

Galway looking decidedly average so far, and so long as Monaghan don't do a Monaghan they might even win this.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...